X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Apple Carplay

12-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
derrick2533
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48

Apple Carplay

Newbie here. My wife just bought a 2018 X1 with close to every option except Carplay.

I've read through posts on here and also contacted BMW Assist/Genius...and I'm still confused. The car has Business Nav with the touchscreen..but in ConnectedDrive there is no option to download Carplay.

Sounds like some people on here have the same options as me, and were able to see Carplay as a download option for $300.

I would assume it should just be a software update to enable the download option, unless I'm missing something? It's our first BMW, and I gotta admit it's a bit frustrating that BMW makes it so difficult to add something as simple as Carplay to a 2018 model when Kia's have had it as standard options for years now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
macdime
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

From my understanding, the business navigation does not come equipped for the CarPlay upgrade. Only the navigation professional (609 option) does. It seems we may be stuck at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
pandauk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Do you have the wireless charging or extended bluetooth? I think you need to have the wifi antenna to be able to use carplay. So if you buy that and code it, it *should* be configurable technically speaking. But not sure how you get the CarPlay option in the connecteddrive screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
derrick2533
Rep

Start a Carplay Petition?

Thanks for the responses. I thought X1's don't even have the professional Nav 609 option?

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but it makes no sense to me why BMW wouldn't be more helpful with this inquiry. The only responses I'm getting are that my car is not compatible...go pound sand.

If you can get Carplay preparation during a build with business Nav....why can't you have that option to add Carplay after the fact too? I think 2019's come standard with Carplay now, but it's impossible to add it to a 2018 that has every other option except carplay?

unless the 6CP option is some state of the art engineering feat that BMW engineers take weeks to add during a new build, there has to be a simple way for BMW to just make it available to customers who didn't purchase it during a build.

ok...rant over..Maybe if enough of us petition, they'll decide to listen and make the simple changes? Who's with me on this? (Jerry Maguire voice haha)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
macdime
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

I am starting to wonder if it can still be coded. I looked in another forum and the individual had the same specs as I do, except a few non-technical options, and was able to add CarPlay. My car is in Europe at the moment, US spec, and unable to connect to the connected drive app. Once I return, I plan to check and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
derrick2533
Rep

Thanks MacDime...let me know if you have any luck.

I received another response from BMW USA Genius today....saying my wife's car doesn't have Carplay and doesn't have the wireless charging option....sorry we couldn't help.

Is this typical BMW customer service? Cause in my book that's unacceptable. Is it too much to ask for a more helpful response like "Hey idiot we told you that your 2018 doesn't have the option you want....BUT you can add wireless charging (part #XYZ) and then contact us for a simple software update that will then enable the $300 carplay download option in your car". WHOA...rocket science?! or basic customer service expected from a premium automaker?

My wife is frustrated enough that she's just gonna return the car at this point. Carplay was one of her must-haves and we were told it would be possible in this specific car she bought..guess not.

Gonna post some negative reviews online about BMW Genius having completely useless customer service.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick2533 View Post

My wife is frustrated enough that she's just gonna return the car at this point. Carplay was one of her must-haves and we were told it would be possible in this specific car she bought..guess not.

Gonna post some negative reviews online about BMW Genius having completely useless customer service.
I don't think your issue is with the BMW Genius — that's just the truth, given your configuration — but, if you have the sales representation that confirms the "CarPlay possible" claim, you do have a very solid case of misrepresentation against whoever sold you the vehicle. That's where I'd start.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

FWIW I went through almost exactly the same experience in December with the x2 I was purchasing in NH and even bimmertech says there's no options, nothing they can enable, and that they suggest their $3k kit but haven't gotten back to me when I say I have 70% of the parts they suggest I needed.

My salesman who was very knowledgeable elsewhere dropped the ball on this and accepted blame which is why I'm trading that x2 in when a new 2019 x2 he ordered for me comes in.

There's clearly a lack of certain options that makes these cars unlike most others in not being able to accept Carplay and other similar functions.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 12:38 AM   #9
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Mine is loaded and also missing the CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
derrick2533
Rep

Yea, I'm really disappointed with BMW about this Carplay nonsense. If it could have been added at the factory, it should be simple enough to add after the fact if the car already has every other possible option except Carplay.

