BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Strip off PPF from my X1 Good or bad idea?

05-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e AWD SUV

Garage List
Strip off PPF from my X1 Good or bad idea?

Hi all,

Now that summer is here, I want my X1 to look at nice as possible. Despite all my washing and waxing though, I find that the PPF that came installed with the car is looking rather nasty around the edges. The edges are dirty and short of cutting the dirty glued edges off, I don't know what else to do.

I have been talking to a few of my auto friends. Some are saying that PPF is really only necessary if you plan to keep the car for an extended period.

I am just leasing the BMW, and my lease ends in 2022. I am considering stripping of the PPF and just going naked. However, part of me is concerned.

I went today Calgary BMW and looked at some of the 2018/2019 used models, and the majority of them don't even have PPF. I don't see any rock chips at all.

I dunno what to do. Any thoughts on removing the PPF and going naked?

Welcome everyones thoughts!
Derek
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

From your description of the PPE failing and fact that it's a lease, I strip it off. But, I'm about 1.5 years into ownership with 36k miles and I've gotten quite a few rock chips on the hood and some on the doors too. Compared to my other non-BMW cars, I've noticed the paint on X1 chips fairly easily.

I've had to paint correct about 20 to 30 tiny rock chips on my hood alone, and about 5 to 7 on the doors. If I didnt buy my car, I probably would've left them as is.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 10:14 PM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

My thoughts are... you live in Calgary and you don't know what's going to happen to your paint? If you take off the PPF the front is going to look like swiss cheese! Okay, so here's another question.. the car "came with PPF" what does that mean? Do you have a warranty? Mine sure does. Now the other question is.. if it's installed and it's a lease, then you'll be responsible to put it back on after when you turn it in! I'd certainly try to figure out the situation with the PPF and warranty. I, for one, would also make sure what those terms of lease return is. Also, if there are enough rock chips will you be liable for it in terms of repair? Often there is a buffer for forgiveness on those chips, so if all of the above means it doesn't matter, then take it off. The thing is, if you're into washing and waxing your car, it'll break your heart to see the amount of damage the front end will get.

And for those of you who don't live in Alberta.. they use plenty of gravel and stones for the winter, not just salt like plenty of the states do.... so in addition to the regular highway/road debris, winter is total hell.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

I've had PPF on every new car going back to 2003 and wouldn't even consider going without it, even on a lease. It works extremely well and cars are so easily damaged by road debris. You didn't say where your X1 has the film, and you didn't say where you've noticed dirty edges, what they look like, or how large they are, so it's hard to determine how serious it is or what the cause and remedy would be.

Generally, the film edges can get dirty in two ways: you can get a buildup of wax or a similar product at the edges of the film; or, in places where the film hasn't adhered properly (often at sharp corners or in curved areas where the installer has tried to bend it too much), it can lift and create a spot where dirt and water can get underneath and cause it to look grubby.

If it's the former issue, you can fairly easily remove the excess wax to clean things up; if the latter, having the odd one of those spots isn't abnormal after an install, and the installer can address them, which usually involves cleanly cutting them out since they're typically small. However, if there are large areas where the film has lifted, that indicates a sloppy install and it really should be replaced. If that's what's happened to yours, I'd be going back to the dealer to discuss.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hi all,

I found a local guy here in Calgary that said he can do it for a good price. I need to have it as these Calgary roads are brutal.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hi all,

I'd like to re-open this thread. My 'guy' is still going to charge me $250 to strip off and replace the existing PFF.

I looked at the PPF on the fenders / mirrors, and it looks decent. All that really needs to get replaced is the 24" on the hood.

Is this something that I could do myself? Get a 'kit' off Ebay, and just strip the PPF off myself and put on a new one? It's just the hood, nothing else.

Is there a risk of damaging the paint? There should be no edges or corners, so it should be straight forward.
Appreciate 0