BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i

10-03-2020, 11:19 PM   #265
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Now I want to Dyno.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:12 AM   #266
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

thanks for the shout out, rice_rocket88 you'll get there, i promise. my car's running great, although admittedly i have a lower tolerance for what is considered great than you do as i don't come from background that's heavy in tuning.

that said, you're on the right path in using map 2, i think, and you should be good to go with working with that map instead of the custom map -- it's just trying to capture some of that magic when v 18 of the firmware wasn't running and when the unit wasn't plugged into the obdii port that was fantastic, butttt it managed to shoot all the way up to 33+psi for you and likely for me as well, so i'm not about to burst something; the car's longevity is of utmost importance.

you're the true pioneer and innovator here.
      10-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #267
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Good morning everybody.

I talked with Terry in 2019, last year, when I bought my car because my dealership surprisingly was pro-JB4. At the time, I didn't pull the trigger, because from what I can tell nobody else had worked with the JB4 and this vehicle.

Fast forward to this year, probably - what, a month ago by now re-visiting the forums thinking 'it was time' and did stumble across this thread and others.

I figured one person tried it, and another, and another, and I thought 'well, shit - I guess it's time to figure out this tuning stuff' and come out of hibernation from working on cars again.

Therefore, I just wanted to give a shout out to the rice_rocket88 , Davy Jordi , and BlownLSX for pushing me over the edge for the community.

Looking back at yesterday and the JB4 install as well as my own testing pre posting anything to the boards or Emailing Terry. I sure as shit was able to tune the system base use of the tools and troubleshooting of 'failsafe' boost PSI numbers. And come to find out, I was right, and there may be room from 28-30.

Today I will take a drive, but in reflection, I'm quite happy that the JB4 system in it's entirety checks all the boxes.

Thanks everyone! Have a great rest of the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #268
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Hi all.

I drove the car today. Mostly on highway. About 20 miles.
  1. Map 2, 30 Safety
  2. No failsafe happened
  3. Predictable results
  4. Koso Boost Gauge never went past 30 (28.5)
  5. Very much like a 'stock' feeling, RPM wise, as if I didn't have a tune
  6. There definitely was power boost for sure
  7. My logging matched my experience
  8. Fastest that I had ever driven in a straight line
  9. Another project complete!

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #269
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Have you done a 0-60 with dragy
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #270
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

that's great to hear xcelir8bmw -- i am going to up the max boost from 27 to 28 (maybe 29) and leave it there and see what happens. i'm not driving the car a whole lot right now because a ton of people are still working from home and i'm one of them, so the car is brought out just to either get groceries or to take it on the highway or the backroads when they're not jam-packed for fun.
      10-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #271
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I had a bunch of time to goof off today and I still managed to peg the failsafe. Temps were lower today (64F) but I started off with both custom map 6 and the map2. 28 pegged it, 29 pegged it, and 30 pegs it. During local roads it's only possible if I just floor it, but that's... not really going to happen unless you decide to be a stoplight drag racer. I could do it if I was in manual mode, 2nd gear and about 20-50 just laying it down WOT. I am going to leave it with the failsafe of 30 and I do like map2 for sure.

I emailed the maps to Terry for him to go over. I'll try to take a snapshot of the map2 at 30 so you can see how it compares to excelir8bmw's map2.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #272
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

I have an extended Map 2 30 that I can provide/uploaded-emailed through App to Terry. Didn't Email him because I had no issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #273
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Terry got back to me quickly and he mentioned I hit lean condition, not Boost limit. I'll have to get to my computer and load up these maps to see if I can make better sense of it. Guess those colder temps are making the turbo.. thirsty and efficient.. lol.

I did make a quick run of map 0 thankfully and I'm sending it to him to look at.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #274
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Lean condition usually means more air and not enough fuel, right? Air Intake Maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #275
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Just emailed Terry to ask him his opinion about 5 PSI verus the 4 PSI in map 2.

The reason I asked is that I truly, now belive, my mode 7 on the TDI was 5 PSI - based on further driving around and talking to KOSO who makes the boost gauge - which it's numbers do match the JB4 phone readout.

And 5 PSI was very delicious, not just sure 'how safe'.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #276
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
What I'm curious about is why rice is seeing lean conditions and you other guys aren't.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #277
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I am wondering now the same as billnchristy.. Sure I have the intake which may suck in more air. But.. I ran logs Friday vs today and although I didn't have everything back to normal on Friday my AFR was around 15. Today it hit pretty extreme maybe up to 18 which is not great now that I'm looking at the logs.

I do not and will not profess how much I know on this BMW or tuning. "Back in the day" you would use a wideband O2 sensor and try to aim for 14:1 ratio and anything lower was rich.. anything higher is not good. That would be 14 parts air to 1 part gas ratio. So if I'm seeing 18 parts air, one part gas ... then I need more gas! It could mean to me that the gas is a bad batch.. or I've maxed out my fuel pump.. or it's just not adding enough somehow. I saw every iteration of 15 on the logs since day 1 so I assumed that was "normal". Now that Terry pointed it out when I emailed him while I was on the road.. I'm loading up these logs on the computer and I see it now which makes me a little uneasy and questioning "why?"

