BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) [India] General questions about X1

01-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
pg101
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive Petrol (2021)

[India] General questions about X1

Fellow Bimmerers,

After a long thought and getting finances organised () we have booked our BMW X1 (xLine 2D, Petrol). I had some general questions and was hoping to get some answers, specially from some of my Indian friends.

Mud flaps - Are they recommended? Since this is not stock fitted and comes as an accessory in India - I was thinking if it is worth spending the extra $$. Everything in India is at least 20% costlier due to the taxes. For e.g. The car on-road with 5y BSI+ and 5y Warranty came to about 60K US.

2. Floor Mats - Any recommendation on the type? Or the one that the dealer is suggesting from their shop are the best?

3. Advanced car eye - OK - so I was very keen on having the front sensors, but since this doesn't seem to be an option (and if I have it fitted outside, it "may" void the warranty) - I was thinking about a dashcam to somewhat serve the purpose. But as it seems, the Advanced eye does not have a screen for real time showing. Any suggestions there?

Wireless charger - The dealer is giving it super expensive and while it is not a deal breaker, I may just buy one from Amazon if I absolutely need it.

Do you suggest upgrading the wheels to 18"? The stock one comes with 17".The dealer suggested that he can upgrade it for a price.

Any other suggestions?

Some details:
Car arrives end of this month - blue with beige interiors, 2021 make, petrol, xline, from Deutsche Motors in India.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks
PG
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Since nobody has answered this yet here are my thoughts, which obviously everyone has their opinion.

1) mudflaps.. they didn't even give me the option at the time, and I still don't have them. Do the fenders get dirty? Definitely... I have on and off thought about looking at the online ones through amazon/ebay and never have bought them. You can certainly use generic ones if you're up to the task of making them fit... I just got lazy and haven't done anything.

2) the All weather winter rubber mats are actually pretty good. I got them to throw it in with my purchase, but I think it's $100 or $150 option? They hold up a long time so I think they are a good investment, and they fit.

3) No car eye available for me so no input. There was active cruise control vs a heated steering wheel.. I'm in a cold climate so I got that. I have read plenty of people complain the ACC doesn't work great anyways.

4) wireless charger.. no way is it work $600 USD in my opinion.. get your own. Plus, my phone doesn't do wireless charging unless I take it out of the case, so for me it's a no in both ways. Plenty of people have bought generic ones off amazon and put it in the holder, it works fine.

5) Asthetically up to you. I have 18's and 19's (for summer).. as well as 17's for winter tires. The key is that the runflat tires completely suck and are very hard/rough. I notice no difference in 18 or 19" because they both have runflats on them. I will swap them to regular tires as soon as I wear them down. If your upgrade price to 18" wheels isn't all that different then they are fine. Although I have no idea how bad the roads are for you. With this being said.. if there is an option at all for the $300 (at the time) spare tire and kit.. I would certainly get this installed factory! It is much harder to source all the pieces and spare tire and put it in for that price.
Appreciate 1
pg1012.00
      01-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg101 View Post
Fellow Bimmerers,

After a long thought and getting finances organised () we have booked our BMW X1 (xLine 2D, Petrol). I had some general questions and was hoping to get some answers, specially from some of my Indian friends.

Mud flaps - Are they recommended? Since this is not stock fitted and comes as an accessory in India - I was thinking if it is worth spending the extra $$. Everything in India is at least 20% costlier due to the taxes. For e.g. The car on-road with 5y BSI+ and 5y Warranty came to about 60K US.

2. Floor Mats - Any recommendation on the type? Or the one that the dealer is suggesting from their shop are the best?

3. Advanced car eye - OK - so I was very keen on having the front sensors, but since this doesn't seem to be an option (and if I have it fitted outside, it "may" void the warranty) - I was thinking about a dashcam to somewhat serve the purpose. But as it seems, the Advanced eye does not have a screen for real time showing. Any suggestions there?

Wireless charger - The dealer is giving it super expensive and while it is not a deal breaker, I may just buy one from Amazon if I absolutely need it.

Do you suggest upgrading the wheels to 18"? The stock one comes with 17".The dealer suggested that he can upgrade it for a price.

Any other suggestions?

Some details:
Car arrives end of this month - blue with beige interiors, 2021 make, petrol, xline, from Deutsche Motors in India.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks
PG
Hi and welcome to the forum, my views in response to your comments;
1. Mudflaps are not std but easily bought, both genuine and aftermarket. Front flaps can protect your bodywork (side of car) rear flaps can protect someone else’s windscreen. I had front flaps fitted.
2.all weather mats are excellent, I always fit them. The genuine BMW ones are worth the extra, the lip around the edge keeps dirt in place. After 3 years, the carpet underneath the mats still looked new. People with children (prams /buggies) or who just use the boot/trunk a lot also value an all weather boot liner.
3.BMW car eye is overpriced and many report poor performance, a good dash cam is worth considering. ACC on X1 has mixed feedback, some people are happy, other report constant problems due to single KAFAS camera and no radar.
4.cannot argue, retrofitting a wireless pad is easy.
5. I was happy with 18” wheels but upgrading from 17” is not essential, if roads are bad with potholes then the higher profile tyre you can fit, the better. I found a plug type repair kit the lightest and easiest to use option.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAIKEHIGH-H...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Finally, the two retrofits I valued the most were fitting a reversing camera (android plug and play kit) and upgrading 6.5” display to 8.8” (bought used from eBay). Lots of info on this forum.

