BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i

09-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #133
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

so the takeaway is to bug dinan to get the hell on it already
      09-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #134
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
For those who have the JB4 and Bluetooth/Application installed and using it, is there a need to connect anything in from the unit in the engine bay to the OBDII port? And if so - for what reason?
If you want steering wheel controls, there's a plug that goes from the tuning box to your OBDII port.. whether or not it corrects any readings I'll have to do some poking around if I remember on Tuesday when I go to work.. I'll have to see what combo I can go about, since I don't want to try to bring multiple devices to read at the same time, although that would be the best way to compare readings at the same instant.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #135
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
so the takeaway is to bug dinan to get the hell on it already
Basically yes.
      09-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #136
connerry330i
Private
Rep

Quote:
but is it the exact same engine variant? i was told by my local bmw dealership that this particular variant of the b48 engine was bespoke to the m35i which i don't quite believe but i still think it's rather low volume.

i do think that this exact engine is used in the m-performance 1 series in europe, and perhaps it's used in the mini jcw gp, right? those are the only applications that i can think of. the mini jcw gp is a low-volume seller, and i don't know how well the m-performance version of the 1 series sells.
It's in the X2 M35i, the 2 Series Gran Coupe M35i, the Euro 1 Series M35i, and the MINI JCW's Countryman, Clubman, and the GP. The MINIs are how I ended up here, I drove the Clubman and Countryman JCWs and ended up with the X2. We're all on the same platform, kids, the X2 is a Countryman in Prada vs. clubwear.
      09-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #137
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerry340i View Post
Basically yes.
Just some FYI.. but lots of Dinan stuff doesn't have a warranty anymore like the boost controller that was tried here. Cut and paste from their website description:
DINANTRONICS Sport does not carry the factory matching warranty that Dinan is known for. DINANTRONICS Sport's warranty is a 1-year product only warranty that does not cover consequential damages or labor reimbursement.

Around here in MA there are I believe ZERO BMW dealers that are Dinan dealers. My friend's shop is certified himself for Dinan tunes which is nice. I have only experienced the Dinan flash tune in an n54 powered E60 and that was definitely lack lustre. I would say it was on par with the Cobb. I myself had the JB4 .. and did also drive a full MHD flashed one that may have been "smoother" a little, but pretty much on par. The high power users would use the JB4 plus a back end flash of MHD to get all the bells and whistles.

Just a quick comparison on price as well.. the Dinan stage 1\2 package was about $1,800-$2,100 versus a JB4 or cobb being around $450 and.. MHD I believe coming in just a little cheaper after all the licenses and hardware is bought. Back then the Dinan flash did have a full warranty though.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #138
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Dinan of now is not the Dinan of yesteryear.

So let's stop talking about it please.

Cannot live in the past but only the present.

This is a JB4 thread. 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #139
connerry330i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Just some FYI.. but lots of Dinan stuff doesn't have a warranty anymore like the boost controller that was tried here. Cut and paste from their website description:
DINANTRONICS Sport does not carry the factory matching warranty that Dinan is known for. DINANTRONICS Sport's warranty is a 1-year product only warranty that does not cover consequential damages or labor reimbursement.

Around here in MA there are I believe ZERO BMW dealers that are Dinan dealers. My friend's shop is certified himself for Dinan tunes which is nice. I have only experienced the Dinan flash tune in an n54 powered E60 and that was definitely lack lustre. I would say it was on par with the Cobb. I myself had the JB4 .. and did also drive a full MHD flashed one that may have been "smoother" a little, but pretty much on par. The high power users would use the JB4 plus a back end flash of MHD to get all the bells and whistles.

Just a quick comparison on price as well.. the Dinan stage 1\2 package was about $1,800-$2,100 versus a JB4 or cobb being around $450 and.. MHD I believe coming in just a little cheaper after all the licenses and hardware is bought. Back then the Dinan flash did have a full warranty though.
Well aware, I had a Stage 1/2 on a '15 X1 35i back in 2015, and it was 2K at the time. That extra $1500 or so was likely for the warranty; it didn't make JB4 power on the N55, but it was "worry free" and definitely made a significant difference; there was no buyer's remorse. The Dinan Sport has no warranty, however the Elite piggyback does have it. But that's again only for the older B48. Which is why I got interested in the first place when people started experimenting with the Sport.

