05-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #45
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
My 2p regarding the M-Sport brakes: they're on the front axle; if at all possible, you should avoid fitting the space saver to a front axle because of the size and weight bearing discrepancy, which creates safety issues. That means if you can, you would jack the car up, fit the space saver to the back, then replace the (flat) front wheel/tyre with the rear wheel/tyre
I think its more the case that the spacesaver would foul the larger Msport caliper and make a mess.
      05-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #46
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
I think its more the case that the spacesaver would foul the larger Msport caliper and make a mess.
Yes. As stated previously the same applies to other BMW's not just the X1.
From what I had gleaned on other forums (I cannot confirm as I have no experience of it), the space saver would not fit over the caliper or would be so tight that it would foul the rim.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 03:20 AM   #47
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Yes. As stated previously the same applies to other BMW's not just the X1.
From what I had gleaned on other forums (I cannot confirm as I have no experience of it), the space saver would not fit over the caliper or would be so tight that it would foul the rim.
I have a spacesaver for my X1 25i xDrive (28i in US). It fits over the front (non-M-Sport) caliper, but I would prefer to adopt the rear only fitment strategy, if at all possible
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 04:10 AM   #48
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have a space saver for my X1 25i xDrive (28i in US). It fits over the front (non-M-Sport) caliper,
As stated previously, it is designed for the non-M Sport vehicles. See previous posts.
Quote:
but I would prefer to adopt the rear only fitment strategy, if at all possible
The space saver would fit any of your axles. Front or back. If I understand your question/statement, you could if you had a puncture on a front wheel, swap a rear wheel to the front and put the space saver on the rear. Given that the X1 xdrive is predominantly a front-wheel-drive vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 03:04 AM   #49
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have a space saver for my X1 25i xDrive (28i in US). It fits over the front (non-M-Sport) caliper,
As stated previously, it is designed for the non-M Sport vehicles. See previous posts.
Quote:
but I would prefer to adopt the rear only fitment strategy, if at all possible
The space saver would fit any of your axles. Front or back. If I understand your question/statement, you could if you had a puncture on a front wheel, swap a rear wheel to the front and put the space saver on the rear. Given that the X1 xdrive is predominantly a front-wheel-drive vehicle.
It may not have been clear, but the point I was making in the above and previous posts is that even if you have M-Sport brakes on the X1, a spacesaver wheel/tyre is nevertheless useful especially when you consider that it is good practice to avoid fitting the spacesaver to the front axle; rather, you should first replace the (non-punctured) rear wheel with the spacesaver, and then fit the good rear wheel to replace the punctured front one.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 05:55 AM   #50
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It may not have been clear, but the point I was making in the above and previous posts is that even if you have M-Sport brakes on the X1, a spacesaver wheel/tyre is nevertheless useful especially when you consider that it is good practice to avoid fitting the spacesaver to the front axle; rather, you should first replace the (non-punctured) rear wheel with the spacesaver, and then fit the good rear wheel to replace the punctured front one.
I am not so sure you about this, but my jury stays out until proven otherwise visually. Have you got the Space Saver and done what you are saying above? If so I defer to your superior knowledge and experience.
Be advised, BMW UK will not allow anyone to purchase through the BMW UK configurator on the new 2020 X1 xDrive 2.0i M Sport the space saver wheel as an option on a new build if the M Sport brakes are specified.
As soon as the M Sport Plus package is selected in the configurator the space saver wheel option is deselected. Surely if what you say is correct then the option would be allowed (it is only £150) and a warning given that the space saver could only be fitted the rear wheels.
How do I know this! Well, I have just ordered a new 2020 X1 xDrive 2.0i M Sport and have paid the deposit and have ordered the Space Saver wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:16 AM   #51
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am not so sure you about this, but my jury stays out until proven otherwise visually. Have you got the Space Saver and done what you are saying above? If so I defer to your superior knowledge and experience.
Be advised, BMW UK will not allow anyone to purchase through the BMW UK configurator on the new 2020 X1 xDrive 2.0i M Sport the space saver wheel as an option on a new build if the M Sport brakes are specified.
As soon as the M Sport Plus package is selected in the configurator the space saver wheel option is deselected. Surely if what you say is correct then the option would be allowed (it is only £150) and a warning given that the space saver could only be fitted the rear wheels.
How do I know this! Well, I have just ordered a new 2020 X1 xDrive 2.0i M Sport and have paid the deposit and have ordered the Space Saver wheel.
Unless there's been a specification change, the problem is (and always has been) the dimensions of the front MSport caliper, which fouls the spacesaver. The rear is (or was — pls advise) OK. I imagine BMW UK do not think it is worthwhile explaining the workaround to customers. And — even though it is good practice from a safety perspective — it IS a hassle, all the more so on a cold, dark wet night 😱 (that's when you think to yourself that runflats are actually a brilliant idea — or have an aerosol sealant system on hand. Yes, I have one of those and hope never to use it)😉
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:28 AM   #52
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Unless there's been a specification change, the problem is (and always has been) the dimensions of the front MSport caliper, which fouls the spacesaver.
Yes, that is the case with most other series BMWs. It may be that the M Sport brakes are larger on the rear on the F48. Remember the xDrive system is predominantly Front-wheel drive on X1, so this may have necessitated the change.

Last edited by Peter_R; 05-17-2020 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0