BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Anyone using T-Mobile's new 5G Home Internet?

01-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Anyone using T-Mobile's new 5G Home Internet?

Anyone? I'm seriously thinking of ditching Comcast but I need to make sure it's rock solid reliable given I now work from home. Comcast is slow and expensive, but it rarely crashes on me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
No experience with T Mobile personally. I have nothing to add but thought you deserved a response.

Verizon here. Not cheap, pretty quick and no crashes. I know they are rolling out 5G in certain areas.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614886.50
      01-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Only experience i have is with their 4G LTE phone service but it’s been great. Very fast and reliable.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

vs TMobile, Google FI might be a cheaper option, uses same TMobile towers/system from what I understand. The tethering option.

I can tether anything I want through my phone (Verizon). But at home here I'm just out of 5G range so it's not worth it. Home is 10MB, what I've tested of 5G is 20MB.

If you're looking to combine services and lower a bill, check the tether options on your current cell plan and your phones capabilities.
Can use, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

Also are you working for yourself or someone?
Maybe push the company into paying the bill? The maybe look into calling it a second cellphone line with unlimited data/streaming/etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I get 50/20 30ms latency with 5G, my Verizon fiber is like 300/300 with 10ms latency, it's also $10 cheaper

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 01-07-2021 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 11:23 PM   #6
longm1985
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi

I guess you really need to see what the signal is like in your area. I've had a T Mobile 5G phone (OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren - long enough name???) since January, and my speeds are all over the place. Full signal in downtown or at a friend's house I get 220/80, but at home I'm not getting anything consistent (I've had 75 down, but now I just ran a speedtest and got 33). Oddly enough, I get 145/50 in the locker room at the Y waiting for my kid to finish getting ready after swim lessons, which takes FOREVER.

Also 5G kills my battery, so I'm using 4G 99% of the time. But when I need to download big updates on the go and I'm in a hotspot, holy crap is it fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I hate when my d*ck flies out of my pants under hard braking, so I think the seats are great.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #7
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

I am using their 4g LTE home internet and it’s been reliable and great, however, I signed up to be alerted when the 5g was out and heard nothing. Is it available?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #8
DETRoadster
Rep

Thanks for the input everyone! So far it sounds like no one here actually has their 5G home service, yet. For me, it's the only available alternate to Comcast in my area. Well, I also could do CenturyLink but they only have an old 1.5 Mbps T1 line in the street so that's not really an option for me. So it's $90 a month for 25 Mbps of Comcast with their throttled connection and data streaming caps, or, $50 a month for T-Mobile with no throttle, no caps, no contract, no equipment rental. I guess all I have to lose is $50 if I try it for a month and hate it. I'd likely keep the Comcast connection active for that month just in case, then cancel it after I discover whether the T Mobile service will work for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 08:42 AM   #9
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Probably a dumb question, but I take it this is something that would only be available in a larger metro area? I know nothing about 5G, but we're planning to move a bit more rural on our next move with internet being the biggest concern as both of our income is home-based (regardless of the 'Rona).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! So far it sounds like no one here actually has their 5G home service, yet. For me, it's the only available alternate to Comcast in my area. Well, I also could do CenturyLink but they only have an old 1.5 Mbps T1 line in the street so that's not really an option for me. So it's $90 a month for 25 Mbps of Comcast with their throttled connection and data streaming caps, or, $50 a month for T-Mobile with no throttle, no caps, no contract, no equipment rental. I guess all I have to lose is $50 if I try it for a month and hate it. I'd likely keep the Comcast connection active for that month just in case, then cancel it after I discover whether the T Mobile service will work for me.
I had Comcast before Verizon, no throttle and no caps. I think it was 100mbps and I paid $50
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I did the same when I was looking to move off of Verizon DSL to Comcast cable Internet by keeping both services active for a month. Prior to Comcast taking over Adelphia, Adelphia's service was horrible. Even though the line speeds are faster than DSL, the reliability of the connection and their DNS left a lot to be desired. DSL was rock solid and why I kept it for so many years.

One thing you need to consider is the tower itself. One of the posters mentioned their performance is all over the place. That's because you're sharing that tower with everyone else using the tower for access. The more subscribers hammering the tower, the lower your performance. There is also the land line circuit T-Mobile has pulled to the tower. Network engineers will make a best guess as to what the data usage would be in that area and will many times allow some level of oversubscription banking on that the peak demand won't happen too often that would saturate the land line.

