BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 8.8 screen replacement for 2016 BMW X1

03-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
Beemer_Brother
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

8.8 screen replacement for 2016 BMW X1

Hello all. I have been scouring posts on this site about replacing my 6.5 in screen with something bigger and with Android auto capabilities.

I thought briefly about buying one of the many Android tablets available but I am wary of the boot time.

Because of this I decided to buy a kit for Android auto and replace the screen with a used oem 8.8 in one. I found a post on eBay for a good price but it says it's for 17-18 x1s.

Would it work with my 2016? Here is the link. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1105...=loc,osub=osub
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
Beemer_Brother
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

After more research I found this site. Seems like the screen will fit my x1.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
Mike2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 2017

hi, need to do the same..... have you done the upgrade yet ? thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 04:27 AM   #4
Ivan_K
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

There's a great thread about replacing the 6.5" with the 8.8" CID:

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...creen+retrofit

MJE60 already explained the whole process many times on various threads, so here's a copy/paste of his instructions which worked for me:

1. In order to access the CID screen screws you will have to remove the fascia from the (radio/ac multi instrument display) as well as strip along front of dash. Start by removing radio/control fascia first, it is held in place by 4 clips & 3 studs. The 3 studs clip into the dash strip. Start at bottom and pull straight out (not too far as wire & plugs). You do not need to disconnect leads, just let it rest on centre console.
2. For dash trim, start by passenger door, it pulls straight out but work your way along. The air vents will come out with the fascia strip, you will need to unclip the two leads for hazard/assist buttons. Two centre clips will probably be missing on the fascia trim in case you think you lost them, BMW saving a cent in the factory!
3. The screen is held in by two posi screws. Be careful, it is easy to lose them both. Make a tray out of Tin foil to place in gap between CID and the HU.
4. You do not need to remove the HU. Once CID screws are removed gently pull out, the cable will come out by about 6 inches which is enough to rotate the CID to get access to the plug in the back.
4. The plug is difficult to remove and the plastic is soft. There is a small clip on one side, press on and use a lflat blade screwdriver in lip at top to prise up the plug, it separates about 2/3 way down length but join can be difficult to see.
5. Once CID is unplugged, remove the tray in sits in. Take this indoors to work on or buy a replacement 8.8” size. If you use 6.5” tray you will have to adjust it slightly.
The 6.5” screen tray will need to be widened by a few mm (1/8th inch) either side. I used a hot air gun to soften the plastic and used the 8.8” screen to stretch the tray. I also used heated bolt (flame torch) of correct diameter to push the bottom edge of side lips down and sideways. With care the 8.8” screen will fit without showing any distortion or damage to the tray.
6. Refit, again take special care not to lose screws (tin foil tray).
7. Code new screen, it will not power up until coded. I have detailed the 4 fdl coding changes needed on a couple of different threads.
8. If it does power up and shows “no signal” (rare) then you have a problem and will need bmw unlock code (parts protection). Seller on eBay provides unlock service.
9. Send me a pic when it’s done. I would also be grateful if you clicked the appreciate tab on this reply.

P.s coding changes.
Using Bimmercode in expert mode HU NBT 3005 display_pip_config section
Change CID_Display_res from 800x480 to 1280x480
Change CID_Display_ size from 6.5 to 8.8
Now go out and enter 3001 section and find
Display_Variante and change from schmal (German for narrow) to breites (wide)
Now go into 3006 Nav section
Find Display_Resolution and change from 800x480 to 1280x480
In brief 4 coding changes in 3 separate section of NBT HU ecu
All changes require expert mode.
Screen works after first two code changes, nav will work also but you need to change res in nav section to get full screen effect in map view and finally section 3005 change is needed otherwise idrive home screen will only show two menu icons (like in 6.5 display) rather than 3.

So, these are his instructions.

