BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition The Running Thread

02-20-2020, 12:45 AM   #67
trabucoyucoo3
Registered
Rep
Drives: GT Mustang 448

That's right haha, indeed i'm running at least 7-8 miles more often than last years. I don't know y'all but I think this years started rude but with good vibes to achive new goals
      02-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #68
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
I did some interval work as well today, slow 1 mile warm up into 5 x 1 Mile repeats on a 2 Minute Rest between splits. Maintained a great low heart rate and was able to be back to 115bpm in the 2 Minute Rest. Coupled the 1 Mile repeats into faster splits peaking around 5:30 pace. Love when tons of hard training pays off.
Nice, good job!
      02-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #69
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I *THINK* I'm cruizing along, possibly on a record pace for 5K. RunKeeper keeps telling me I'm at 5:30 or less at each .5K

I get home and I'm 2 minutes over, and my splits show 6:12, 6:28, . . . WTF!!!!

This short steps thing is still messing with me. EVERYTHING is off. Arm swing, breathing, time. To take those shorter steps, my hands are clenched and pulled up to almost my neck. Used to be in a very comfortable "Strand-y run" with loose hands and bent below 90 at the elbow.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #70
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I *THINK* I'm cruizing along, possibly on a record pace for 5K. RunKeeper keeps telling me I'm at 5:30 or less at each .5K

I get home and I'm 2 minutes over, and my splits show 6:12, 6:28, . . . WTF!!!!

This short steps thing is still messing with me. EVERYTHING is off. Arm swing, breathing, time. To take those shorter steps, my hands are clenched and pulled up to almost my neck. Used to be in a very comfortable "Strand-y run" with loose hands and bent below 90 at the elbow.
Every runner is a little different it’s just body layout, flexibility etc. Don’t think about your stride length, just think more about what is comfortable for you. If your cadence is in the 180 range you are fine. Over thinking your stride length is just going to mess with your natural stride. Stride and step count is going to change as you speed increases it’s just normal. How your foot makes contact with the ground is much more important than stride length. Also running with run keeper is never going to get you as good of data say as a Garmin or a Polar watch will. If you are truly getting into running and competition I would invest in a garmin. It changes not only my view of how I plan my training but but tells me when I need some rest days or am ready to hit it again. What is your weekly mileage currently and what is your current 5k PR and what is your goal time?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #71
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I run once or twice a week. I'm 53. Way back when I ran 22:12. December I ran 29:28. Have training runs in 28:50 range since I started quicker (read shorter) steps

Corporate games in May is like to get to 27 something. BIGGEST obstacle to that is the extra 20 around my waist
      02-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #72
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
New high score for me for a month: 105.6 miles! ��

That's the same app I use for running -- love it. Just found this thread...so, I am 57 yrs old retired Army so running is in my DNA. Run 3 miles every Tue and Thurs and a 10 miler every Saturdays. Have been doing that for a long time. Thank God, knees and other parts are hanging in there with me.

Last edited by MADBMWX5MC; 02-21-2020 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17874.00
cotmfk2023.50
      02-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #73
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX3 View Post
That's the same app I use for running -- love it. Just found this thread...so, I am 57 yrs old retired Army so running is in my DNA. Run 3 miles every Tue and Thurs and a 10 miler every Saturdays. Have been doing that for a long time. Thank God, knees and other parts are hanging in there with me.
Nice job, and thank you for your service!

I truly believe the saying "object in motion stays in motion." So, yes, there is wear and tear and there are injuries, but I think most people would be better off by having a regular exercise routine (like you are doing).
      02-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #74
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I run once or twice a week. I'm 53. Way back when I ran 22:12. December I ran 29:28. Have training runs in 28:50 range since I started quicker (read shorter) steps

Corporate games in May is like to get to 27 something. BIGGEST obstacle to that is the extra 20 around my waist

My wife always tells me you are 2 seconds faster per mile for each pound you lose. I have weight to lose, but not sure how dedicated I am to doing so.

It's awesome you are working on getting faster. What is "Corporate games in May?"
      02-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #75
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My wife always tells me you are 2 seconds faster per mile for each pound you lose. I have weight to lose, but not sure how dedicated I am to doing so.

It's awesome you are working on getting faster. What is "Corporate games in May?"
I, too, am addicted to good food. I run/lift just to stay level

Corporate games, a bunch of the various corporations in the county compete against each other in all sorts of events. Softball, volleyball, soccer, 5K, darts, horse shoes, Monopoly. Supposed to promote teamwork or something. I signed up for at least 7 events so far, but can't remember all of them. Where are my pants??!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #76
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I, too, am addicted to good food. I run/lift just to stay level

Corporate games, a bunch of the various corporations in the county compete against each other in all sorts of events. Softball, volleyball, soccer, 5K, darts, horse shoes, Monopoly. Supposed to promote teamwork or something. I signed up for at least 7 events so far, but can't remember all of them. Where are my pants??!!!!!!!

Ah ok, I thought it might be something like that. Enjoy and good luck!
      02-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #77
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

New high score two months in a row!
Attached Images

02-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #78
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
New high score two months in a row!
Very nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #79
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep

I got in 78 miles this week. Training has been going great and hoping to break the sub 1:15 half marathon this year.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      03-02-2020, 07:40 AM   #80
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I got in 78 miles this week. Training has been going great and hoping to break the sub 1:15 half marathon this year.
That's a lot of miles in a week!

