BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Key West

04-25-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Key West

So heading to Key West. Been dying to get there since moving here 8 yrs ago. Taking Key West Express so give me all I need to know without driving from the mainland.
4 days
Not into diving/snorkeling

Where do i need to eat?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 08:17 AM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

We haven’t been there in a while but have never thought of Key West as a culinary destination so no real food recommendations.

As far as activities, I’d say fishing (charter boat) would be high on my list. I caught a nice sailfish there many years ago. Otherwise, outside of diving / snorkeling, it is mostly a hang out, relax and drink kind of place. If you rent a bike or scooter, watch out for cars especially at night. Also, sunset is a big deal there. Have fun.
Tommy-G4490.50
      04-26-2023, 09:42 AM   #3
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
When I went there as a kid in the 1970's, the joke of a public beach was all coral and no sand (bring hard-soled swimming shoes to even walk *to* the water). I tried snorkeling at said beach, but left the water in less than a minute after going nose-to-nose with a barracuda in ~5 feet of water. The daily sunset celebration and associated street carnival freak show seemed to have been the only thing to do there for non-drinkers back then.

I also drove down there with a friend on a day trip when we were in Florida around 1990. We were there for two hours, took a few 35mm film pictures at the US-1 mile marker zero and 90 miles to Cuba rock, and headed north to get out of the keys before sunset.

I cringe when seeing that Key West is now a cruise ship port of call, because I don't remember the island being large enough to handle 4,500+ passengers for a day when one of those mega-floating shopping malls docks for a port call.....
      04-26-2023, 09:42 AM   #4
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
From what I recall - Sloppy Joe's was one of the main places to eat. Believe this is the place that Hemmingway frequented.

I was there middle of the pandemic...and was shut down at the time. Wife and I did the Stoned Crab one night...wasn't too shabby.

There's a beach on the next island up, it's better than anything at the base.
      04-26-2023, 09:49 AM   #5
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Key West is a party destination, not a beach destination. Just stroll Duval Street. Sloppy Joes is a must do just for the experience. There were plenty of small restaurants on Duval with some pretty good local fish and stuff but I haven't been there in over 30 years.

Enjoy!
vreihen1615271.00
      04-26-2023, 10:21 AM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Haven't been in forever either. However as others have mentioned no real beaches. The times we have been we have rented a boat or jetskis. I remember they had a jetski tour that was pretty cool. They take you around and show you stuff like some area that use to be for military ships or submarines or something like that.

Other things to do off the top of my head would be the Hemingway house and also take the ferry to Dry Tortugas National Park.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      04-26-2023, 10:25 AM   #7
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Watch-out for the roaming chickens and the Motocops in their crisp white shirts and no sense of humor.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4490.50
vreihen1615271.00
      04-26-2023, 10:25 AM   #8
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Def knew it is not a beach destination but I have some of the nicest beach in the country 10 miles away.
Just looking for a fun getaway for some shopping, eating, drinking.
Booked a sweet hotel right on the South West end of town on the water so we should have a great vantage for sunsets.

I thought I remember some TV shows like Diner, Dives, or Food Paradise doing some tours. Ill have to turn to the Googler for that I guess.

Thought about Dry Tortugas but heard its like hours to get out there and then nothing really but the fort.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 10:34 AM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Watch-out for the roaming chickens and the Motocops in their crisp white shirts and no sense of humor.
Pffft. Reminds me of this one time I went down there. This was probably like 15 years ago or so. Me and the gf decided to go down there one day (lived in Miami at the time). Didn't plan it just got in the car and started driving. On the way down get stopped by the biggest asshole cop I have ever encountered. This was late at night, not a single person on the road except this cop. The guy kept saying why I had such and attitude or something. Anyone that knows me would know that is total bs. I didn't even say a word other than answer whatever he asked.

