BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 Late 2018 upgrade 6.5 CID to 8.8

01-16-2021, 11:05 PM   #23
kkc427
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 e40, X3M, m340i

For screen upgrade, do I just remove upper trim to get access or lower trim with audio control also need to be out? I’m having difficulty time on removing lower trim. Only video I can find on YouTube are for Android upgrade. Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #24
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkc427 View Post
For screen upgrade, do I just remove upper trim to get access or lower trim with audio control also need to be out? I'm having difficulty time on removing lower trim. Only video I can find on YouTube are for Android upgrade. Thank you in advance!
For the 2016 version, you have to remove the upper trim & HU (audio/climate control) to get clear access to the CID.

In order to get the upper trim out all the way, you have to pry up the HU as that is securing the left side of the upper trim down. Once you get that, the rest should be easy to remove.

Good luck!

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #25
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkc427 View Post
For screen upgrade, do I just remove upper trim to get access or lower trim with audio control also need to be out? I’m having difficulty time on removing lower trim. Only video I can find on YouTube are for Android upgrade. Thank you in advance!
To remove the lower trim, start at the bottom and pull out. The trim pieces are both press fit, no screws. It takes a great deal more force than you think, once the trim starts to pull away use a non-metal pry tool to help. The lower trim is connects to the upper via three clips, which can easily be lost so be careful. I started by removing upper trim, start from passenger side nearest the door and slowly work along. Both lower and upper trim need to be removed to get access to the HU and CID. When removing the two CID screws, create a paper tray and insert into the gap below the screws because if they drop then they will fall all the way into centre console and be lost. Remove HU first, pull out carefully as the cable can be tight but will slowly give. Once you have access unclipped cable to CID, the. Remove CID and unclip cable/lead, be aware that it can be tricky to unplug the connector, take your time. The 8.8” CID will fit into the 6.5” tray but needs the end stretching otherwise by the larger dash tray. Note: upper and lower trim are linked by three metal clips you can remove either trim first. Be careful not to pull trim pieces out too far as they have connectors which need to be unplugged (e.g hazard). You will need Bimmercode to code for larger screen resolution, I have detailed instructions in another thread on this forum.

Last edited by MJE60; 12-03-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:13 PM   #26
kkc427
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 e40, X3M, m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
To remove the lower trim, start at the bottom and pull out. The trim pieces are both press fit, no screws. It takes a great deal more force than you think, once the trim starts to pull away use a non-metal pry tool to help. The lower trim is connects to the upper via three clips, which can easily be lost so be careful. I started by removing upper trim, start from passenger side nearest the door and slowly work along. Both lower and upper trim need to be removed to get access to the HU and CID. When removing the two CID screws, create a paper tray and insert into the gap below the screws because if they drop then they will fall all the way into centre console and be lost. Remove HU first, pull out carefully as the cable can be tight but will slowly give. Once you have access unclipped cable to CID, the. Remove CID and unclip cable/lead, be aware that it can be tricky to unplug the connector, take your time. The 8.8” CID will fit into the 6.5” tray but needs the end stretching otherwise by the larger dash tray. Note: upper and lower trim are linked by three metal clops you can remove either trim first. Be careful not to pull trim pieces out too far as they have connectors which need to be unplugged (e.g hazard). If you need any more help then just PM me. You will need Bimmercode to code for larger screen resolution, I have detailed instructions in another thread on this forum.
Successful removed. Best approach is hard pull from the bottom without any tool. Thank you All so much for the help!!
Appreciate 1
mrpingu167.00
      02-16-2021, 07:01 AM   #27
Bigbadbear48
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

I have 2015 (UK 65 plate) X1 (F48). It was originally fitted with the 6.5 unit. The interface is of the NBT type and the nav indicates that it is the “entrynav” variety.

I had a go at installing a 9387451 screen earlier this morning, and updating the coding as per the instructions here (i.e. resolution to 1280x480 and Display_Variante and change from schmal to breites.

What happens next is a bit odd. The screen comes on and correctly shows the logo over the full screen. However when the system is booted up it only shows a right aligned 800x480 screen, with the interface “cropped” off (see picture for illustration). I am tempted to think that the screen is faulty, but the fact that it shows the logo across the full screen on startup seems to suggest otherwise.

Have anyone come across this issue before? Any suggestions for solutions?

A further minor question, what is the best way to solve the slight mismatch between the plastic trims (i.e. the screen does not quite fit in the cutout for the 6.5 screen)?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #28
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbadbear48 View Post
I have 2015 (UK 65 plate) X1 (F48). It was originally fitted with the 6.5 unit. The interface is of the NBT type and the nav indicates that it is the “entrynav” variety.

I had a go at installing a 9387451 screen earlier this morning, and updating the coding as per the instructions here (i.e. resolution to 1280x480 and Display_Variante and change from schmal to breites.

What happens next is a bit odd. The screen comes on and correctly shows the logo over the full screen. However when the system is booted up it only shows a right aligned 800x480 screen, with the interface “cropped” off (see picture for illustration). I am tempted to think that the screen is faulty, but the fact that it shows the logo across the full screen on startup seems to suggest otherwise.