BMW should at least inform dealerships on what hardware/software needs to be added to allow Carplay since customers are asking for this option. The answer can't just be ...thanks for purchasing our car fully loaded, but you're out of luck with the Carplay since you didn't order it originally.

Unless one German guy at the factory is the only person who knows how to add Carplay?...maybe

It's 2019 BMW..wake up!
Appreciate 1
mbr8831.50
      01-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
twobytes
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Hello,

I have the same issue in Cyprus, nobody can tell me why they cannot put CarPlay on a pre-production car. They don't provide it as an option and I really don't get it.

Do you know the reason?

Regards,
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:15 AM   #12
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

CarPlay is actually standard on the MY2019 X1.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #13
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Hi
You will need to go to BMW connected drive and register. Once registered you will be able to see what functionality is loaded/active for your car (you enter VIN and register your car). You may also visit the shop/store and buy additional services. If you hav prof nav and 8.8” display you should be able to buy car play subscription (it is a subscription service sold for 12 month at a time). If you buy then will remotely activate the function through your car internal sim.
You can now longer buy Apple CarPlay lifetime functionality.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 07:51 AM   #14
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
Hello,

I have the same issue in Cyprus, nobody can tell me why they cannot put CarPlay on a pre-production car. They don't provide it as an option and I really don't get it.

Do you know the reason?

Regards,
The reason will probably be that you have basic nav (or no nav) and a 6.5” display. For car play you need to have 8.8” display otherwise they say it is not available for your vehicle. Sorry

Last edited by MJE60; 02-18-2019 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #15
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick2533 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I thought X1's don't even have the professional Nav 609 option?

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but it makes no sense to me why BMW wouldn't be more helpful with this inquiry. The only responses I'm getting are that my car is not compatible...go pound sand.

If you can get Carplay preparation during a build with business Nav....why can't you have that option to add Carplay after the fact too? I think 2019's come standard with Carplay now, but it's impossible to add it to a 2018 that has every other option except carplay?

unless the 6CP option is some state of the art engineering feat that BMW engineers take weeks to add during a new build, there has to be a simple way for BMW to just make it available to customers who didn't purchase it during a build.

ok...rant over..Maybe if enough of us petition, they'll decide to listen and make the simple changes? Who's with me on this? (Jerry Maguire voice haha)
Hi
I checked, business nav is not required, Nav plus on an x1 will do. They told me the issue has nothing to do with nav either but down to the size of CID (central info display) If 6.5” then Apple will not supply car play because they argue 8.8” display is needed for functionality to work properly.
Sorry

Last edited by MJE60; 02-18-2019 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Hi
I checked, business nav is not required, Nav plus on an x1 will do. The issue has nothing to do with nav either but totally down to the size of CID 9central info display) If 6.5” then Apple will not supply car play because they argue 8.8” display is needed for functionality to work properly.
Sorry
If you want to retrofit 8.8” display as I have done then you could use retrofit suppliers to give you the RSC code to activate CarPlay (but you might lose it when the dealer reflashes the ecu).
That's not 100% accurate as some have found out here and in the x2 forum, there's a combination of missing options that will prevent Carplay even via MMI or retrofits with the 8.8" screen in a 2018 vehicle, but apparently it's a rare combo of missed options.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 02:07 PM   #17
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
That's not 100% accurate as some have found out here and in the x2 forum, there's a combination of missing options that will prevent Carplay even via MMI or retrofits with the 8.8" screen in a 2018 vehicle, but apparently it's a rare combo of missed options.
Hi
I forgot forum members are global and the build spec on cars varies from country to country, so I stand corrected. My apologies.

