BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

01-20-2024, 09:01 PM   #8075
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
This is my feeling. If you didn’t feel right, follow that feeling. It could’ve been something or it could’ve been nothing, but I’m a big proponent of following your gut feeling(s).

Beverly Hills has seen an increase in crime thanks to the policies of L.A. County and the state of California in general. The insulated aren’t as protected anymore.
Absolutely.
I’m just being paranoid now thinking of if he can do anything with the photo of him with my car on his phone. I read somewhere about people using those photos to say that it was their car and they were robbed at gunpoint and then try and scam people out of their bank accounts when they call and try to help. Not sure this person could do anything to target me with just a photo of them with my car
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      01-20-2024, 09:05 PM   #8076
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Absolutely.
I’m just being paranoid now thinking of if he can do anything with the photo of him with my car on his phone. I read somewhere about people using those photos to say that it was their car and they were robbed at gunpoint and then try and scam people out of their bank accounts when they call and try to help. Not sure this person could do anything to target me with just a photo of them with my car
There seems to be an endless list of scams out there; most so silly that I don’t know how people fall for them, but it happens.
Appreciate 2
SaMaster144439.00
M2siast5876.00
      01-21-2024, 08:48 AM   #8077
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Absolutely.
I’m just being paranoid now thinking of if he can do anything with the photo of him with my car on his phone.
While you are/were focusing on the photo aspect, remember that the key fob in your pocket started negotiating with your car if you have keyless convenience unlock. An accomplice nearby (or even the photo-taker himself) could have had a sniffer that recorded this handshake for replay in the future.....
SaMaster144439.00
      01-21-2024, 03:45 PM   #8078
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
While you are/were focusing on the photo aspect, remember that the key fob in your pocket started negotiating with your car if you have keyless convenience unlock. An accomplice nearby (or even the photo-taker himself) could have had a sniffer that recorded this handshake for replay in the future.....
That's also what I was thinking, especially when he asked if I could come a bit closer...
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615272.50
      01-21-2024, 06:13 PM   #8079
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Any let’s just hope that me not getting any closer thwarted any attempt at that, if it was his true intention (again, just seemed like a sketchy dude…) better to be weary than gullible when it comes to these things even if you come off a bit standoffish
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615272.50
      01-22-2024, 05:59 PM   #8080
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Any let’s just hope that me not getting any closer thwarted any attempt at that, if it was his true intention (again, just seemed like a sketchy dude…) better to be weary than gullible when it comes to these things even if you come off a bit standoffish
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
SaMaster144439.00
      01-22-2024, 06:32 PM   #8081
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
Totally agree!

Let's just hope if that was his intention it failed, as, at least, after I gave the dude his phone back I did leave the car parked a good 20 minutes, although I didn't stray far and actually was always in a place where i could keep an eye on the car, and nobody tried to open the door or take off with it... would assume that would be this guys only chance...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 08:13 AM   #8082
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Something probably was up, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. You should be fine.

Taking things a step further, your story got me thinking about the "risks" of accepting to take a photo for a stranger. Perp 1 hands you a stolen phone to snap photos; perp 2 walks by and 'accidently' bumps into you, phone drops and gets damaged. Now Perp 1 is bugging you for some cash... it's pretty easy to go down the path of don't trust anybody
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144439.00
      01-23-2024, 08:24 AM   #8083
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Interested to hear LEO's perspective about dispatch on this story.

Many years ago, we got a stranger who rang the doorbell at ~8pm (after dark) on a weeknight. This was unusual, and we didn't know the guy. We talked to him through the door and I don't recall exactly what we said, but do recall it was fairly non-sensical. We asked the guy to leave, he stuck around for 15+ minutes and we called the police. Got OCSD out and they talked to the guy, who was claiming he just bought the house and it's his. The police spoke with us, my wife produced a bill with her name on the address and that solved it. The police asked him to leave. He left for 30 seconds and came back. Police were PISSED and told us we could trespass him, which we did, and they took him to jail after he failed to leave once they trespassed him.

