BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i

09-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #111
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
i think out of the options available for this engine variant, the jb4 is the best of the bunch.

it's not perfect, but it does make a considerable difference in the drivability and liveliness of the car.
It is all about maps and tuning. An artform....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #112
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
It is all about maps and tuning. An artform....
exactly, and again, as i mentioned previously, of the companies that have products available for this engine variant, bms seems to be the one to go with if you want some semblance of functionality out of the product.
      09-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #113
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I think bm3 is going to be the only “complete “ solution if they ever put one out.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #114
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I think bm3 is going to be the only “complete “ solution if they ever put one out.

What's that - I mean, specifically?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #115
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

That's a full flash tune..bootmod3. they haven't unlocked the b48 DME and I had been following them for a couple of years. I'm sure we're the last on the list as they concentrate on the M cars and Bigger engines. Already again as mentioned people with cars that go in and have their software updated when unaware at bmw and the same gets locked down and no more flash tuning available.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #116
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Ahhh, got it. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #117
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
They have a b48 tune, just not a fwd one.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #118
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

the thing with flash tuning is that if something goes wrong during the warranty period you're more than likely to have voided your warranty as it's going to pop up immediately when the bmw dealership tech plugs into the obdii port.

if out of warranty that'd be great OR if it had proven reliable in different applications, but we'd be the guinea pigs and i wouldn't want to be a guinea pig with this engine in this car that's brand new, so piggyback tuning it is and really i'm satisfied. i know some aren't, but i haven't had any problems with the jb4 unit on map2 - map1 was problematic, but map2 is very nice.
      09-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #119
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
Really, you're already guinnea pigging. And an ecu tune "should" be safer.

I've only got another year so maybe something will pop up.

With BM3 you can flash back to stock (debate whether or not it's detectable).

Is it possible to show what the logs look like from JB4?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #120
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i don't log anything. i just wanted something that i could plug into the car and gain increased performance and that's what i got. i'm satisfied.

like another member posted, i don't have time to log and send in to BMS and even if i did, i'm not that kind of enthusiast who is dedicated enough to do so. safe, reproducible and noticeable responsiveness is good enough for me and the butt dyno definitely approves.

i don't think that flash tuning would be any safer in this application right now with this motor variant. i think that the bms unit with its built-in failsafes are pretty damn safe.
      09-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #121
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
They have a b48 tune, just not a fwd one.
I got curious again when you made that statement and I went to the website to check.. the tune is listed for a lot of b48 cars, but none of the X1 or X2 period. I would also think that because of this, if you did a complete flash tune you would completely mess up the X2 M35i as it already has a much different baseline and boost than any of the other b48's. I am, however, very surprised the X1 is not on the list especially with all the F and G chassis vehicles (including the 330i which really should be the same as the X1).

As for logs.. if you want to see any of my WOT logs I can dig around and email them to you. Screen shots are a little big harder to decipher but if there is something you'd like to see I can try my best to get one done.

I am going to do some "regular" logs in the map2 vs map 1 and/or map 6 since Terry@Burger said he can look at them to see why map2 may seem more "driveable". He didn't confirm or deny that the difference in Map1/Map2 was only boost. I am not going to do WOT runs, but some more tame stop/go accelleration.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #122
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm with Davy Jordi , I'm in the process for the 'plug and play' and good enough without having to continually log, blah blah blah - despite me doing so. I'm doing this for the greater good of the community at this point and am pretty satisfied now that TDI has truly explained that they are tuning for high octane in the UK, and just need to adjust to USA standards. I'm sure those over the Pond would have to do the same thing with JB4 and USA standards in reverse.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #123
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i haven't checked yet. i drove the car to the ppf shop this morning and dropped it off. i'll pick it up tomorrow mid-morning and perhaps see what numbers the car is giving me through the infotainment screen as well as through the jb4 app. i don't have an obdii reader other than some cheap wireless unit that i only use to connect bimmercode with. although, yeah, clearly the car is going to tell you that the boost is lower than what it actually is because that's how the jb4 unit works... the jb4 unit is doing the fuel:air ratio thinking while the car is fooled into lower than actual figures. of course the jb4 has a failsafe threshold built in so you don't ruin your engine.

butt dyno is strong, for sure.
Still looking for ficticious OBDII boost numbers. I have a cheap VEAPEAK OBDII BT for Bimmercode that works well with OBDFUSION on IOS.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #124
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

For those who have the JB4 and Bluetooth/Application installed and using it, is there a need to connect anything in from the unit in the engine bay to the OBDII port? And if so - for what reason?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #125
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

There you go.

I just purchased the JB4 with BT module. And just bought the App.