Looking at the technical spec for f48 cars (USA & europe) there appear to be 3 head units are available, a basic media only, media and navigation (same unit for nav and Nav plus) and finally advanced Harman Kardon head unit which may just be the media and nav unit with Harman Kardon markings on top of HU but certainly has additional external audio equipment (e.g. amplifier and digital equaliser in x1 boot) installed. My understanding from technical literature is all units have an integrated Bluetooth module but the basic media HU (possibly some other rare option combo for nav unit also) may not have the Bluetooth antenna fitted (or function enabled) as standard. Luckily they can be installed and/or enabled at later date —> antenna plugged in to socket!. My understanding from tech spec sheets is all units with Bluetooth enabled (just coding) can have enhanced Bluetooth function enabled if hands free is fitted and enabled. Original BMW tech sheets state that cars with “variant hands free” can also have enhanced usb, Bluetooth and smartphone integration added later at customer request. However if a build spec does not have hands free telephony then BMW will not offer retrofit enhanced Bluetooth and this may be why BMW also says CarPlay is not available/possible. Again I speculate but this may be because BMW CarPlay literature offers certain features (e.g could be hands free interaction or wi-fi hot spot etc). Here again a microphone (all head units support hands free) and wi-fi antenna can be retrofitted. Now, what is technically possible may be different to what BMW are prepared to allow/offer as a retrofit. BMW May also offer different explanations of why something can or cannot be done. Technically, my understanding is all F48 head units should be able to support Apple CarPlay. Whilst Apple car play can run through wi-fi, Bluetooth or usb it may be BMW are saying not possible for some builds because there is not a full set of functionality. These could be simple fixes such as Bluetooth antenna or retrofitting hands free function (microphones) etc
The build spec for my f48 has basic nav, basic hands free telephony and I can connect my phone for both voice and audio streaming. I was told CarPlay was not available because it needed an 8.8” monitor, the smaller display is not suitable for the functionality. Looking at what is possible through ecu coding, namely many functions are a simple switch on/off and some require additional hardware (but then are possible) I believe perseverance should get you there. Dealers are often reluctant but will, after having tried to put you off, install parts and enable/code them. If you are prepared to get your dealer to fit missing parts, Once fitted and coded/enabled , try Contacting BMW connected team to allow to to buy a CarPlay subscription. Be warned the cost will be high but might be less than trading your vehicle for another.
As a last resort there are services offering to install (basically enable/code CarPlay via usb including provided BMW fsc licence activation codes specific to the vin of your vehicle ) if you or your dealer cannot get BMW to agree. I am not suggesting anyone break the law, so make sure any software installed is licenced.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi
I forgot forum members are global and the build spec on cars varies from country to country, so I stand corrected. My apologies.

As a last resort there are services offering to install (basically enable/code CarPlay via usb including provided BMW fsc licence activation codes specific to the vin of your vehicle ) if you or your dealer cannot get BMW to agree. I am not suggesting anyone break the law, so make sure any software installed is licenced.
Good luck
Even Bimmertech has said there's no solution in my case when I give them my VIN, but since I made CarPlay part of the deal when I was buying the car I have a new x2 on the way with the right options, but there's definitely a poison combo out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:04 PM   #19
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
CarPlay is actually standard on the MY2019 X1.
This varies between markets. Be aware this is a global forum and generalisations are often incorrect.

However, the bigger point is the utterly confusing and customer-hostile approach BMW have taken to implementing CarPlay. There is no clear statement of guidance from the company, per model, on what the correct specification is, and whether what is ordered actually meets that specification. Not even dealer staff know, and that includes the co-called "BMW Genius"! And then — unlike other manufacturers — BMW charges a subscription. That is a plain, simple customer gouge!

BMW's approach to CarPlay is quite outrageous, and needs to be called out. Especially compared with the approach of other, even budget, car makers.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #20
o_m_r
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xDrive28i (SULEV Br)

Some are asking or thinking CarPlay is strictly a software upgrade. That might be true if BMW has coding to enable CarPlay using only an USB connection, which is one of two ways CarPlay can be used. But it looks like the way BMW implements CarPlay requires the head unit to be able connect wirelessly, and so in that case your car needs to have a wifi antenna. CarPlay can be used via USB, or wirelessly over wifi, but not exclusively bluetooth. Bluetooth might be used in the process of setting up your phone and car to use CarPlay wirelessly, but using the service requires a wifi connection. Whichever configuration of navigation system you have installed, it appears the only way it could be compatible is if it includes a wifi antenna, or the head unit is capable of having a wifi antenna somehow retrofitted.