I would just add, first use realoem.com to find out which screen is compatible with your car. You will find the exact part number for the CID so be sure you are buying the right one for your car.
Another thing you may need is the tray/trim, you'll need the 8.8" version, although as MJE60 indicated you could stretch the 6.5" trim to fit the bigger screen with it, it's your choice. Just be careful when purchasing the trim that you buy the LHD or RHD version.

These are the part numbers for the two trays/trims:

5145 9292128 for 8.8” CID on left hand drive cars

5145 9353267 for 8.8” CID on Right hand drive cars

Once you have the right CID and trim you can proceed with the above instructions. I personally didn't disconnect the battery while replacing the screen although this is really not recommendable. Especially if you plan on installing on the same day a MMI box, then you should definitely disconnect the battery. Here's a great tutorial on how to reach the battery and simply disconnect the negative pole (it takes 2 minutes, and don't forget that once you disconnect the battery wait a minute or two and then start removing the CID or HU): https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars/ne...-a-bmw-x1/6209

One more important thing if you own an ENTRY_NAV HU, is that the coding is a bit different and easier. Here are the necessary steps:

Using Bimmercode in expert mode:

1. 3000 HMI -> Display_Size_Resolution (here you can change both size and resolution from 6.5 to 8.8 and 800x480 to 1280x480)
2. 3001 EXBOX -> Display_Variante (change from schmal to breites)

This is all. There is no 3006 Nav Section where you need to set the display resolution to 1280x480, this is somehow already done with the aforementioned steps.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 05:19 AM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_K View Post
There's a great thread about replacing the 6.5" with the 8.8" CID:

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...creen+retrofit

MJE60 already explained the whole process many times on various threads, so here's a copy/paste of his instructions which worked for me:

1. In order to access the CID screen screws you will have to remove the fascia from the (radio/ac multi instrument display) as well as strip along front of dash. Start by removing radio/control fascia first, it is held in place by 4 clips & 3 studs. The 3 studs clip into the dash strip. Start at bottom and pull straight out (not too far as wire & plugs). You do not need to disconnect leads, just let it rest on centre console.
2. For dash trim, start by passenger door, it pulls straight out but work your way along. The air vents will come out with the fascia strip, you will need to unclip the two leads for hazard/assist buttons. Two centre clips will probably be missing on the fascia trim in case you think you lost them, BMW saving a cent in the factory!
3. The screen is held in by two posi screws. Be careful, it is easy to lose them both. Make a tray out of Tin foil to place in gap between CID and the HU.
4. You do not need to remove the HU. Once CID screws are removed gently pull out, the cable will come out by about 6 inches which is enough to rotate the CID to get access to the plug in the back.
4. The plug is difficult to remove and the plastic is soft. There is a small clip on one side, press on and use a lflat blade screwdriver in lip at top to prise up the plug, it separates about 2/3 way down length but join can be difficult to see.
5. Once CID is unplugged, remove the tray in sits in. Take this indoors to work on or buy a replacement 8.8” size. If you use 6.5” tray you will have to adjust it slightly.
The 6.5” screen tray will need to be widened by a few mm (1/8th inch) either side. I used a hot air gun to soften the plastic and used the 8.8” screen to stretch the tray. I also used heated bolt (flame torch) of correct diameter to push the bottom edge of side lips down and sideways. With care the 8.8” screen will fit without showing any distortion or damage to the tray.
6. Refit, again take special care not to lose screws (tin foil tray).
7. Code new screen, it will not power up until coded. I have detailed the 4 fdl coding changes needed on a couple of different threads.
8. If it does power up and shows “no signal” (rare) then you have a problem and will need bmw unlock code (parts protection). Seller on eBay provides unlock service.
9. Send me a pic when it’s done. I would also be grateful if you clicked the appreciate tab on this reply.

