Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
What do you mean by "wired?"

PoE, coax, .. ??
Just in general Vs wireless.. I don’t know which is better.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #288
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92 M Sport View Post
Wired ftw. I have the ring 2 wireless doorbell in addition to the 4 POE camera system I made in part from nellyssecurity.com, and older Dahua cams. The Ring wireless doesn’t record 24/7 and needs recharging of batteries. POE while more of a pita to get it setup, is worth it in the long run I believe.
Thanks. Was thinking POE or just wired in general but don’t really wanna drill holes or run a bunch of wires. Home is 2 story so might be more pain to do wired vs wireless.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #289
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
What do you mean by "wired?"

PoE, coax, .. ??
Ahh, I thought you mentioned you already had a wired infrastructure...just wasnt sure what kind.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #290
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92 M Sport View Post
Wired ftw. I have the ring 2 wireless doorbell in addition to the 4 POE camera system I made in part from nellyssecurity.com, and older Dahua cams. The Ring wireless doesn’t record 24/7 and needs recharging of batteries. POE while more of a pita to get it setup, is worth it in the long run I believe.
How would you have a wireless doorbell from Ring that needs to recharge the batteries? I helped install a Ring doorbell camera. The camera gets primary power from the doorbell wiring at about 20V. The backup battery for the Ring doorbell camera is installed at the doorbell and charges off the same doorbell power feed.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #291
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Was thinking POE or just wired in general but don’t really wanna drill holes or run a bunch of wires. Home is 2 story so might be more pain to do wired vs wireless.
Unless you get battery operated wireless cams, you still have to get power to a wireless camera that does not operate on batteries. If you do run battery operated cameras, you have to remember to replace/recharge the batteries. I think I did see some wireless cameras which have solar panels that are used to recharge the batteries.

But I feel going the route of wireless/battery operated cameras is just a compromise all the way around. I'm not sure how your house is set up, but there are probably ways to run Category cabling without much construction work on your house. If you have siding, you can run the cabling underneath the siding to the desired locations. If your house has a garage with an attic space above, you could run cabling up into the attic space above the garage and then distribute them along the soffit vents to where you need he cameras. I did this for the camera I have monitoring the front door. Ran the cabling along the soffit vent along the garage and mounted the camera directly on the soffit vent.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #292
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
How worried are you about security? Not only is wired more stable it is also more secure.

We had a couple neighbors here have their cars broken into about 15 minutes apart, coincidentally both their ring doorbells were down. That could be mean ring was having trouble with their servers, their cameras both happen to lose signals around that time because of spotty wifi, or the criminals are getting smarter and are starting to jam people's wifi.

Whatever the reason was, a wired IP camera wouldn't have had any of those issues.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      04-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #293
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Quote:
How worried are you about security? Not only is wired more stable it is also more secure.

We had a couple neighbors here have their cars broken into about 15 minutes apart, coincidentally both their ring doorbells were down. That could be mean ring was having trouble with their servers, their cameras both happen to lose signals around that time because of spotty wifi, or the criminals are getting smarter and are starting to jam people's wifi.

Whatever the reason was, a wired IP camera wouldn't have had any of those issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Thanks. Was thinking POE or just wired in general but don't really wanna drill holes or run a bunch of wires. Home is 2 story so might be more pain to do wired vs wireless.
Unless you get battery operated wireless cams, you still have to get power to a wireless camera that does not operate on batteries. If you do run battery operated cameras, you have to remember to replace/recharge the batteries. I think I did see some wireless cameras which have solar panels that are used to recharge the batteries.

But I feel going the route of wireless/battery operated cameras is just a compromise all the way around. I'm not sure how your house is set up, but there are probably ways to run Category cabling without much construction work on your house. If you have siding, you can run the cabling underneath the siding to the desired locations. If your house has a garage with an attic space above, you could run cabling up into the attic space above the garage and then distribute them along the soffit vents to where you need he cameras. I did this for the camera I have monitoring the front door. Ran the cabling along the soffit vent along the garage and mounted the camera directly on the soffit vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Quote:
Just in general Vs wireless.. I don't know which is better.

Yeah thinking wired is probably best too. Hate having to do with cloud storage, subscriptions and such. I do like some of the spotlight security cameras that companies like Ring offers though. Of course wireless is just easier. I'm not too worried about security but you never know if/when things can get worse. Wireless allows me to check on things when I'm away.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:03 PM   #294
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Arlo Pro 2s have a solar option, but it really isn’t a big deal to charge them. You get email alerts when batteries are getting low and I only have needed to charge them every few months since they only record when sound/motion trigger them. The older ones took lithium batteries like the ones for cameras, but moved those to low traffic areas so they last pretty long (12mo or so). You can also check battery levels in the app to see which ones need to be pulled for charging or battery replacement.

Cloud storage of a rolling 7 days is free for up to 5 cameras on an account and you can do archived recording to usb flash storage via the base. They have two way audio so no need for a ring or nest doorbell.