Anyways after getting the ticket we get to Key West and every single hotel is booked. Apparently it was some kind of holiday and we didn't realize it. So we have nowhere to stay and it's late so we really can't even just spend the day. Basically we ended up driving all the way back home. So spent all night driving back and forth and all I had to show for it was a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 10:42 AM   #10
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Anything on the water, the water is usually amazing. I prefer not going all the way to KW tho.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 10:48 AM   #11
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I've been there a few times recently, last time was Nov 2022. It was stop on our cruise and it was more than enough time for us to spend the day there with the kids. Not much to do except get henna tattoos, drink, drink, eat, drink. Since my wife and I don't drink and don't care for tattoos, there isn't much to do otherwise.

The drive can be a PITA if there's a crash that shuts down US1.
Tommy-G4490.50
      04-26-2023, 11:40 AM   #12
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Echoing what others have already said. Great for fishing, great for drinking, probably some great restaurants I'm not aware of. It is fun to be at the southern most part of the country. My parents just got back from visiting a friend of theirs who lives here: https://www.oceanreef.com/

Did a quick search, they have a "Santiago's Bodega" there. There is another one here where I live, always busy, always high quality, I would go there. Great place to take the missus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 01:52 PM   #13
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I prefer not going all the way to KW tho.
My wife won't go if we drive. She hates the seats in my BMW and wont put the miles on her X3 so only way to go is the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post

The drive can be a PITA if there's a crash that shuts down US1.
I just wanted to do the drive with the top down once and see everything. Its almost too hot now but I would love to experience all the bridges and views

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post

Did a quick search, they have a "Santiago's Bodega" there. There is another one here where I live, always busy, always high quality, I would go there. Great place to take the missus.
Place looks great, I saved it in my YELP list...thanks! Saved the Orlando location too!
Appreciate 2
DocL1930.00
      04-26-2023, 02:22 PM   #14
Dan W
Longtime Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

A casual place on Duval Street is Fogarty's Restaurant and the Flying Monkeys Saloon. There's a large outdoor covered dining area. We were just there last on spring break last month and can recommend it (we were staying in Marathon, but took a day trip drive to Key West).
      04-26-2023, 03:22 PM   #15
Fixedfan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91, 97 Miata

Went for a day in 2021 while visiting Bahia Honda.
Mr.Z's Pizza was excellent. Cash only.

Seaside Cafe at the Mansion was really good as well.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      04-28-2023, 09:52 AM   #16
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
So heading to Key West. Been dying to get there since moving here 8 yrs ago. Taking Key West Express so give me all I need to know without driving from the mainland.
4 days
Not into diving/snorkeling

Where do i need to eat?
I partially grew up in the Key's and continue to visit Key West (and others) annually. Let me dig up a post I shared that has recommendations....
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      04-28-2023, 09:53 AM   #17
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

There are tons of boat charters down there and we’ve been on a number of them, but these two have been on the repeat list for us.
- Fury Cat – they do a variety of charter types, from half day, full day, snorkel, scuba, kayak, etc. They have a sunset catamaran tour with a live band and all you can drink which is a lot of fun. www.furycat.com
- Danger Charters – Pricey, but their sunset cruise is the best in Key West. They take you out on small, shallow draft sailboats and can go places some of the larger ships can’t. They also do a great eco-tour (both full and half day, I think) where they can get into the back country mangroves.