The point is, no one's actually made a solution, piggy-back or otherwise, as yet for sale in the US for the X2 M35i specifically. It's been at best, from what I've seen, mainly vendors going with a "let's try and see what happens ", Dinan included. The only one close is RaceChip, but again it's only marketed for the 1/2 Series M35i and everyone here who's contacted them has gotten one of a variety of answers about it working on the X2 M35i, myself included.

I'm still tempted to try RaceChip for posterity's sake, but only when(if) they actually include our vehicles to the USA site. Otherwise just waiting patiently for someone to bring something legit to market.
      09-28-2020, 05:25 AM   #140
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

racechip has our vehicle listed on their EU site but we'd run into mapping issues as the fuel is of higher quality there to meet stricter emissions standards, so essentially they'd be back to the drawing board to meet our much lower fuel octane levels.
      09-28-2020, 06:07 AM   #141
connerry330i
Private
Rep

Quote:
racechip has our vehicle listed on their EU site but we'd run into mapping issues as the fuel is of higher quality there to meet stricter emissions standards, so essentially they'd be back to the drawing board to meet our much lower fuel octane levels.
Exactly. That said, they do have the 2GC M35i listed on the US site, but when I asked if that would work they emailed me that the connecters might be different. Yet another board member shared they were told the X2 M35i would be up on the US site any day now, but that's been at least a week ago and still nothing as of this writing.

So it's on the shoulders of JB pioneers here till something else happens.
      09-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #142
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i wrote bms with a request to return the jb4 just in case...
      09-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #143
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerry340i View Post
Exactly. That said, they do have the 2GC M35i listed on the US site, but when I asked if that would work they emailed me that the connecters might be different. Yet another board member shared they were told the X2 M35i would be up on the US site any day now, but that's been at least a week ago and still nothing as of this writing.

So it's on the shoulders of JB pioneers here till something else happens.
You'll run into the exact issues I had with the TDI-Tuning box. Unless this is developed/maintained/tested with all logging and/or physical facilities in the USA - you're gonna be stuck. And I've seen too many YouTube videos about RaceChip Customer Service issues.

JB4 is the only choice that can do everything at this point (fortunately or unfortunately).

Update here: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post26738547

Last edited by xcelir8bmw; 09-28-2020 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:05 PM   #144
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you want steering wheel controls, there's a plug that goes from the tuning box to your OBDII port.. whether or not it corrects any readings I'll have to do some poking around if I remember on Tuesday when I go to work.. I'll have to see what combo I can go about, since I don't want to try to bring multiple devices to read at the same time, although that would be the best way to compare readings at the same instant.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #145
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i wrote bms with a request to return the jb4 just in case...
looks like i'm keeping it then...
      09-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #146
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

So did anyone actually install the wastegate connector? I know terry was looking for log with that installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #147
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
So did anyone actually install the wastegate connector? I know terry was looking for log with that installed.
Does the JBS come with a sensor cable attached already or for this?

Heck, what sensors does it tap for our vehicle?

I'm waiting to get mine on Wednesday. Then I'll probably install.

I just don't have pictures or install instructions to know what is what at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:33 AM   #148
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
Does the JBS come with a sensor cable attached already or for this?

Heck, what sensors does it tap for our vehicle?

I'm waiting to get mine on Wednesday. Then I'll probably install.

I just don't have pictures or install instructions to know what is what at this point.
it does not come with a sensor cable attachment for this. howeeever, the wireless unit that plugs into the jb4 i guess can plug into additional things, like, for instance, the wire that you can alternatively run through the cabin to plug into the obdii port that rice_rocket88 was talking about. but the wastegate is not mentioned at all in the install guide - you'll just be dealing with routing the cable through the firewall should you wish OR attaching the wireless unit to the jb4. also, curiously, you don't really have much in the way of an installation instructions, so i had to rely a lot on pictures here taken and posted within this thread.

it's good that you've bought ever other unit in existence for this motor, so you know where the sensors already are lol
      09-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #149
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Hey BlownLSX, I appreciate the help trying to get to that damned wastegate connector.. but I gave up. I still couldn't get the "C" clip completely off in order to get the intake pipe out. I managed to get it about halfway and it hit the engine bay and I did a little wiggling, but the clip was not out enough. I'm done with trying to get it off.. so if someone wants a discount I'll mail you mine

xcelir8bmw:

Follow my pictures.. if you got the TDI thing installed, you're more than good to go. Here's my new info that you've been waiting for: The car itself still sees 22.5psi today as a max boost. So the good thing is that the JB4 will display the corrected boost if you're connecting it. I am using the Data cable because I just like.. cables vs bluetooth (and cost). With the data cable I did find out that you did indeed need the obdii connector installed to the car in order for it to read things like RPM and IAT. I just noticed it on the way to work that it was blanked out and I checked my JB4 logs and EVERYTHING was missing other than boost. When I parked I just unplugged my wireless OBDII reader ... nothing. Plugged in the JB4 OBDII harness and all the other readings came to life. I am wondering now that other than the steering wheel controls you will need this to log those functions (I'm not sure how/if just the bluetooth connection will read those functions without that cable attached).

So.. if you want to log, JB4 can do it.. no need for all the boost taps. But without a JB4 reading you will be stuck with what the car "sees" which will be max boost around 22.5psi. Also to note on idle it was -1.6 bar, and 0.6 psi. Somewhere along the line when it goes into positive it'll just be a PSI reading.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #150
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Side note.. I was putting around my parking garage with both maps 6 (custom) and the map 2. I logged just those driving along and no full throttle runs just to see if Terry@BMS will be able to tell me why map2 drives so much more aggressive than map6. The best of both worlds would be to get it to be merged into one... and perhaps you can do without the pedal box for throttle. I didn't bother messing around with that since it is apparent to me that map2 drives more aggressive just for daily driving and not a lot of boost.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #151
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Hey BlownLSX, I appreciate the help trying to get to that damned wastegate connector.. but I gave up. I still couldn't get the "C" clip completely off in order to get the intake pipe out. I managed to get it about halfway and it hit the engine bay and I did a little wiggling, but the clip was not out enough. I'm done with trying to get it off.. so if someone wants a discount I'll mail you mine

xcelir8bmw:

Follow my pictures.. if you got the TDI thing installed, you're more than good to go. Here's my new info that you've been waiting for: The car itself still sees 22.5psi today as a max boost. So the good thing is that the JB4 will display the corrected boost if you're connecting it. I am using the Data cable because I just like.. cables vs bluetooth (and cost). With the data cable I did find out that you did indeed need the obdii connector installed to the car in order for it to read things like RPM and IAT. I just noticed it on the way to work that it was blanked out and I checked my JB4 logs and EVERYTHING was missing other than boost. When I parked I just unplugged my wireless OBDII reader ... nothing. Plugged in the JB4 OBDII harness and all the other readings came to life. I am wondering now that other than the steering wheel controls you will need this to log those functions (I'm not sure how/if just the bluetooth connection will read those functions without that cable attached).

So.. if you want to log, JB4 can do it.. no need for all the boost taps. But without a JB4 reading you will be stuck with what the car "sees" which will be max boost around 22.5psi. Also to note on idle it was -1.6 bar, and 0.6 psi. Somewhere along the line when it goes into positive it'll just be a PSI reading.
You don't take the c clip off lol it just comes out say 1/4-1/2inch and the pipe comes up.....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #152
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I know.. but even with the angle I got the C clamp out, it didn't fully come out of the groove, so the intake was still locked in. It's more like i couldn't get it out straight, but rather crooked and it was wedged by the engine bay so I couldn't really straighten it out more. It's in such a horrible place... after that I would have had to get some acrobatics to get to that wastegate next..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #153
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

xcelir8bmw:

Thanks for all that info. Interesting to understand how the JB4 reads info. The TDI is tapping the RPM sensor as well as both MAP and TMAP sensors, 3 total.

The JB4 reads MAP and TMAP, but what other sensor that comes with the unit? (not through OBDII).

Good to know about the OBDII. That kinda/sorta sux. I have the BT, so we'll see what that can do.

My plan is to install the boost gauge project (other thread) this Friday night/Saturday and see how the TDI responds and then plan on swapping out with the JB4. I figure with the addition of an actual vacuum boost gauge, that should help dramatically in other toolsets across systems.

We'll see....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #154
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know.. but even with the angle I got the C clamp out, it didn't fully come out of the groove, so the intake was still locked in. It's more like i couldn't get it out straight, but rather crooked and it was wedged by the engine bay so I couldn't really straighten it out more. It's in such a horrible place... after that I would have had to get some acrobatics to get to that wastegate next..
pictures of location? not acrobatics.
Appreciate 0