BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Have you ever paid more for a used car because it had PPF (paint protection film)?

02-12-2023, 11:31 PM   #23
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Almost everything is a scam these days. Ceramic and PPF really aren't all that, they're just heavily pushed on social media and they use a ton of the same buzzwords. Don't get me wrong, I've considered getting the front of my hood and possibly my bumper PPF'd, but they charge more than a full paint job oftentimes to do the whole car and you're left with a surface that will still age and have to be removed and/or replaced at sometime. Same thing with ceramic which is more overhyped than PPF IMO.

No, I wouldn't pay more for one with PPF but sure PPF in good shape beats rock chips. Factory paint is honestly usually really robust and doesn't seem to get many chips in a normal non-abused life unless it lives in the salt belt.
PPF is great. Ceramic coatings are largely a scam.

Repainting is a bitch and you may never match the paint exactly, plus repainted panels usually lower the value. PPF is also easier to wash. I don't need to worry about micro-marring or swirls with PPF since new PPF self heals minor defects.

Ceramic coating adds zero value. It is at best a long lasting wax. Period. I recommend you do ceramic coating but DIY not pro for 4 figures unless an afternoon of your time is worth more than that.
Appreciate 2
whyzee1251678.50
P111572.00
      02-13-2023, 06:59 AM   #24
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

I see value in PPF and ceramic coating, and spend a fair amount of my time (and a not insignificant amount of money) buying detailing tools and products. I've always valued having a clean car, going back to when I first started driving over 25yrs ago. I've also bought and sold many cars over that time period, and tend to pride myself on the fact that if I buy a used car, I resell it in better condition than when I bought it. I would love to buy a car from a guy like me, if that makes sense.

I started this thread because over the past 7-8 years, I've really seen the pro detailing marketing machine explode. You've got people who had never even heard of the "two-bucket method" now extolling the virtues of PPF and ceramic and why they need to spend $5K getting their Tesla Model 3 done and why anyone who doesn't is crazy. And again, the marketing has people convinced that they're going to get a big return on their vehicles when they go to sell because they've spent all that money upfront protecting their paint. My theory is that they're not going to get any more money than the guys that have always treated their cars with care have gotten, because the used market is largely about how the car looks, how it drives and how much mileage is on it.

I don't think PPF is a "scam," I just think it is the benefit of some clever marketing spin. If you want to spend $5K (or more) getting your entire car wrapped, you're doing that more for YOU than for the resale value. But again, I wasn't sure if maybe I was just in my own world with this, and if others were readily paying thousands more for used cars with PPF installed, or if they were seeing maximum resale values when they went to sell or trade their cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:56 AM   #25
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I have an Aqua Blue 997 and as someone stated about the M2, man with wide rears and wide hips ya simply must have the hips PPF'd. I have 295's at the rear remember.

My hood is an absolute rock chip fest so eventually will have it repainted and PPF just the front end.
Appreciate 0