BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Engine/ DCT rattle when engine hot in neutral brand new car

08-28-2019, 03:45 AM   #1
adrakt13
Greece
Rep
Drives: BM X1 F48 S18i xline automatic

Engine/ DCT rattle when engine hot in neutral brand new car

Guys i have a small problem i hope i am not completely off topic here.. but there is a rough idle sound maybe clutch related to my brand new bmw x1 f48 s18i automatic getrag DCT 7 speed and i need people to hear it so that i can be sure if it's normal or not. Tomorrow i will try to check the test drive car to see it it has similar problem.

my car has a rough engine idle sound more of a rattle when idle but only when HOT when in neutral and when in gear but pressing the brake. The sound goes completely away if i try this when the engine is cold.. please check this out if you can help

1.rattle idle sound when engine hot:

2.normal engine sound when cold:

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
HispidaSnake
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series F40

HI, I'm having the same exact issue on my BMW with same engine and gearbox.
Car is new and dealer says is normal, I don't belive that.
I'm a little desperate about it; Do you have any news on the issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
adrakt13
Greece
Rep
Drives: BM X1 F48 S18i xline automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HispidaSnake View Post
HI, I'm having the same exact issue on my BMW with same engine and gearbox.
Car is new and dealer says is normal, I don't belive that.
I'm a little desperate about it; Do you have any news on the issue?
Hello.. it was not the engine at all... as it seemed when the car was hot there was an expansion in the driver's fender that caused the headlight to rattle... a little repositioning and I was done.. I believe that there is too much vibration in neutral for the 3 cylinder engine and that's why things like that happen but it was nothing in my case.. try give it some time especially if it is brand new and noise isn't too much troubling.. I had a rattle in the dash when going uphill in very cold weather that went away after some months.. I know it is not a solution but give some time to the materials to expand with heat and cold and cold weather and I believe you will find it is nothing..
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
HispidaSnake
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series F40

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrakt13 View Post
Hello.. it was not the engine at all... as it seemed when the car was hot there was an expansion in the driver's fender that caused the headlight to rattle... a little repositioning and I was done.. I believe that there is too much vibration in neutral for the 3 cylinder engine and that's why things like that happen but it was nothing in my case.. try give it some time especially if it is brand new and noise isn't too much troubling.. I had a rattle in the dash when going uphill in very cold weather that went away after some months.. I know it is not a solution but give some time to the materials to expand with heat and cold and cold weather and I believe you will find it is nothing..
Wow you don't know how much this message of yours has reassured me! Thanks for the reply indeed!

EDIT: I tried to check but the noise seems to come from under the air box, not near the driver side headlight

Here two videos of the noise:

Last edited by HispidaSnake; 01-19-2021 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Added videos
Appreciate 0