BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Disable key - relay theft

01-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
mr2essions
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X2 M Sport

Disable key - relay theft

Hi guys, what with the rose of relay car theft due to wireless key fobs can the BMW fob be disabled when you have done for the day? I know you can buy lined pouches to put them in but I know I'll forget etc. I've heard some companies have a function to say hold two buttons and the fob disables making it harder for the thieves.

Cheers

Scott
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Never heard of that option for the BMW key.. I usually throw my key(s) in a bin when I get home.. buying a nice big shielded box might be the answer..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

The answer is if it's really an issue in one's area, there have been a lot of proof of concepts but the real world just doesn't seem so far to be affected the way the FUD mongers are claiming.

If someone were truly paranoid they would have to have a lined pouch to carry their fob in only taking it out when using it in the car, but even then you have the potential of signal interception. The only question is which transmitting schema BMW uses and if you're comfortable with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
mr2essions
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers guys. I work in motor claims
For an insurer and we are seeing relay theft on the rise ha I want to make sure I'm not part of those statistics. Ive ordered two lined pouches for the house we shall see if that helps ha. Cheers again for re replies, it's appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2essions View Post
For an insurer and we are seeing relay theft on the rise ha I want to make sure I'm not part of those statistics. Ive ordered two lined pouches for the house we shall see if that helps ha. Cheers again for re replies, it's appreciated
Do you think the house is where they will be cloning the fobs? I don't unless you have a teenager

The issue is in the street and if you're using the fob to unlock the car and have it in the open to start the car before then putting it back in the pouch for your drive you're still at risk at that time using it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
mr2essions
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2essions View Post
Do you think the house is where they will be cloning the fobs? I don't unless you have a teenager

The issue is in the street and if you're using the fob to unlock the car and have it in the open to start the car before then putting it back in the pouch for your drive you're still at risk at that time using it.
Hey that's not quite what's happening. I'm talking about when your asleep etc. So you work your car in your drive way. Your key is far enough away from the car but maybe close enough to get close the key IE behind my front door. They then stand near your house the iPad / tablet then relays the signal
To the car bridging the gap and wallah they are gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Make a tin foil hat for your fob.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
mr2essions
United Kingdom
Rep