It's appealing for at least my vacation home. But as I think about what I have running between my primary and vacation homes, I'm not the typical home user. I have a dedicated Layer 2 encrypted tunnel that runs 24/7 between my homes which current provides land line service to my vacation home shared out from my Verizon land line service at my primary home. I'll be expanding more services I have between my homes in the near future. I doubt the required T-Mobile router will support any of the features I need.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 10:17 AM   #12
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To clarify, is the 5g being offered to you? I went to the landing page and again it states its just the LTE I have and I have received no notification. I called the support line and asked, was told q1 2021 was the anticipated date, so should be soon. I have an iPhone 12 Pro and speed tested 5g, pretty consistent above 200 mbps vs the average of 85-100 I see with LTE. GIMME GIMME LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #13
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
To clarify, is the 5g being offered to you? I went to the landing page and again it states its just the LTE I have and I have received no notification. I called the support line and asked, was told q1 2021 was the anticipated date, so should be soon. I have an iPhone 12 Pro and speed tested 5g, pretty consistent above 200 mbps vs the average of 85-100 I see with LTE. GIMME GIMME LOL
Good call! Their advertising and webpage are pretty deceptive. They are sill in "pilot" phase on 4G LTE with 5G coming this year. Their slick ads lured me in and I was fooled into thinking it was actually 5G. Will be very interesting to see if they hold that $50/month with no data caps and no throttling once it's actually 5G. I'm going to sit tight for now and see how it unfolds. Thanks for catching that and bringing it to my attention!
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #14
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good call! Their advertising and webpage are pretty deceptive. They are sill in "pilot" phase on 4G LTE with 5G coming this year. Their slick ads lured me in and I was fooled into thinking it was actually 5G. Will be very interesting to see if they hold that $50/month with no data caps and no throttling once it's actually 5G. I'm going to sit tight for now and see how it unfolds. Thanks for catching that and bringing it to my attention!
No problem! So far it been great for me at $50 and the 4g has bested my Cox cable service but.. we will soon see with 5g!
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #15
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I actually called TMobile yesterday and spoke with a representative and they told me that 5G was not available in my area, Long Island, (even though I have it on my phone) and I put my name on a list to be notified when it does. I am interested in cutting the cord, but 1G internet is still like $70 a month and YouTubetv, Fubo, ect, winds up being about the same and then add-ons like HBO or showtime, but me back at cable levels again so it is not truly worth is. Especially if you want a MESH wifi, that's another $400-500+.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:38 AM   #16
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Am I the only one that is pretty satisfied with Comcast? Speed is extremely fast, reliable and price are fair. I am getting 500mbps. The only issue is the 1TB data cap.
      01-12-2021, 07:35 AM   #17
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Other than the annoying way Comcast provisions upload speeds for their different speed tiers, I've been satisfied overall up until their crap roll out of the 1.2TB data cap. The timing is totally ridiculous with many people still working from home and all the virtual learning going on. They could have waited when people are headed back to the office or schools.

Also, other ISPs have graduated caps where as you go up in their speed tiers, you get more data allowance. Not the case with Comcast.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #18
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Am I the only one that is pretty satisfied with Comcast? Speed is extremely fast, reliable and price are fair. I am getting 500mbps. The only issue is the 1TB data cap.
I mean, they must have at least a few satisfied customers. I'm just not one of them. I get crap service, crap performance, and crap pricing.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #19
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

So my wife and I moved from a town that had wired internet to the house, still didn't have Fiber but it was ok. Our new place is in the country so the choice was satellite internet or cellular internet. I think this is what you're asking about. You require line of site to a cell tower, and no more than 8km/5miles away. The cost is a bit less than our previous set up, we pay a lot more than you folks in the US. Speed is fine, my wife is working from home and does lots of video conferencing. I don't think it's any worse bandwidth wise than when we were wired, sometimes she has to park the video and just use audio but that's not that often. I can be surfing or watching netflix or wasting my time on this forum while she's conferencing and there are no issues. I do find that occasionally (usually around 8pm) if I'm watching a movie it gets some pixilation but nothing major. Won't be getting anything in 4K anytime soon. Hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #20
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So my wife and I moved from a town that had wired internet to the house, still didn't have Fiber but it was ok. Our new place is in the country so the choice was satellite internet or cellular internet. I think this is what you're asking about. You require line of site to a cell tower, and no more than 8km/5miles away. The cost is a bit less than our previous set up, we pay a lot more than you folks in the US. Speed is fine, my wife is working from home and does lots of video conferencing. I don't think it's any worse bandwidth wise than when we were wired, sometimes she has to park the video and just use audio but that's not that often. I can be surfing or watching netflix or wasting my time on this forum while she's conferencing and there are no issues. I do find that occasionally (usually around 8pm) if I'm watching a movie it gets some pixilation but nothing major. Won't be getting anything in 4K anytime soon. Hope this is helpful.
I'm interested to hear what folks use for internet in rural areas, but my guess is 5G isn't a part of the discussion. We knew our current residence was to be a pit stop with the long term sights set to a bit more seclusion. That said, decent internet is mandatory.

I'm not a big internet user - really this site is about the only thing I periodically check in on. But I do have video conferences and presentations I have to give. Wife gets sucked into Netflix and the like, but it's more a wind-down activity at the end of the day.

Curious what you use and what kind of speeds you see? Is it something specific to our northern neighbors? Any data caps?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #21
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I was ok with them, but Verizon is much better and cheaper now
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #22
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I'm interested to hear what folks use for internet in rural areas, but my guess is 5G isn't a part of the discussion. We knew our current residence was to be a pit stop with the long term sights set to a bit more seclusion. That said, decent internet is mandatory.

I'm not a big internet user - really this site is about the only thing I periodically check in on. But I do have video conferences and presentations I have to give. Wife gets sucked into Netflix and the like, but it's more a wind-down activity at the end of the day.

Curious what you use and what kind of speeds you see? Is it something specific to our northern neighbors? Any data caps?
The speed isn't that high, but I've had no issues streaming on multiple devices, the only issue is some pixilation on my 60" TV in the evening on occasion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1