More info:

https://www.bmw.com/content/dam/bmw/...3826507496.pdf

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-JcU6it...e-carplay.html

There's also suggestion that the head unit, in addition to the wifi antenna, but otherwise regardless, requires a certain tier of computer installed (ID5 or ID6 or newer/higher)... suggesting BMW does not have any coding that would allow CarPlay on an older/lower tier head unit/computer:
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...trofit-carplay

Last edited by o_m_r; 02-10-2019 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #21
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

E-F
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_m_r View Post
Some are asking or thinking CarPlay is strictly a software upgrade. That might be true if BMW has coding to enable CarPlay using only an USB connection, which is one of two ways CarPlay can be used. But it looks like the way BMW implements CarPlay requires the head unit to be able connect wirelessly, and so in that case your car needs to have a wifi antenna. CarPlay can be used via USB, or wirelessly over wifi, but not exclusively bluetooth. Bluetooth might be used in the process of setting up your phone and car to use CarPlay wirelessly, but using the service requires a wifi connection. Whichever configuration of navigation system you have installed, it appears the only way it could be compatible is if it includes a wifi antenna, or the head unit is capable of having a wifi antenna somehow retrofitted

There's also suggestion that the head unit, in addition to the wifi antenna, but otherwise regardless, requires a certain tier of computer installed (ID5 or ID6 or newer/higher)... suggesting BMW does not have any coding that would allow CarPlay on an older/lower tier head unit/computer:
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...trofit-carplay
Extremely useful outline of key issues for NBTevo head units and CarPlay, unfortunately not sure if all of it it is applicable to the F48.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there. This is perhaps not helped by the fact that some people (like me) are using Carly or Bimmercode coding tools which are displaying HU_NBT for the head unit/ecu in the F48 when what it is apparently reading is HU_ENTRYNAV.

All* F48’ regardless whether ordered with Nav or Nav plus have an ENTRYNAV/ENTRYNAV2 headunit so FSC coding CarPlay which can be done on NBTevo head units will not work.

For the “ cheaper” ENTRYNAV system, which is a business based system, found in the X1(F48) & X2, the bottom line is FSC codes cannot be generated to activate Carplay nor can anyone outside BMW mess with the OTA (Over The Air provisioning) to make it work. This confusion is exacerbated by the fact that the F48 HU have same HU and software for nav and Nav plus , unlike BMW professional nav in more expensive models.

The technical specs imply that all F48 HU can support CarPlay subject to antenna being installed however If the extra software (6CP option) for CarPlay was not built-in to your F48 at the factory then it cannot be activated. Fitting a WiFI antenna will not sort the problem. BMW are moving to a subscription based service for CarPlay anyway. To complicate further “it appears” BMW will provide CarPlay through OTA for some F48 but no one appears to fully understand their criteria and various reasons are given by different agents. In brief, your F48 factory build must have Nav plus (S6UPA) due to larger CID, It must have connected drive services S6AKA, it must also have at least one of a few other available options (believe 6NH, 6NW, 6WD) which essentially included a WiFi/WLAN antenna.

Here it may be the case that if the hardware (WiFi antenna, extended Bluetooth, etc) was not in the factory build then the BMW OTA system will not allow CarPlay. It is also possible that an X1 built up to around mid 2017 (when CarPlay was not a subscription service) had different software configuration to later build. With a subscription based service one assumes BMW moved/are moving to an X1 build which is “CarPlay OTA ready” and it is possible some cars missed out during transition period. You can order a 2019 F48 with a “Carplay ready” option, which gives a 3 year subscription.

