BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Creaking sound from the dash?

12-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
elraj
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 2017 20D

Creaking sound from the dash?

Anyone else experiencing a creaking/rattling/vibration sound from the area around the infotainment screen? The noise disappear when I press on parts of the dash (eg. The infotainment screen or the plastic bits below), but usually re-appears later during the drive. It appears on all kinds of surfaces, from perfect highways to icy mountain roads. Although the sound is not constant, and not loud, I find it really annoying and not acceptable for a BMW.

Comments or suggestions welcome.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
mgerousis
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by elraj View Post
Anyone else experiencing a creaking/rattling/vibration sound from the area around the infotainment screen? The noise disappear when I press on parts of the dash (eg. The infotainment screen or the plastic bits below), but usually re-appears later during the drive. It appears on all kinds of surfaces, from perfect highways to icy mountain roads. Although the sound is not constant, and not loud, I find it really annoying and not acceptable for a BMW.

Comments or suggestions welcome.
I have the same exact thing - did not write about it before as I could not clearly explain it , but now that you did, I really feel that sometimes it is very annoying. My car will go for oil change in the next couple of weeks so I will inform BMW service about it and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

I have posted about a very similar problem in the a couple of months ago .. when dealer took my car in they found a couple of clips in the glovebox area had been omitted at build. They fixed this and tightened the trim above the LED strip....no issues since then.
I am so pleased because it was really bugging me especially as the problem was intermittent.

http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1300768

Last edited by Les Paul; 12-05-2016 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: link added to old post
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I had the exact same issue. I could get it to stop by pushing on the wood trim running across the dash near the start stop button. I still does it periodically so I will mention it at next service.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
elraj
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 2017 20D

Thanks guys.

I took the car to the dealer today. Although they claimed they've never heard of the issue and were unable to reproduce the creaking sound during their 20 km test drive, they re-assembled the platic trim above the LED's and attahed some rubber studs behind it.

Everything is now fine.

They lent me a BMW 2'er in the meantime. Have to say that the 2'er felt more luxurius interior-wise compared to my X1 Msport. The X1 is a bit too plastic fantastic for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
Chrisbl
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48

Bumping old thread.
I've got the same issue on my '16 20i. I've been to the dealer once already regarding this issue. They disassembled and reassembled the trim above the LED bar, but the issue persists.

The rattle is getting pretty extreme now with snowy roads. Has anyone found a fix for it?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:44 AM   #7
Wadadli Cooler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive25d Msport F48

I've just bought a 2017 car with this issue. I've got a copy of the TIS manuals, and there is a manufacturer fix for this. Looks easy to do. The instructions say to remove the glove box, pull up the dash, and insert self adhesive cloth tape in between a clip somewhere. I'm going to have a go soon, so I'll post some pictures or a video if it resolves the issue.

Update, forgot to take pictures, but the 'fix' didn't work. I found the problem to be the very top of the dash flexing and rubbing against the windscreen. I found that wedging a piece of foam rubber in the gap between dash and windscreen stopped the creeking. I sent off for some 25mm closed cell foam cord off eBay, and stuffed it in the gap all the way along.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wadadli Cooler; 11-18-2021 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #8
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

following
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:50 PM   #9
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

It's incredible the lengths people will go to for an annoying vibration sound.

But please post a detailed write up of how to disassemble and reassemble, I am sure that will be the biggest pita
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #10
bluebossanova
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1

Hi All,
Does anyone has creaking noise from indoor handles?(as specially when you touch and squeeze it)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 06:49 AM   #11
JohnMcClane408
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M Sport

I have the exact same noise coming from the screen area… will tell the dealer about it during next service. Glad I’m not the only one here
Appreciate 0