BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Are M-Brakes not as big of a hinderance for new winter wheels as I thought?

10-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M35i

Question Are M-Brakes not as big of a hinderance for new winter wheels as I thought?

It's getting closer to winter and since I snowboard a lot living in Seattle, I decided to get some winter tires for my M35i. I always thought it was hard to find wheels that would fit our larger M-Brakes, but Tirerack seems to have quite a few to choose from:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...&package=false

Does this seem normal, or am I overthinking it?

Also, I was thinking of going 19x8 to match the stock 19" wheels I have now. After looking through older posts here I see some people went 18" instead, what's the reason for that? I grew up in Chicago so I'm used to driving all seasons in the snow and have done so the last 14 years. But this is my first BMW and first time buying separate winter tires, so I want to make sure I order the right thing

Pairing the wheels with Winter Sottozero 3 RFTs. I would probably rather go wth Blizzaks, but the wife wants RFTs still.

Thanks for any help or pointers.
      10-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
jcatral14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral Grey X2 M35i

18" rims will allow you to go to 205 width. Narrower tires are better for the snow since you're not pushing as much snow out of the way and concentrates the weight of the car onto a smaller area. Also the higher sidewall helps with cushioning the bumps from potholes, etc.

-jay

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

It was just more difficult last year to find the rims available.. Tire rack and many other places didn't have much listed when you searched for x2 m35i if it was even available. Then you had to look for your own with the right offsets. They make it so much easier once their database/crossreference is updated now as you found. Any dedicated winter tires make your all seasons look pitiful.. I grew up most of my life not being able to afford a switchover, and just learning how to drive (which is good) But once you can get yourself a good set of winter tires it's just a game changer.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M35i

Thanks guys.