For the X1 & X2 , BMW have been clever in calling some functions and features the same or similar names to more expensive models (like the Xdrive which is not the same system as found in X3, X5 etc). Active Cruise Control is another example, using radar (or two KAFAS) in expensive models but relying on the single KAFAS camera alone in the X1. In the F48 the idrive software may look like new NBT evo (ID5/id6) found on other models but apparently it is not. It is ENTRYNAV - and the name tells the story.

*- Russia, Taiwan,China & Japan Have S609a (tall) professional headunit, so non ENTRYNAV . Not sure if option or std.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-22-2019 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #22
power9111
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F39 2018

Quote:
E-F
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_m_r View Post
Some are asking or thinking CarPlay is strictly a software upgrade. That might be true if BMW has coding to enable CarPlay using only an USB connection, which is one of two ways CarPlay can be used. But it looks like the way BMW implements CarPlay requires the head unit to be able connect wirelessly, and so in that case your car needs to have a wifi antenna. CarPlay can be used via USB, or wirelessly over wifi, but not exclusively bluetooth. Bluetooth might be used in the process of setting up your phone and car to use CarPlay wirelessly, but using the service requires a wifi connection. Whichever configuration of navigation system you have installed, it appears the only way it could be compatible is if it includes a wifi antenna, or the head unit is capable of having a wifi antenna somehow retrofitted

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/49-how-to-retrofit-carplay
Extremely useful outline of key issues for NBTevo head units and CarPlay, unfortunately not sure if all of it it is applicable to the F48.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there. This is perhaps not helped by the fact that some people (like me) are using Carly or Bimmercode coding tools which are displaying HU_NBT for the head unit/ecu in the F48 when what it is apparently reading is HU_ENTRYNAV.

All* F48' regardless whether ordered with Nav or Nav plus have an ENTRYNAV/ENTRYNAV2 headunit so FSC coding CarPlay which can be done on NBTevo head units will not work.

For the " cheaper" ENTRYNAV system, which is a business based system, found in the X1(F48) & X2, the bottom line is FSC codes cannot be generated to activate Carplay nor can anyone outside BMW mess with the OTA (Over The Air provisioning) to make it work. This confusion is exacerbated by the fact that the F48 HU have same HU and software for nav and Nav plus , unlike BMW professional nav in more expensive models.

The technical specs imply that all F48 HU can support CarPlay subject to antenna being installed however If the extra software (6CP option) for CarPlay was not built-in to your F48 at the factory then it cannot be activated. Fitting a WiFI antenna will not sort the problem. BMW are moving to a subscription based service for CarPlay anyway. To complicate further "it appears" BMW will provide CarPlay through OTA for some F48 but no one appears to fully understand their criteria and various reasons are given by different agents. In brief, your F48 factory build must have Nav plus (S6UPA) due to larger CID, It must have connected drive services S6AKA, it must also have at least one of a few other available options (believe 6NH, 6NW, 6WD) which essentially included a WiFi/WLAN antenna.

Here it may be the case that if the hardware (WiFi antenna, extended Bluetooth, etc) was not in the factory build then the BMW OTA system will not allow CarPlay. It is also possible that an X1 built up to around mid 2017 (when CarPlay was not a subscription service) had different software configuration to later build. With a subscription based service one assumes BMW moved/are moving to an X1 build which is "CarPlay OTA ready" and it is possible some cars missed out during transition period. You can order a 2019 F48 with a "Carplay ready" option, which gives a 3 year subscription.

For the X1 & X2 , BMW have been clever in calling some functions and features the same or similar names to more expensive models (like the Xdrive which is not the same system as found in X3, X5 etc). Active Cruise Control is another example, using radar (or two KAFAS) in expensive models but relying on the single KAFAS camera alone in the X1. In the F48 the idrive software may look like new NBT evo (ID5/id6) found on other models but apparently it is not. It is ENTRYNAV - and the name tells the story.

*- Russia, Taiwan,China & Japan Have S609a (tall) professional headunit, so non ENTRYNAV . Not sure if option or std.
So if I have 6UP, 6NW and 6WD in my BMW X2 F39 2018, it will be possible to activate Apple CarPlay? Please let me know!
Appreciate 0