BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Best winter tires for my car? (NOT RFT)

11-10-2023, 03:17 PM   #45
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post

For anyone who doesn't believe the Michelin's are equals to the Nokian or Bridgestones. The performance of all the top tires are extremely close.
Huh? The Nokians were better in every category except hydroplaning, and who gives a fuck about hydroplaning with a winter tire? Nokians are a much better winter tire than any Michelin. And this is coming from someone who runs X-ices on two of my 4 cars. Michelin used to lead many tire segments but the competition has largely caught up and surpassed them, get over it. Nokian makes a better winter tire and Pirelli makes a better track tire than them now.
Appreciate 1
nalnass118.50
      11-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #46
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Huh? The Nokians were better in every category except hydroplaning, and who gives a fuck about hydroplaning with a winter tire? Nokians are a much better winter tire than any Michelin. And this is coming from someone who runs X-ices on two of my 4 cars. Michelin used to lead many tire segments but the competition has largely caught up and surpassed them, get over it. Nokian makes a better winter tire and Pirelli makes a better track tire than them now.
Did you fail statistics? They are all basically the same and within the margin of error. Most of the results are so close you couldn't repeat the test and get the same outcome.
Appreciate 1
RM72892.50
      11-10-2023, 03:38 PM   #47
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Did you fail statistics? They are all basically the same and within the margin of error. Most of the results are so close you couldn't repeat the test and get the same outcome.
Yep, I remember going through the choices before deciding on my actual winter tires. There was one or two that fell way below the marks, but the "pack" of tires that were good were all very very close together. It's idiotic to insist that one brand is hands-down better when it's "in the noise".

I'm on Toyo Observe Ice G3...because, Ice.
      11-10-2023, 03:46 PM   #48
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Yep, I remember going through the choices before deciding on my actual winter tires. There was one or two that fell way below the marks, but the "pack" of tires that were good were all very very close together. It's idiotic to insist that one brand is hands-down better when it's "in the noise".

I'm on Toyo Observe Ice G3...because, Ice.
Yep, much better than the other winning tire .

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 05:46 PM   #49
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, much better than the other winning tire .

Well that definitely settles it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 05:47 PM   #50
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea I'm brutal at stats. Probably why I'm a manager at 7-11.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      11-11-2023, 11:26 AM   #51
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

X-Ice user.... perfectly fine with them for my X1 and will continue to use them. I always thought they were more for SUV and trucks, though.

I used to run Alpins on my E46 and loved them. Can't go wrong with Blizzaks or Hakkas either.
      11-11-2023, 12:08 PM   #52
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Silly question, but how do you guys switch entire sets, literally wait till all 4 are almost worn out (fairytale ending lol) or just 2 and sell the other 2 w some tread left?

I'm not gonna mix brands esp since I'm going from RFTs to reg tires.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 12:23 PM   #53
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

The lower the treads are on your current winters, the less useful they become in snow if that isn't obvious enough. I'd let em go to the wear bars though. I'm assuming you are using staggered sizing so rotating isn't really an option? They'll probably wear nearly 2 to 1.

I switched to square (same) sizing for my winters so I can rotate.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2023, 12:46 PM   #54
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
The lower the treads are on your current winters, the less useful they become in snow if that isn't obvious enough. I'd let em go to the wear bars though. I'm assuming you are using staggered sizing so rotating isn't really an option? They'll probably wear nearly 2 to 1.

I switched to square (same) sizing for my winters so I can rotate.
It's a 17" 225 square set. I guess I'll try to rotate to get them all wearing about the same as much as possible.

I also asked in another thread, but seems like there is no consistent answer re tire pressures: for my summers it's a staggered 18" set--->225 front @psi 36 and 255 rear @psi 42. Some ppl still say use that for my square winter set, but I was thinking since it's square, shouldn't it be @psi 36 for all?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 03:12 PM   #55
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Silly question, but how do you guys switch entire sets, literally wait till all 4 are almost worn out (fairytale ending lol) or just 2 and sell the other 2 w some tread left?

I'm not gonna mix brands esp since I'm going from RFTs to reg tires.
I have RWD and I just change 2 sets at a time. I replace around 5/32 tread. My winter set up is also square.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 03:59 PM   #56
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
... but I was thinking since it's square, shouldn't it be @psi 36 for all?
Non, check the sticker inside the door jam.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2023, 04:31 PM   #57
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
It's a 17" 225 square set. I guess I'll try to rotate to get them all wearing about the same as much as possible.