If you finish the half in 1:15, I'll still be running for almost 30 more minutes.
      03-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #81
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's a lot of miles in a week!

If you finish the half in 1:15, I'll still be running for almost 30 more minutes.
Really appreciate the support! We all start some where though. Running is such a long term game and balance of training, recovery and nutrition. It’s a pretty crazy story, but I will keep it short. Couple years ago I was 30lbs over weight and said....screw this I hated how I looked. Started running and changed everything in terms of sleep and nutrition literally overnight. Within 6 months I qualified for the Boston Marathon and have been getting faster as the months go by. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter the time you finish unless your trying to place, which is a whole different kind of training to place in races. It takes a lot of courage to commit to the training and I give props to anyone that lines up for any race whether it be a 5k or a Marathon regardless of there time. If your lining up for half marathon that’s half the battle and should be proud of that no matter the time. Cheers to your training and good luck with any future races you have!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #82
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I'm only going 5K

Friday night I had my first soccer game of the season. I thought I felt good, foot was healthy, lungs worked well, made quite a few sprints the full length of the fields.

Then Saturday morning arrived, and I could barely walk. Plantar faceitis is a BITCH! Monday morning, wore my boot as much as possible all weekend, and am pretty sure I'm NOT running this week. I just hope to walk without a limp.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #83
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

Then Saturday morning arrived, and I could barely walk. Plantar faceitis is a BITCH! Monday morning, wore my boot as much as possible all weekend, and am pretty sure I'm NOT running this week. I just hope to walk without a limp.
I can't believe how debilitating PF can be. It drove me crazy marathon training, so much pain, trying a billion insoles, couldn't wear certain shoes, etc.

I've managed to overcome it, knock on wood, but it took awhile.
      03-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #84
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
I can't believe how debilitating PF can be. It drove me crazy marathon training, so much pain, trying a billion insoles, couldn't wear certain shoes, etc.

I've managed to overcome it, knock on wood, but it took awhile.
One mis conception about PF is chasing the solve through shoes. This is typically related to a muscle imbalance which is usually from weaker hips, glutes and calves. Weight Training and bands is one of the best thing you can do. Landing also plays a huge role in injuries. Walk on a treadmill or in you house barefoot and focus on how you land. You will always come down on your heal. Now do the same thing but run barefoot. You will naturally come up higher on the ball of your foot but will almost never let your heel slam when your barefoot. Thats the landing you want to have with shoes. Focus on landing and strength training and I'm sure you will both beat it for good. Cheers Gents!
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      03-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #85
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
One mis conception about PF is chasing the solve through shoes. This is typically related to a muscle imbalance which is usually from weaker hips, glutes and calves. Weight Training and bands is one of the best thing you can do. Landing also plays a huge role in injuries. Walk on a treadmill or in you house barefoot and focus on how you land. You will always come down on your heal. Now do the same thing but run barefoot. You will naturally come up higher on the ball of your foot but will almost never let your heel slam when your barefoot. Thats the landing you want to have with shoes. Focus on landing and strength training and I'm sure you will both beat it for good. Cheers Gents!
This is so dead on! I should have went into more detail, but there is a good amount of peripheral work I do to strengthen areas I had no idea had an impact on my whole chain now. I regularly do my easy running drills and workouts without shoes, probably the best thing I've done to help.

I haven't been this injury free in quite some time being diligent with the supporting work.
      03-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #86
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

"flat" running isn't my issue. It's the stop/start/change in direction related to soccer that kills me. I know this too because it originally developed when I was an Assistant Ref, running up/down the sidelines. No angled changes in direction, just sudden start/stop. I've struggled with it for YEARS now.
The outside of my calf on that foot is unusually sore, along with the PF. Not sure if because of over-compensation to relieve pain, of symptomatic as described above.

Went to an ortho, he said there is a surgery but said HE wouldn't do it on me, I'd have to go somewhere else. Not that he didn't want my insurance $$, he didn't think it was of any use.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #87
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearningirish View Post
I have a question. Is running effective than walking when you are trying to lose weight?
It is effective but will never provide the same calorie burn as running. Being active though is what matters just walking and moving kick starts the metabolism and promotes the burning of fats. Walking just doesnt elevate the heart rate as high so will always have less calorie burn. At the end of the day. Eating clean, walking and providing a slight calorie deficit through being active is the key to losing weight and take your time losing it. Remember that 3500 calories equals a pound lost. So based on a 2,000 calorie a day diet it may take a couple weeks or couple months to lose your goal weight but do it slowly.

Running burns for the average person about 100 calories a mile, slightly more based on weight though. So in a 5 mile run most people burn 500 calories. But as your cardio improves and your rest heart rate begins to drop that burn drops with it. Like for me I only burn 50 - 70 calories per mile but thats because I run 60-70 miles a week, very low resting heart and light weight. Sorry for the long reasoning, but I hope it helps give a little insight.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #88
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

IF you have the time, walking can be every bit as effective, like mentioned above. 500 calories is 500 calories, whether you walked or ran. Now, does walking get you the same residual results of building lean muscle and extending that calorie burn, I can't say.

As is recently evident, walking could be MORE beneficial in the long run, if you avoid injury and stay on track more consistently.

Dang, I'm not sure I DRIVE 70 miles a week
Appreciate 1