P.s coding changes.
Using Bimmercode in expert mode HU NBT 3005 display_pip_config section
Change CID_Display_res from 800x480 to 1280x480
Change CID_Display_ size from 6.5 to 8.8
Now go out and enter 3001 section and find
Display_Variante and change from schmal (German for narrow) to breites (wide)
Now go into 3006 Nav section
Find Display_Resolution and change from 800x480 to 1280x480
In brief 4 coding changes in 3 separate section of NBT HU ecu
All changes require expert mode.
Screen works after first two code changes, nav will work also but you need to change res in nav section to get full screen effect in map view and finally section 3005 change is needed otherwise idrive home screen will only show two menu icons (like in 6.5 display) rather than 3.

So, these are his instructions.

I would just add, first use realoem.com to find out which screen is compatible with your car. You will find the exact part number for the CID so be sure you are buying the right one for your car.
Another thing you may need is the tray/trim, you'll need the 8.8" version, although as MJE60 indicated you could stretch the 6.5" trim to fit the bigger screen with it, it's your choice. Just be careful when purchasing the trim that you buy the LHD or RHD version.

These are the part numbers for the two trays/trims:

5145 9292128 for 8.8” CID on left hand drive cars

5145 9353267 for 8.8” CID on Right hand drive cars

Once you have the right CID and trim you can proceed with the above instructions. I personally didn't disconnect the battery while replacing the screen although this is really not recommendable. Especially if you plan on installing on the same day a MMI box, then you should definitely disconnect the battery. Here's a great tutorial on how to reach the battery and simply disconnect the negative pole (it takes 2 minutes, and don't forget that once you disconnect the battery wait a minute or two and then start removing the CID or HU): https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars/ne...-a-bmw-x1/6209

One more important thing if you own an ENTRY_NAV HU, is that the coding is a bit different and easier. Here are the necessary steps:

Using Bimmercode in expert mode:

1. 3000 HMI -> Display_Size_Resolution (here you can change both size and resolution from 6.5 to 8.8 and 800x480 to 1280x480)
2. 3001 EXBOX -> Display_Variante (change from schmal to breites)

This is all. There is no 3006 Nav Section where you need to set the display resolution to 1280x480, this is somehow already done with the aforementioned steps.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Wow, I had forgotten this post.
Perhaps I can add the following..... my post was in respect of post 08/2017 (Entrynav 2 cars) and in these cars, if you wish to make the changes permanent (will not get overwritten by a software update- rare but can happen) then you have the option to VO code your car using E-sys. It involves changing the factory option from S6UN to S6UP however this option (certainly on Entrynav 2) requires you have a touch controller or retrofit a touch controller and touch control module (language specific). The retro-fit will also require a y-splitter cable. Please note, you cannot VO code a car with options that were not available from factory at the time the car was built, so if “touch screens and controllers” were never fitted to your car you must not try and VO code them!

If you wish to retrofit a touch controller, (for my 08/2017 built f48 with ENTRYNAV2 -part 9866964) and touch controller language module (I fitted part 9371374 for English language - but look up part number for language you require, they are different for different languages.), if not already installed. Please note my warning re cars pre 07/2017 (Entrynav).

The reason all these parts are required for 6UPA is if you try to VO code a “package” option like 6UPA without all necessary hardware it will throw a fault. I bought controller and language module from eBay. Both parts needed I-step updated to the same i-step as my car (part of E-sys coding and was easy to do). If you want to install touch controller you will also need a y-splitter cable so that language module can be retro-fitted next to controller (original language module is fitted is near door pillar). I bought y-splitter from eBay seller but make sure you get correct one for f48. Do not buy NBTevo splitter you need one for Entrynav 2 cars. If you get wrong cable the module will not connect with controller and car will not be able to be VO coded. If you wish to proceed then retrofit touch controller first and make sure it is working (should be plug and play) before getting VO coding done. Unfortunately newtis website was taken down by BMW so detailed instruction on how to swap the touch controller are missing. From memory, you need to undo the trim I front of the arm rest and lift out. Screws are hidden under centre consol (underneath bottom dash trim) and on side by passenger seat (have to move passenger seat fully back to access) and finally hidden in the bottom of the under armrest storage bin. Be careful with under armrest bin screws, they love falling into transmission tunnel and getting permanently lost.