I also asked in another thread, but seems like there is no consistent answer re tire pressures: for my summers it's a staggered 18" set--->225 front @psi 36 and 255 rear @psi 42. Some ppl still say use that for my square winter set, but I was thinking since it's square, shouldn't it be @psi 36 for all?

For the PSI, I'm not smart enough to analyze and how less or more pressure changes the way my car drives

In your owner's manual you should have additional tire sizes and PSI listings and I'll just go with the closest one. In my case my winter tires, 225/45/17, are bang on a size listing in it, which is 32 PSI.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 07:12 PM   #58
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Non, check the sticker inside the door jam.
Ok, I'm not that r'd lol ofc it only stated for the summers there and there's nothing in the manual either.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 07:18 PM   #59
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Piper1 Tx, that's it I think, I guess BMW doesn't expect anyone's crazy enough to drive my car during winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
For the PSI, I'm not smart enough to analyze and how less or more pressure changes the way my car drives

In your owner's manual you should have additional tire sizes and PSI listings and I'll just go with the closest one. In my case my winter tires, 225/45/17, are bang on a size listing in it, which is 32 PSI.
Me neither esp when trying to get a feel in winter w the snow layer haha. I've always been using psi 36 for all four and dunno if I need to change it up, it seems ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 08:20 PM   #60
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

All my tyres age out before they wear out, I do less than 5K Km a yr between the Saab and the 911.

kijiji is your friend, i have never bought new winters, people screw up all the time and buy winters then sell the car. I do know what to look fo in a used set though, if you don't then go new but in that size you're gonna be out $1500 or so with price, tax, eco fee, disposal, install and balancing.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 09:08 PM   #61
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
All my tyres age out before they wear out, I do less than 5K Km a yr between the Saab and the 911.

kijiji is your friend, i have never bought new winters, people screw up all the time and buy winters then sell the car. I do know what to look fo in a used set though, if you don't then go new but in that size you're gonna be out $1500 or so with price, tax, eco fee, disposal, install and balancing.
Tx but I'm not gonna mess around w old tires, I wanna save a buck too but who knows what happened to them. Jmho.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 03:14 PM   #62
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Tx but I'm not gonna mess around w old tires, I wanna save a buck too but who knows what happened to them. Jmho.
Never heard of kijiji before but you can get good deals on Craigslist and the like. It's not without some risk but there are good sellers and deals out there. You can tell the general compound condition, past patch/plug, and tread via inspection. The thing you can't quite tell is if a bare tire might end up with a sidewall bulge until after it is mounted and inflated.

That said I'm lucky to have the means for new tires so that's the route I go now. When I was younger, used off a local forum (ETK!) was the way I went for winter wheels and tires.

As others have said, go staggered and just rotate the wheels/tires each season but, like with summers, pay attention to any directionality.

I just go with the OE recommended tire pressures (35F/41R) for my snows.
      11-13-2023, 09:40 AM   #63
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Kijiji is CDN Craigslist.

I do very few miles, tyres age out before they wear out so used is a viable option. I know what I am doing and never had an issue. The set of X-Ice on my Saab were $450, one year old DOT, like new, and a new set would have been $1,300 at the time.
Appreciate 3
lakefront560.50
bosstones1154.00
      11-13-2023, 10:20 AM   #64
Pauly Wauly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 560X

Quote:

Quote:
Kijiji is CDN Craigslist.

I do very few miles, tyres age out before they wear out so used is a viable option. I know what I am doing and never had an issue. The set of X-Ice on my Saab were $450, one year old DOT, like new, and a new set would have been $1,300 at the time.
You'd be surprised how many people buy brand new tires and don't install them before they get rid of the car, or only use them for one season. I've bought brand new tires before on Facebook marketplace that still had the stickers on them for less than half price of brand new.
Karma is real!!!....You keep doing people dirty and being a complete asshole and think God is going to bless you. It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week, but what goes around comes back around. And when that bitch comes for you it`ll be tenfold!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 12:25 PM   #65
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I most often find it is a lease situation where they returned the car and now have the winters available but they barely used them. Still, need to be lucky, right size etc, hard to find.
Appreciate 0