BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) What does Sport Mode Actually Achieve?

02-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
West17th
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

What does Sport Mode Actually Achieve?

I found the X2 handbook is very vague on what the Sport Mode actually does. It defines it as sporty steering and transmission.

That's very vague - sporty steering to me is sharper turn-in, a more sensitivity & feel, often but not necessarily more weight. Since it has EPAS I'm assuming it's going to be some sort of heavier (artificial) weight and nothing more?

As for transmission... I know it's not an M3 but I'd like to at least know what it does for shift patterns. I see it hangs on to the gear longer but what else? Does it change throttle mapping for something more aggressive as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Tighter steering, higher rpm shifts, sharper throttle response, depending on car May open second exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
West17th
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Tighter steering, higher rpm shifts, sharper throttle response, depending on car May open second exhaust.
Ah thanks, it's a US-spec xDrive28i so the exhaust may have a flap, although I'd hope not as it's terribly boy-racer childish to me trying to make more noise for the sake of it.

What's your definition of "tighter steering" does it change the valving and response curve, or just make it heavier. If it's the latter then it's of zero value, if it's the former then great.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

If you have adaptive dampers it also stiffens the suspension.
      02-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #5
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

As the previous posters said above.

But with adaptive dampers you can choose to link them to sport mode or not. I used to drive my X2 20i on Sport mode almost all the time, but would have the settings as "Drivetrain Only", rather than "Drivetrain and Chassis".

Although....somehow I still felt that including 'Chassis'in Sport mode improved the actual throttle response slightly (even more than just Drivetrain only). It shouldn't, but I sensed it did

Curious if anyone else had that sensation?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Non-M x2 here, with dynamic suspension option.
I have a mountain-based trip I do once a year that I loved carving up with my Focus ST then RS and they were always sure footed and I felt in control.

When I took my first trip this past holiday season through them I still had it in eco mode from the highway section before and I was aghast, it felt like I'd forgotten how to drive, and had no idea how I could safely make the trip, I was missing my entry, felt like I was over-driving it while under the speed limit, then it dawned on me and I flipper to comfort mode, 50% better, but I still didn't feel in control, then to Sport mode, and was amazing, I felt in control, the car felt solid, sure footed, not quite up to RS performance, but pretty close in handling.

So count me in as impressed with how dramatically the 3 modes can perform in different scenarios.
Appreciate 0