Dude shows up 2-3 nights later. Same MO. Once we recognized him through the peephole, we didn't even speak with him, just called 911. I explained the above paragraph to dispatch and asked she send OCSD right away. She started arguing with me. "Have you asked him why he's there? Have you asked him what he wants? etc." I started getting pretty snarky in my responses at which point my wife grabbed the phone and played the "i'm a terrified woman card" and ultimately the police came. I don't recall exactly, but this time I think he left without being arrested. He never came again, so that was the end of it.

My question is .... I know dispatch fields a ton of dumb calls, but what's your take on this? Was it right of her to challenge my request for police support? The whole time she kept suggesting I open the door and talk to this gentleman. I can see that ending in 3 ways - home invasion etc., I kill him, or (perhaps most likely) I slam the door back in his face. I just couldn't believe she thought it was a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 08:31 AM   #8084
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post

Many years ago, we got a stranger who rang the doorbell at ~8pm (after dark) on a weeknight. This was unusual, and we didn't know the guy. We talked to him through the door and I don't recall exactly what we said, but do recall it was fairly non-sensical. We asked the guy to leave, he stuck around for 15+ minutes and we called the police. Got OCSD out and they talked to the guy, who was claiming he just bought the house and it's his. The police spoke with us, my wife produced a bill with her name on the address and that solved it. The police asked him to leave. He left for 30 seconds and came back. Police were PISSED and told us we could trespass him, which we did, and they took him to jail after he failed to leave once they trespassed him.

Dude shows up 2-3 nights later. Same MO. Once we recognized him through the peephole, we didn't even speak with him, just called 911. I explained the above paragraph to dispatch and asked she send OCSD right away. She started arguing with me. "Have you asked him why he's there? Have you asked him what he wants? etc." I started getting pretty snarky in my responses at which point my wife grabbed the phone and played the "i'm a terrified woman card" and ultimately the police came. I don't recall exactly, but this time I think he left without being arrested. He never came again, so that was the end of it.

My question is .... I know dispatch fields a ton of dumb calls, but what's your take on this? Was it right of her to challenge my request for police support? The whole time she kept suggesting I open the door and talk to this gentleman. I can see that ending in 3 ways - home invasion etc., I kill him, or (perhaps most likely) I slam the door back in his face. I just couldn't believe she thought it was a good idea.
The dispatchers response seems odd if you told them that you had trespassed the guy the night before and it resulted in an arrest. Maybe a breakdown in communications on the part of the dispatcher or they didn't understand what you were telling them. The fact you called 911 for an intruder/trespasser should've moved this right up to dispatching at least one possibly 2 scout cars.

Last edited by Murf the Surf; 01-23-2024 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25107.50
Reborn_298.00
      01-23-2024, 08:45 AM   #8085
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
right up to dispatching at least on possibly 2 scout cars.
Well, except that OCSD does have "scout" cars. They use real vehicles, eh

01-23-2024, 09:25 AM   #8086
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Well, except that OCSD does have "scout" cars. They use real vehicles, eh

Sorry, my bad. How about patrol cars or cruisers or squads?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 09:43 AM   #8087
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, my bad. How about patrol cars or cruisers or squads?
No worries, just validates our contingency plan to send a troop of girl SCOUTS to take over the north. They will be totally comfortable taking over your "cars"
      01-23-2024, 10:08 AM   #8088
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:

My question is .... I know dispatch fields a ton of dumb calls, but what's your take on this? Was it right of her to challenge my request for police support? [...]
Reading this kind of nonsense makes me appreciate Florida cops so much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Reborn_298.00
      01-23-2024, 10:29 AM   #8089
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
The dispatchers response seems odd if you told them that you had trespassed the guy the night before and it resulted in an arrest. Maybe a breakdown in communications on the part of the dispatcher or they didn't understand what you were telling them. The fact you called 911 for an intruder/trespasser should've moved this right up to dispatching at least on possibly 2 scout cars.
I agree! I work a lot of my overtime as a call taker, dispatcher or Watch Deputy. If somebody called and explained that story - and we had already been to your residence 2-3 days before - we/I would have a couple of cars roll to your residence without question.
Appreciate 3
Reborn_298.00
      01-23-2024, 10:38 AM   #8090
STATIC A$TRO
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Over on E46Fanatics, we would regularly have these "Ask a....." threads pop up in our Off Topic section from time to time, so I thought I would start one here to see how the member base takes to it. So ask me anything related to the profession (...Why certain things are done? Do we really eat donuts every day? Etc... ).
i have a fire arm but am really excited about showing it to you so i pull it out really quick, how should i go about that.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 11:32 AM   #8091
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATIC A$TRO View Post
i have a fire arm but am really excited about showing it to you so i pull it out really quick, how should i go about that.
That almost sounds like a euphemism. lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 06:27 PM   #8092
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Something probably was up, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. You should be fine.

Taking things a step further, your story got me thinking about the "risks" of accepting to take a photo for a stranger. Perp 1 hands you a stolen phone to snap photos; perp 2 walks by and 'accidently' bumps into you, phone drops and gets damaged. Now Perp 1 is bugging you for some cash... it's pretty easy to go down the path of don't trust anybody
It really is these days (especially in Los Angeles/Beverly Hills, honestly) 😔
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25107.50
Reborn_298.00
      01-24-2024, 08:37 AM   #8093
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The dispatchers response seems odd if you told them that you had trespassed the guy the night before and it resulted in an arrest. Maybe a breakdown in communications on the part of the dispatcher or they didn't understand what you were telling them. The fact you called 911 for an intruder/trespasser should've moved this right up to dispatching at least one possibly 2 scout cars.
Quote:
I agree! I work a lot of my overtime as a call taker, dispatcher or Watch Deputy. If somebody called and explained that story - and we had already been to your residence 2-3 days before - we/I would have a couple of cars roll to your residence without question.
Thanks guys. Obviously I agree, but just wanted the unbiased opinion. To be fair, I probably wasn't as crystal clear as I'm being here, but it wasn't too bad, and when my wife took over, I thought "damn, that is as clear as day" lol. I guess the dispatcher just got stuck on the "man at door - send cops!" vibe and didn't pay enough attention or believe the relevant details from the prior encounter.

Quote:
It really is these days (especially in Los Angeles/Beverly Hills, honestly) 😔
OC is getting bad too - panhandlers and con artists approach me frequently as I'm walking to/from stores, and there's lots of theft. Still not as bad as LA of course, but I think we're bridging the gap!
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25107.50
SaMaster144439.00
      01-29-2024, 10:28 AM   #8094
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Since you can't cite for not displaying current tags in Cali (W T F????) can you still pull someone over for that and then proceed to find drugs?
      01-29-2024, 11:09 AM   #8095
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Since you can't cite for not displaying current tags in Cali (W T F????) can you still pull someone over for that and then proceed to find drugs?
We can still cite for it after it’s going into the second month of delinquency. It can no longer be the primary cause for a traffic stop during the first month of delinquency, but if the reason for the stop is some other traffic violation, you can be cited for it. If drugs are in plain view or we smell marijuana, it’s fair game to proceed with a drug possession investigation.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615272.50
      01-29-2024, 12:13 PM   #8096
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We can still cite for it after it’s going into the second month of delinquency. It can no longer be the primary cause for a traffic stop during the first month of delinquency, but if the reason for the stop is some other traffic violation, you can be cited for it. If drugs are in plain view or we smell marijuana, it’s fair game to proceed with a drug possession investigation.
Local CHP is telling me they can't cite for tags if they call it in and the registration is paid, even for some that are year + out.