Whilst more expensive and not essential. VO coding does provide one definite benefit (apart from being permanent), namely if you have a connected drive map-update subscription the you will probably start getting OTA auto updates (I did in the U.K.). I recommend doing touch controller and language module install first (it is basically plug and play) then get someone who can remote code using E-says. Because people ask, My best estimate at a fair price for the remote coding 6UN to 6UP is US$75-$100 but website coders will probably want at least double. finally make sure you tell them You want the update to be permanent. Please note I do not provide this service and have no affiliation to people on the forum who do. Finally my original post was for Entrynav 2 cars not Entrynav. You can easily check, go to your map version, if your map version has route in the description (e.g Europe West Route 2020-1) then you have Entrynav if your map has Way in the title (e.g Road Map Europe Way 2020-1) then You have Entrynav 2.

-edit subsequent to writing this post/reply I have found out that not all Entrynav HU (as opposed to Entrynav 2) cars can get 8.8” touch CID to work (it works for some and not others). For those who got problems, the issue appeared to be only half the screen showing an image, as if the wide screen coding was not being picked up by the HU.

Good luck MJE60

Last edited by MJE60; 03-04-2022 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Updated info
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #6
Ivan_K
Rep

I forgot to mention, I have an Entrynav and the whole procedure above (although originally written for Entrynav 2) worked for me, the only difference was the coding part.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      01-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_K View Post
I forgot to mention, I have an Entrynav and the whole procedure above (although originally written for Entrynav 2) worked for me, the only difference was the coding part.
Hi
You did mention towards end, that coding Entrynav was simpler.

It may help others if you can confirm CID part number you fitted to your car.

Edit : for info I must now advise that I have found out that not all Entrynav HU have been able to get these CID to work. Some owners are finding that the HU only displays on 50% of the Screen , as if the “breites/ wide” parameter/coding is not being accepted. In light of this I

Last edited by MJE60; 02-18-2021 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #8
Ivan_K
Rep

Sure, the part number is 65509387451, although you will probably find it on ebay using only the last 7 digits: 9387451.

And one more piece of advice when buying the 8.8" CID on ebay, it sells usually for around 450 euros, but just be patient and you'll find it for less money. I wasn't in a hurry and at the end bought it for 200 euros.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      01-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F48,F30, C Class Mercedes

Scree upgrade

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, I have an issue with mine, I’ve already posted this in general forum but no replies, I’m getting no signal error , I got the error even before I coded it and still getting it after I coded it, I’ve put the old screen back but now the radio only works via idrive, probably I didn’t plug something back. Screen on: 65506844128 , my car is 03/2017 MY, thanks in advance for any help. Forgot to add I have entrynav. I read somewhere that I need an unlock code , is that true

Last edited by SilverArrowF48; 01-30-2021 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #10
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrowF48 View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, I have an issue with mine, I’ve already posted this in general forum but no replies, I’m getting no signal error , I got the error even before I coded it and still getting it after I coded it, I’ve put the old screen back but now the radio only works via idrive, probably I didn’t plug something back. Screen on: 65506844128 , my car is 03/2017 MY, thanks in advance for any help. Forgot to add I have entrynav. I read somewhere that I need an unlock code , is that true
I replied to your post
Hi
Welcome to the forum and sorry for bad news

The part that would have been fitted at factory for 8.8”/6UP in your car at build date is 65509387451 (non touch).

If you had. Checked realoem or other part checker you will see that the part was
Superseded by:

65506844128 (07/2017 — 08/2018), nonexchangeable retrospectively
65508797400 (03/01/2018 — (08/2019), Exchangeable retrospectively
65508707407 (07/01/2019 — ), Exchangeable retrospectively
And

65509387451 Exchangeable retrospectively but NOT touch [for 6.5” to 8.8” non touch upgrade only]

Sadly the part you bought is nonexchangeable retrospectively and is one of the few Entrnav2 touch screens that will not work with your ENTRYNAV HU (which is why they are usually very cheap on eBay).