Dinan=RIP
TDI-Tuning=RIP

JB4=Check that box!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #126
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Quote:
the thing with flash tuning is that if something goes wrong during the warranty period you're more than likely to have voided your warranty as it's going to pop up immediately when the bmw dealership tech plugs into the obdii port.

if out of warranty that'd be great OR if it had proven reliable in different applications, but we'd be the guinea pigs and i wouldn't want to be a guinea pig with this engine in this car that's brand new, so piggyback tuning it is and really i'm satisfied. i know some aren't, but i haven't had any problems with the jb4 unit on map2 - map1 was problematic, but map2 is very nice.
I can offer you this, I've had 6 brand new turbocharged cars since 2005: 3 GTI's, a Golf R's and 2 BMW's (see sig) before this X2. All but the 340 were ECU flash tuned, Stage 1, completely trouble free. (The 340 had Dinan Shockware suspension tune.) I went with Dinan for the Bimmers because of their warranty; more expensive, sure, but worth the peace of mind.

Honestly though, I probably didn't need it. Nowadays having something go wrong with a tested tune from a reputable firm is incredibly rare, unless the driver does something really stupid. I'd probably go with Dinan again simply because many BMW dealerships are also Dinan dealers. If you tell them ahead of time and they have to factory flash your car they'll reflash the Dinan tune for you.

Funny enough, the V-Dubs were all done by APR, who now owns Dinan, and now offers an APR product with a matching manufacturer warranty coverage as well.
      09-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #127
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerry340i View Post
I can offer you this, I've had 6 brand new turbocharged cars since 2005: 3 GTI's, a Golf R's and 2 BMW's (see sig) before this X2. All but the 340 were ECU flash tuned, Stage 1, completely trouble free. (The 340 had Dinan Shockware suspension tune.) I went with Dinan for the Bimmers because of their warranty; more expensive, sure, but worth the peace of mind.

Honestly though, I probably didn't need it. Nowadays having something go wrong with a tested tune from a reputable firm is incredibly rare, unless the driver does something really stupid. I'd probably go with Dinan again simply because many BMW dealerships are also Dinan dealers. If you tell them ahead of time and they have to factory flash your car they'll reflash the Dinan tune for you.

Funny enough, the V-Dubs were all done by APR, who now owns Dinan, and now offers an APR product with a matching manufacturer warranty coverage as well.
i mean, this is a moot point anyhow because there doesn't exist a flash tune by a reputable company that we are discussing because this engine variant of the b48 frame is so rare and niche.

so we are left with half-assed piggyback units and some are better than others. it appears that a lot of work has been put into the european one that xcelir8bmw purchased but it's been made for european commonly available fuel which is of a much higher quality than our's -- our fuel isn't cheap for no reason.

anyhow, the bms unit is pretty good for what it is in this application. have i used better units? yeah, for sure, but is this unit better than stock? yeah, for sure.

as to your question, xcelir8bmw , no you don't have to route any cords into the cabin if you purchase the bluetooth unit, which you did. they initially sent me the incorrect bluetooth unit, so if they send you over a bluetooth unit with a power cord and a wiretapper enclosed, it's not the one for our car.
      09-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #128
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Quote:
i mean, this is a moot point anyhow because there doesn't exist a flash tune by a reputable company that we are discussing because this engine variant of the b48 frame is so rare and niche.
That's the thing though, I wouldn't say it's rare, since it's in 3 M Performance BMWs and 3 JCW MINIs. I'd argue there's definitely a market for something better than a plug-in for sure. It's just how much is actually left in the B48 to make it worthwhile AND safe.

That plus I'd bet we even see this B48 pop up as base engines in the 3/4/X3's as part of their respective LCI's in the next couple of years.
      09-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #129
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the support.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #130
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the thing though, I wouldn't say it's rare, since it's in 3 M Performance BMWs and 3 JCW MINIs. I'd argue there's definitely a market for something better than a plug-in for sure. It's just how much is actually left in the B48 to make it worthwhile AND safe.

That plus I'd bet we even see this B48 pop up as base engines in the 3/4/X3's as part of their respective LCI's in the next couple of years.
but is it the exact same engine variant? i was told by my local bmw dealership that this particular variant of the b48 engine was bespoke to the m35i which i don't quite believe but i still think it's rather low volume.

i do think that this exact engine is used in the m-performance 1 series in europe, and perhaps it's used in the mini jcw gp, right? those are the only applications that i can think of. the mini jcw gp is a low-volume seller, and i don't know how well the m-performance version of the 1 series sells.
      09-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #131
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

but is it the exact same engine variant? i was told by my local bmw dealership that this particular variant of the b48 engine was bespoke to the m35i which i don't quite believe but i still think it's rather low volume.

i do think that this exact engine is used in the m-performance 1 series in europe, and perhaps it's used in the mini jcw gp, right? those are the only applications that i can think of. the mini jcw gp is a low-volume seller, and i don't know how well the m-performance version of the 1 series sells.
you are spot on
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 01:22 PM   #132
Rosa's keeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevy Bolt, X2 M35i

our engine is also in the jcw countryman and jcw clubman...and the m235 gc
Appreciate 0