Bars/restaurants – there are a TON of places to eat and drink down there. You’ll find most of the chain restaurants along Duval. Some of the fun bars are along Duval as well.
- The Conch Shack: This is right on Duval next to the Hog’s Breath Saloon. It’s a walk up/carry out place but they have the BEST conch fritters on the island. They also do a good lobster roll, but the fritters are worth a visit.
- Garbo’s Grill: My absolute favorite place to eat down there. It’s casual and a perfect lunch spot. Their grilled fish tacos are amazing.
- Blue Heaven: Great atmosphere for breakfast/brunch. They have a large back patio area that has live music most of the time during the day. Great bloody mary here.
- Latitudes: This is the fanciest/nicest restaurant in Key West. The thing is, it’s actually not on Key West but on an island called Sunset Key which is to the north and west of Key West, although, it’s a 3 minute ferry ride across the water. You’ll need reservations and on short notice I’m not sure what they have open but if you want great food, great views (overlooks the ocean) this is probably the best spot to do it. Very romantic as Anna has pointed out before.
- Green Parrot Bar: I’ve never eaten here, but its my favorite bar to go to for the atmosphere. Lots of live music, it’s off of Duval (aka, not packed with tourists) and the drinks are solid.
- Dante’s Key West Pool Bar: Another good spot for day drinking by a pool. Food is fine but we go there for the drinks and atmosphere.
- Southernmost Beach Café: Good breakfast spot right on the southernmost beach. It’s on the quiet side of Duval and close to the famous Southernmost Buoy.
- Cuban Coffee Queen: Best place for hangover cup of coffee and something to eat. Great for lunch, too.
- Lagerheads Beach Bar: This is on the north end of the island, and is kind of hidden by a parking lot but it’s a nice, quiet beach between two of the larger properties. It also has a walk up bar which is nice.
- First Flight Island Restaurant & Brewery: This is a cool restaurant located in an old PanAm booking office. Great outdoor patio under big banyon trees, they brew their own beer and the food is a solid step up on bar food that you may get at a typical brewery.
- Fausto’s: This is a grocery store about two blocks off of Duval. It’s good for grabbing whatever you may have forgotten at home lol. Also a Walgreens on Duval, but Fausto’s has a lot more options beyond what walgreens does.

Another fun thing to do down there is go to the Ernest Hemingway House. They have tours throughout the day and great tour guides. It’s been a while since we’ve done it, but there is one tour guide named Boston Bob who is well known for giving good/hilarious tours.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      04-30-2023, 10:15 PM   #18
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW E92 M3

I have found that people say "I'm going to Key West" when they just mean the Florida Keys and vice versa.

Key West isn't where you really want to be with a family. It is sort of bar city at least one half the island (obviously over estimating), the rest is the people that live there and have normal stores/jobs, and like 3-4 beaches.

The rest of the Florida Key islands are the beautiful island experiences people want to have and like others have said.

Key Largo is the first key you will come across and it is the most commercial. Like if Myrtle Beach was a key in Florida, but between Key West and Key Largo, all those other keys are the ones you actually want to say at.

Like many have said even if I give you the best island to stay at, the most fun and beautiful experiences are on the water. Proof:

vreihen1615271.00
      05-01-2023, 12:52 PM   #19
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Lord View Post
I have found that people say "I'm going to Key West" when they just mean the Florida Keys and vice versa.

Key West isn't where you really want to be with a family. It is sort of bar city at least one half the island (obviously over estimating), the rest is the people that live there and have normal stores/jobs, and like 3-4 beaches.

The rest of the Florida Key islands are the beautiful island experiences people want to have and like others have said.

Key Largo is the first key you will come across and it is the most commercial. Like if Myrtle Beach was a key in Florida, but between Key West and Key Largo, all those other keys are the ones you actually want to say at.

Like many have said even if I give you the best island to stay at, the most fun and beautiful experiences are on the water. Proof:
No family here, its just the wife and I. We are more in for food, libations and just a getaway. I have been bugging her to go to the Keys for 8 yrs since we moved to Florida but she doesnt want to drive 7 hours from Sarasota. So instead we are going to spend 7 hours traveling via the Key West express. In her mind that will be much more comfortable than my car.....

Thanks for the videos. If I was driving we may do things differently or a different island but we are doing the tourist thing and going to Key West only.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:31 PM   #20
Autoregression
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Great food, great view. Make a reservation that overlaps sunset.

Louie's Backyard
Appreciate 3
      05-01-2023, 03:33 PM   #21
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoregression View Post
Great food, great view. Make a reservation that overlaps sunset.

Louie's Backyard
I used to go there 25+ years ago. Actually, had a timeshare right next door. I haven't been back to KW in many years but it was one of the best.
      05-08-2023, 12:01 PM   #22
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. We had an absolute blast. Some things I would def do different and I am struggling big time at work today so I'm going home soon.

Ill post some pics tomorrow if anyone cares
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615271.00
DocL1930.00