8797400 (touch) may work, or 8707407 (touch) *. But please see below

* - Edit please note, subsequent to writing this post I have found out that some Entrynav HU cannot get any 8.8” touch CID to work properly. (in other words it works for some but not others). My original post was in respect of ENTRYNAV2 HU not Entrynav.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Last edited by MJE60; 02-18-2021 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Updated info.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #11
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, that explain why, I will try and source the correct one, you are very helpful

Last edited by SilverArrowF48; 01-30-2021 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #12
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Finally got my 8.8 screen installed but it is not showing full screen, I have entrynav but I can't find the nav resolution section in BimmerCode, I've done the other two, change display resolution and briete display
By the way I send the other one back for a refund
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #13
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Finally got my 8.8 screen installed but it is not showing full screen, I have entrynav but I can't find the nav resolution section in BimmerCode, I've done the other two, change display resolution and briete display
You will not have resolution settings in nav because you have an Entrynav HU. What is the CID showing if you are not getting full screen?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:37 PM   #14
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
You will not have resolution settings in nav because you have an Entrynav HU. What is the CID showing if you are not getting full screen?
It is showing half of navigation and in spli screen mode the other side is black
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #15
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
It is showing half of navigation and in spli screen mode the other side is black
Hi
You are not the only person to have this issue
https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=27

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1622255
Edited with updated info:
I think there is a coding issue with screen and your HU. Some Entrynav owners can fit screen using Bimmercode and some cannot, it may be that those Entrynav which are o.k with 8.8” touchscreen are running different software version to your car. I do not think the screen is faulty. Sorry I think you may have to look at an android plug-in solution or (those with the same problem have found) it may be able to be solved by coding changes using E-sys. It looks possible that Bimmercode is not displaying all the parameters needing to be changed.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-19-2021 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #16
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
Hi
You are not the only person to have this issue
https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=27

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1622255

I think there is a comparability issue with screen and your HU. Some Entrynav owners can fit screen and some cannot, it may be that those Entrynav which are o.k with 8.8" touchscreen are running different software version to your car. I do not think the screen is faulty. Sorry I think you may have to look at an android plug-in solution.
Just my luck, Thanks for your help, I guess I will give a rest for now and decided if I want Android later
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #17
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I saw this while searching the forums, i will try it tomorrow

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1782830
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 03:06 AM   #18
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Just an update, I coded it with E-SYS this morning and it is all looking great. This is my first esys coding, I've been using BimmerCode up till now, this got me thinking that maybe the first screen I got wasn't faulty after all
Forgot to say thank you all, without this forum I wouldn't have done it
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Homersbud188.50
MJE60678.00
IvanK10.50
      02-19-2021, 07:10 AM   #19
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Quote:

Just an update, I coded it with E-SYS this morning and it is all looking great. This is my first esys coding, I've been using BimmerCode up till now, this got me thinking that maybe the first screen I got wasn't faulty after all
Thanks for the info! Was a bit worried when I do my upgrade but appears to be all good using e-sys instead of Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:10 AM   #20
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Great news, it would be helpful for others if you could explain what changes were made with E-sys . It looks like Bimmercode is not picking up all the parameters needing to be changed. E-sys is not a tool that can be quickly or easily mastered so most people will probably have to use a remote coding service.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-19-2021 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:59 AM   #21
Bigbadbear48
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

This is an excellent find Silverarrow48. I was also using BimmerCode when I had the same issue. Unfortunately I sent my Screen back last week. I may make another attempt now based on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 01:53 AM   #22
Yank
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 MSPORT 2019

I am also looking to do an upgrade from 6.5 to 8.8 inch screen but the screen costs on ebay are now around 500 GBP is that reasonable?
Appreciate 0