I’m sure overall wired is better for quality/features and reliability overall, but the Arlo system is stupid simple to install, not that expensive, and the app/remote access is convenient. I also like that you can move them wherever you want very easily. I’ve mounted some in unexpected places like trees where they’re not very noticeable. And it’s not Google/Amazon which is also a plus for me.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      04-18-2020, 11:15 PM   #295
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
How would you have a wireless doorbell from Ring that needs to recharge the batteries? I helped install a Ring doorbell camera. The camera gets primary power from the doorbell wiring at about 20V. The backup battery for the Ring doorbell camera is installed at the doorbell and charges off the same doorbell power feed.
I have the Ring which is not hardwired and runs off a rechargeable battery. Have two batteries so one is always charged and simply swap it out when needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:17 PM   #296
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I use some Blink XT2 cameras and my Ring doorbell. For me they have worked well. It has been a year since I put up the cameras and I have not had to replace the batteries yet, however most of them rarely get triggered. I just like how easy they are to setup and I can pretty much stick one anywhere. They also include cloud storage for free. All that being said it's pretty quite here and I've never needed them for anything serious.

You said you already have a wired system so it seems the best bet would be to just upgrade the cameras and what not to a more modern system with higher resolution since you already have the wires ran.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:57 PM   #297
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
I have the Ring which is not hardwired and runs off a rechargeable battery. Have two batteries so one is always charged and simply swap it out when needed.
I just don't understand the use case behind a totally unwired door bell camera. I would think the vast majority of homes would have wired door bell.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:00 AM   #298
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just don't understand the use case behind a totally unwired door bell camera. I would think the vast majority of homes would have wired door bell.
You can wire the ring, we have ours hardwired where the old doorbell was. However I originally ordered it while traveling in our RV. Having it be wireless worked perfectly for the RV and I may just get another for the RV so I don't have to disconnect the one at home if/when we can ever hit the road again.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:01 AM   #299
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Agreed and we have one but we have shutters on either side of the front door. They have louvers so you can see the door bell but a useless location for the Ring, hence the battery operated Ring. It functions just fine and I swap batteries every couple months.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      04-19-2020, 12:02 AM   #300
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I use some Blink XT2 cameras and my Ring doorbell. For me they have worked well. It has been a year since I put up the cameras and I have not had to replace the batteries yet, however most of them rarely get triggered. I just like how easy they are to setup and I can pretty much stick one anywhere. They also include cloud storage for free. All that being said it's pretty quite here and I've never needed them for anything serious.

You said you already have a wired system so it seems the best bet would be to just upgrade the cameras and what not to a more modern system with higher resolution since you already have the wires ran.
Right now it’s wired and system is in garage. If I want to bring it inside to living room or upstairs I have to run wires again. That’s the main reason I’m looking at wireless. If I go with wireless I’ll get Eufy. Reviews seem to be better than Arlo Pro 2 and they’re cheaper too. No cloud recording and everything is on SD card.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:04 AM   #301
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You can wire the ring, we have ours hardwired where the old doorbell was. However I originally ordered it while traveling in our RV. Having it be wireless worked perfectly for the RV and I may just get another for the RV so I don't have to disconnect the one at home if/when we can ever hit the road again.
Yep. I helped a girl I was dating install her Ring door bell camera. So I'm very familiar with the setup process.

Your use case makes sense. But I was thinking of someone installing this on their home which I assume to be some sort of structure. I actually thought of another use case for a totally wireless setup as I was typing this reply. I guess if you're living in an apartment or condo would require you to go full wireless.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:06 AM   #302
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Right now it’s wired and system is in garage. If I want to bring it inside to living room or upstairs I have to run wires again. That’s the main reason I’m looking at wireless. If I go with wireless I’ll get Eufy. Reviews seem to be better than Arlo Pro 2 and they’re cheaper too. No cloud recording and everything is on SD card.
When you say bring the system inside, are you saying you want to put cameras up inside your home in various rooms?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:15 AM   #303
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you say bring the system inside, are you saying you want to put cameras up inside your home in various rooms?
No, I meant bring the base and monitor into the living room or upstairs. That means drilling holes to run wires further into the house vs the garage right now. I have wireless interior cameras.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:28 AM   #304
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I meant bring the base and monitor into the living room or upstairs. That means drilling holes to run wires further into the house vs the garage right now. I have wireless interior cameras.
Why would you want to move that from the garage? I don't know much about wired systems, but I would imagine they let you monitor from your phone or computer just like the wireless one so doesn't seem there would be much need to access the stuff in the garage that often no?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #305
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why would you want to move that from the garage? I don't know much about wired systems, but I would imagine they let you monitor from your phone or computer just like the wireless one so doesn't seem there would be much need to access the stuff in the garage that often no?
This setup is 8 years old so don’t know if I can even hook up to router and check online. The new system, whatever it will be, will need to be able to connect wirelessly to router.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:37 AM   #306
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Sadly ours doesn’t - doorbell isn’t wired for power and the button was just battery powered. Even worse, when we bought the house and moved in, I discovered they’d taken the base/chime down when they’d painted it getting it ready for sale and never put it back. Had to go get one and a new button - simple to do with the night light/chime plug in base and battery powered button.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #307
E92 M Sport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

Quote:
Yes, mine did. But years ago during renovation I ripped the old frail wires out and just went with a wireless door chime. It was a pos and would ring when my neighbors had a visitor. In retrospect I should have run a new wire but hindsight is always 20/20.
      04-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #308
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Reolink POE been using it for 2 year No issues
just lat year we had record low temperatures in Iowa I had no issues.