Now for sure there was a temperature drop of maybe 10F which is pretty significant. Temperature drops are awesome for turbo cars.. air is colder, it's more dense, so you get more boost. Fuel burns better, timing etc should all be improved. I expected maybe to see more boost today, but nowhere would I have expected fuel to run lean.

I also inspected my air filter for any holes or loose connections with nothing to be found.

My plan is really just to drive this around more.. run the gas tank down. If the temp rises a bit more, I'll just give it a few more pushes to see if my AFR is going to go back down. If it stays cold, well I'll see about a new tank of gas and try again.

I don't know if Terry will have more suggestions.. maybe Fuel-it! will come back into the thread and offer any other advice. We'll see how this pans out. I'm still not crazy worried, but it will certainly make me think twice about flogging the daylights out of my car when it's cold for now until I see something change. Failsafes are still there and working, so that's comforting to know
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #278
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Terry says don't do 5 PSI.

Rice - put your airbox back on and see if it goes away.

Also, don't forget, the ECU takes a few cycles to 'refresh' any changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #279
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
Terry says don't do 5 PSI.

Rice - put your airbox back on and see if it goes away.

Also, don't forget, the ECU takes a few cycles to 'refresh' any changes.
Terry agreed with my suggestion to just let it ride for now, try it out if temps rise, and get more gas. He did not say anything about putting the stock box on. In May when I was running maps he saw zero change with the intake on or off on the map6.

What do you mean by the ECU refreshing changes? JB4 itself is acting right away. Are you referring to me putting the stock box back on?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #280
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Two things:

a) Put the stock box back on - just to see if anything happens.

b) The ECU will react to sensors, albeit to JB4 sandwich or direct - so I've learned that a couple of cycles (at least with the JB4 and TDI) will adjust. Usually a few driving sessions.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #281
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

wait, hold on - don't do 5psi meaning don't raise it to 30 or don't raise the limit past 30? i'm at 29psi as my set max.

or am i misunderstanding completely because that's what i tend to do with the jb4 unit...?
      10-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #282
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
wait, hold on - don't do 5psi meaning don't raise it to 30 or don't raise the limit past 30? i'm at 29psi as my set max.

or am i misunderstanding completely because that's what i tend to do with the jb4 unit...?
The map 2 is designed around 4 PSI.

Someone would have to create a new map for 5 PSI, just like map 3 is 6 psi.

STAND DOWN.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #283
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

oh, okay. got it.
      10-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #284
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
I’d try 3 gallons of e85. We might be low on fuel pump, Don’t think it’s the injectors, since like I said, they are used on the x5/6m.

So, high pressure pump is same as the straight 6 cars. The in-tank pump is same as 28i so probably is pushed to the limit.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #285
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Interesting info on the parts, thanks for checking that out. I'm surprised, however, that even in plain stock tune I would be able to lean it out.. that doesn't seem right unless BMW didn't do enough testing in cooler air. I wouldn't even call 64F cold air at all! The next thing to wonder.. if it really is a question of fuel delivery, then do you start looking at stronger fuel pumps only? I would hope that the fuel senders aren't completely different among models.. but 4 cylinder wise ours puts out the most power, it might not be the same as 6 cyl gas tanks. If the injectors are the same as the X5/6M then other than the fuel in/return line possibly being smaller (using the X1 platform) then it would be the fuel pump maxing out.

Today is supposed to get warmer maybe by noon.. not sure if I have time to check it out more.

I'm not going to swap the stock box in just yet. I'd rather not put in another variable since I plan on keeping that intake snorkel installed... I'm going to keep my eye on it/log and then wait until I get a full new tank of gas just to double check. I actually have 94 available in some gas stations, but I'm going to stick with the 93 since that's what I routinely get from the same gas station. Just for some more posterity, I am going to go to a different gas station that is a "top tier" my regular gas station keeps changing ownership, so it is possible that they got "bad gas" in the tanks and I just so happened to get a tank of it (but not bad enough to exhibit problems when it was warmer last week).
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #286
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Interesting info on the parts, thanks for checking that out. I'm surprised, however, that even in plain stock tune I would be able to lean it out.. that doesn't seem right unless BMW didn't do enough testing in cooler air. I wouldn't even call 64F cold air at all! The next thing to wonder.. if it really is a question of fuel delivery, then do you start looking at stronger fuel pumps only? I would hope that the fuel senders aren't completely different among models.. but 4 cylinder wise ours puts out the most power, it might not be the same as 6 cyl gas tanks. If the injectors are the same as the X5/6M then other than the fuel in/return line possibly being smaller (using the X1 platform) then it would be the fuel pump maxing out.

Today is supposed to get warmer maybe by noon.. not sure if I have time to check it out more.

I'm not going to swap the stock box in just yet. I'd rather not put in another variable since I plan on keeping that intake snorkel installed... I'm going to keep my eye on it/log and then wait until I get a full new tank of gas just to double check. I actually have 94 available in some gas stations, but I'm going to stick with the 93 since that's what I routinely get from the same gas station. Just for some more posterity, I am going to go to a different gas station that is a "top tier" my regular gas station keeps changing ownership, so it is possible that they got "bad gas" in the tanks and I just so happened to get a tank of it (but not bad enough to exhibit problems when it was warmer last week).
In the m235i our low pressure pump is only shared in the f40 f54 and f54 lci.
Appreciate 0