Last edited by MJE60; 01-19-2021 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:28 PM   #4
pg101
Rep

Thanks guys. I am so psyched and excited.. the dealer confirmed 29th or 30th for the date of delivery.

I will be going for the mudflaps and the mats.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 01:20 AM   #5
pg101
Rep

The buggers delayed my car by a couple of days, but I got them to throw in floor mats for free... 2 days dont hurt me but i made sure they understood how painful the delay is...

hopefully 31st now!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:49 PM   #6
tdrkarthikkumar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

1. Mud flaps are must if you clean the car yourself saves lot of effort.
2. Lot of options available in Amazon or get all weather mats for bmw dealer.
3. Not sure how a camera can replace front sensor, But for emergency recording i'm using 70mai pro - works fine.
4. Yes, i bought from amazon.
5. 17 inch works well for indian roads w.r.t suspension .It's based on customer feedback bmw downsized stock size to 17 for comfort. Many bad experiences with 18 or 19 inch ones w.r.t Indian roads.

btw, i drive xline 20d in Blr.

Congrats.
Appreciate 1
pg1012.00
      01-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #7
pg101
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrkarthikkumar View Post
1. Mud flaps are must if you clean the car yourself saves lot of effort.
2. Lot of options available in Amazon or get all weather mats for bmw dealer.
3. Not sure how a camera can replace front sensor, But for emergency recording i'm using 70mai pro - works fine.
4. Yes, i bought from amazon.
5. 17 inch works well for indian roads w.r.t suspension .It's based on customer feedback bmw downsized stock size to 17 for comfort. Many bad experiences with 18 or 19 inch ones w.r.t Indian roads.

btw, i drive xline 20d in Blr.

Congrats.
Thanks Karthik.

I get my car on the 29th finally.

I went ahead and asked the dealer to put mud flaps and also the mats. The mats are still free, so I am good.

I was checking out the dash cams.. 70mai did get my attention.. will check it out.

Thanks again for your response. I am from Noida. Bangalore is my birthplace
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 05:09 AM   #8
Zookol
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 S drive

I am a big fan of Tuxmats. Fit my X1 perfect, clip in place, and look upscale even after a year or two. Very easy to clean as compared to rubber.

Not cheap, but nice
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:29 PM   #9
pg101
Rep

Finally.. got the X1 yesterday... been driving it and loving it

Just one thing I noticed.. the back row seat are quite upright... i was looking for a way to recline it.. but it seems there isn't any.. i see a two finger gap between the seat and the trunk cover... thought it should recline a bit more...

Lots of reading and exploring to do..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 08:30 AM   #10
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Finally.. got the X1 yesterday... been driving it and loving it

Just one thing I noticed.. the back row seat are quite upright... i was looking for a way to recline it.. but it seems there isn't any.. i see a two finger gap between the seat and the trunk cover... thought it should recline a bit more...

Lots of reading and exploring to do..
If your car has rear/back seat adjustment then the lever is underneath the front of the seats. Pull lever up and the seat will slide backwards and forwards by about 6 inches. This adjustment alters the seat base and the seat back is altered by pulling the loops positioned at bottom of backrest both adjustments makes seat less steep. The loop is same one used to put seat back upright when it is folded down, I suggest you have folded seat and not pushed it back fully.

If your rear seat does not have adjustment (it is an option and not fitted on all cars although was std on x-line for most markets) then seat base cannot be moved but loop will sort seat back. Pull loop and push seat back hard, it has a couple of locking positions.

May I recommend you download from internet the BMW drivers guide app, it is available from Apple App Store and google play store. You register your car VIN and it gives a detailed manual for your exact car. The guide shows rear seat adjustment handle and the seat back adjustment loops/handles. I cannot cut and paste picture as it is copy-right protected.

Last edited by MJE60; 01-30-2021 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 10:58 AM   #11
pg101
Rep

Thanks.. I have the app loaded. Yeah.. the seat is like that.. checked in the demo car as well.. oh well.. it's a matter of getting used to.. I'm yet to set my most comfortable driving position..

Not having Android Auto sucks..

Maybe they'll be able to one day update the SW to support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
If your car has rear/back seat adjustment then the lever is underneath the front of the seats. Pull lever up and the seat will slide backwards and forwards by about 6 inches. This adjustment alters the seat base and the seat back is altered by pulling the loops positioned at bottom of backrest both adjustments makes seat less steep. The loop is same one used to put seat back upright when it is folded down, I suggest you have folded seat and not pushed it back fully.

If your rear seat does not have adjustment (it is an option and not fitted on all cars although was std on x-line for most markets) then seat base cannot be moved but loop will sort seat back. Pull loop and push seat back hard, it has a couple of locking positions.

May I recommend you download from internet the BMW drivers guide app, it is available from Apple App Store and google play store. You register your car VIN and it gives a detailed manual for your exact car. The guide shows rear seat adjustment handle and the seat back adjustment loops/handles. I cannot cut and paste picture as it is copy-right protected.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:27 AM   #12
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.. I have the app loaded. Yeah.. the seat is like that.. checked in the demo car as well.. oh well.. it's a matter of getting used to.. I'm yet to set my most comfortable driving position..

Not having Android Auto sucks..

Maybe they'll be able to one day update the SW to support it.
Good news, happy motoring
Appreciate 0