Have anyone come across this issue before? Any suggestions for solutions?

A further minor question, what is the best way to solve the slight mismatch between the plastic trims (i.e. the screen does not quite fit in the cutout for the 6.5 screen)?
From the info you have provided it suggests that not all software is picking up the new resolution and screen size. I suggest you go into the HU module in advanced mode then enter the search function (swipe down from top of screen) and search “ Display”. It should list all parameters with this term. Write them all down and then enter each one and check resolution and screen size, alter and code where necessary. Afterwards go back and check each parameter. You may have inadvertently not saved/coded all parameters. Earlier in this thread I have posted coding changes, these are for ENTRYNAV2 but check/look for all of them . You may, for example, have had a software update (e.g display size) and see more parameters which need coding.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-16-2021 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #29
Bigbadbear48
Rep

Thank you for the quick response MJE60. I have used the search function in BimmerCode and looked for some obvious key words: i.e. “display”, “resolution”, “screen” etc. Unfortunately it does not yield any more locations that can be edited for anything other than ‘active’/‘not active’.

I may need to give up on this and try to return the screen as defective.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #30
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response MJE60. I have used the search function in BimmerCode and looked for some obvious key words: i.e. “display”, “resolution”, “screen” etc. Unfortunately it does not yield any more locations that can be edited for anything other than ‘active’/‘not active’.

I may need to give up on this and try to return the screen as defective.
The display might be defective although full logo suggests it is not the actual screen, it may be worth double checking the connectors are fully seated in back of CID and HU. Hope you get it sorted.

With regard to fitting 8.8” screen into 6.5” tray, I used a hot air gun to warm the tray (out of the dash) and slowly stretched the slot ends. I also use a hot bolt of correct diameter to push down lugs at end of the slot. With care one can achieve a perfect fit.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-16-2021 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #31
IvanK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Sorry to hear you run into problems.

Maybe try to code again one thing at a time. First the resolution->code, then the display variant->code.

You can stretch the tray as MJE60 described or you can buy a new one (maybe search for used ones also on ebay).

The tray is different for left hand and right hand drive cars, so careful which one you would order.

These are the part numbers:

5145 9292128 for 8.8" CID on left hand drive cars

5145 9353267 for 8.8" CID on right hand drive cars
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-17-2021, 03:04 AM   #32
Bigbadbear48
Rep

Thank you Ivan. I think I have made the initial investments (tools, cables, app) on this and proven to myself that it was quite straightforward once you remove the trim. I will have another go to double check the connections at the back of the head unit and also double check the coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #33
Bigbadbear48
Rep

My second attempt did not yield any different results than the first one. I ensured that both connectors (screen and head unit) are properly connected.

I have also played extensively with the coding options. The screen flat refuses to show anything on the right hand part. Depending on which setting is selected I can either show a cropped menu, or the left hand part of a split screen.

I have now started the return process for the screen and will reconsider the options. I can either try to buy another one off eBay, or alternatively I may try my hands on something from AVIN, have not decide yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #34
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
My second attempt did not yield any different results than the first one. I ensured that both connectors (screen and head unit) are properly connected.

I have also played extensively with the coding options. The screen flat refuses to show anything on the right hand part. Depending on which setting is selected I can either show a cropped menu, or the left hand part of a split screen.

I have now started the return process for the screen and will reconsider the options. I can either try to buy another one off eBay, or alternatively I may try my hands on something from AVIN, have not decide yet.
I have just picked up someone else with an Entrynav HU that is getting identical problem. Some Entrynav HU appear to be happy with the 8.8 touch CID but clearly some are not. It may be due to different software versions or even slightly different HU components. Without knowing what software versions and exact HU build dates are successful compared to those that are not, it is difficult to know if a software update might solve the problem. As it stands, imho anyone with an Entrynav HU wanting to retrofit an 8.8” touch display should accept that it may not work. Sorry, on the bright side an Avin type solution is an option which many owners are very happy with.

My original post and advice was in respect of Entrynav 2 HU which are fairly straightforward to retrofit.It appears to be a lottery for Entrynav HU.
Appreciate 1
IvanK10.50
      02-19-2021, 03:32 AM   #35
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F48,F30, C Class Mercedes

Quote:

I have exactly the same problem as you, i solved it this morning using esys , I was using BimmerCode before , search for my post . This is original post that lead me to the fix https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1782830
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-19-2021, 07:03 AM   #36
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrowF48 View Post
I have exactly the same problem as you, i solved it this morning using esys , I was using BimmerCode before , search for my post . This is original post that lead me to the fix https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1782830
Useful to know that there are obviously further coding changes needed other than those showing up in the Bimmercode app. It would appear that Bimmercode is not picking up and showing all the parameters in the HU module. In Entrynav2 I flagged this as an issue and that for wide screen content to be optimised it needed changes to be made in nav section as well. These parameters are not showing up for Entrynav and are causing problems for some Entrynav HU but not others. I strongly suspect it is due to different software versions. I am pleased it can be solved using E-sys but this is a less accessible tool for most people trying to retrofit.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-19-2021 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #37
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F48,F30, C Class Mercedes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrowF48 View Post
Useful to know that there are obviously further coding changes needed other than those showing up in the Bimmercode app. It would appear that Bimmercode is not picking up and showing all the parameters in the HU module. In Entrynav2 I flagged this as an issue and that for wide screen content to be optimised it needed changes to be made in nav section as well. These parameters are not showing up for Entrynav and are causing problems for some Entrynav HU but not others. I strongly suspect it is die to different software versions. I am pleased it can be solved using E-sys but this is a less accessible tool for most people trying to retrofit.
Agreed, thanks for all your help, it's been you who gives useful info all the time
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      08-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #38
chawalit
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Put EVO unit with screen 6.5 inch.

I have 6.5 inch screen for Entry
I want to upgrade Head unit to EVO
Who know how to do EVO with 6.5 inch screen
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:10 AM   #39
dRsBE
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
If you carefully and correctly replace the 6.5” screen with a genuine (BMW oem) 8.8” screen with correct part number for the car then BMW would legally struggle to void your warranty (except in relation to the screen). [Please note this is an International forum and my comment is in respect of U.K. law].

I replaced my screen and it has no effect on any OTA/ subscription services. In brief this means all iDrive functions work exactly as before, with a few layout and feature improvements (made possible due to larger screen size. Eg. Split screen) Please note however that your HU (Head Unit) would need to be coded for the larger screen to work. I have posted details of the code changes needed within several threads on this forum. Plugging in the larger screen without coding will give you a blank display.

Coding change needed to upgrade 6.5” display to 8.8” for f48
Using Bimmercode in expert mode HU NBT 3005 display_pip_config section
Change CID_Display_res from 800x480 to 1280x480
Change CID_Display_ size from 6.5 to 8.8
Now go out and enter 3001 section and find
Display_Variante and change from schmal (German for narrow) to breites (wide)
Now go into Nav section
Find Display_Resolution and change from 800x480 to 1280x480
In brief 4 coding changes in 3 separate section of NBT HU ecu
All changes require expert mode.
Screen works after first two code changes, nav will work also but you need to change res in nav section to get full screen effect in map view and finally section 3005 change is needed otherwise idrive home screen will only show two menu icons (like in 6.5 display) rather than 3.
Lifesaver
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #40
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2018

Quote:
Hi korovkinea
Sorry to read your problem. For a start the part you tried to fit was superseded twice by part 65508797400 (from 03 JAN 2018) and earlier by part 65506844128. Second issue is that the part you fitted was for EU/USA cars with ENTRYNAV Head Unit built between July 2015 and July 2017. Many cars in Russia have NBTevo HU which uses a different CID. Sorry, without your VIN I cannot be certain but I suspect the part will not work in your car.

For anyone else, please be wary buying parts using part numbers given by forum members, this is an international forum and specs vary between markets. What works for USA cars can be wrong for EU cars (for example airbags) and some markets have completely different Head Units altogether. Always check part using your car VIN.

I coded screen from 6" to 8" two years ago. After dealer upgrade the main unit, Display_Resolution doesn't have the 1280*480 option and BimmerCoder asking me to enter a hex code.

Do you happen to know what hex code I suppose to enter to represent 1280*480 for Display_Resolution option?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #41
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beams View Post
I coded screen from 6" to 8" two years ago. After dealer upgrade the main unit, Display_Resolution doesn't have the 1280*480 option and BimmerCoder asking me to enter a hex code.

Do you happen to know what hex code I suppose to enter to represent 1280*480 for Display_Resolution option?
I no longer have f48 so I cannot check but I believe the hex value for 8.8-1280x480 resolution is 01. This is based on 6.5 800*480 being 00 and 10.25 1280x480 being 02

If dealer upgraded HU then unclear why resolution needs changing if screen working. If you refitted the 6.5” screen for dealer upgrade and now want to replace with 8.8: again then existing hex value should be showing 00 for 6.5 and 01 should work for 8.8. Bimmercode in expert mode should display options in 3000 hdmi, or search resolution in headunit module.
Appreciate 1
Beams8.50
      12-31-2022, 10:49 AM   #42
zimrk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25d F48

Hi
For those who have upgraded from 6.5 to 8.8, did it slot straight in or do I need get a CID adapter trim? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 10:59 AM   #43
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimrk View Post
Hi
For those who have upgraded from 6.5 to 8.8, did it slot straight in or do I need get a CID adapter trim? Thanks
get the adapter trim. you can make the originally work but you need to cut to make it fit. just spend the few extra bucks for the proper trim piece and you’ll be happy you did so.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 10:32 AM   #44
zimrk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25d F48

Hi

I want to upgrade my screen to 8.8 from 6.5. My x1 is 2017 how do I find the right screen for my car as I’ve been told some won’t work with my car. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0