BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Transmission Error

08-13-2021, 02:41 AM   #177
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

Guys, my spring just broke after 54k miles 😒 Anyone in UK who would be willing to help me fix it? Im quite brave but this seems a step too far for me. Plus have no tools for coding if required
Im based in London but willing to travel. Please help
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 04:12 AM   #178
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

noone? :
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 04:21 AM   #179
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

bump, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 04:42 AM   #180
TygerBright
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d Sport

Damn! My X1 Sport 2016 started showing the transmission error this week.

Booked with the dealers for investigation and will see what they say. I took the basic Driveline warranty which covers gearbox … so hope I’m covered if they suggest replacing the shifter.

Last edited by TygerBright; 09-07-2021 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 04:57 AM   #181
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBright View Post
Damn! My X1 Sport 2016 started showing the transmission error this week.

Booked with the dealers for investigation and will see what they say. I took the basic Driveline warranty which covers gearbox … so hope I’m covered if they suggest replacing the shifter.
I would have thought so! Please keep us all updated.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 10:57 AM   #182
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

guys, the repaired spring in the video link shows the spring in a 180 degrees position.
In the pdf guide on this thread it says the spring needs to be past 1i0 degrees.

Can someone please clarify? Im doin mine this saturday. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 03:33 AM   #183
jamessfarnell
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 SDrive18D 2020

Its been 18 months since I made the first post - and I am very glad to see that this is helping F48 (Aisin Gearbox) users around the globe!
The video shared by Danny Runghen is perfect - I am sure they used the guide too!
Keep well all!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #184
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Happy to report that I fixed my spring!

Two big obstacles...the idrive connector is evil!!! super soft plastic and tight like a m*f*ker!! Nearly gave up at that stage as I was damaging the soft plastic to and was worried to break it completely.
Second are the screws on the passenger side of the mid console. Seemingly easy. There is just no space because of the seat.

Anyway thanks for this thread, I wouldnt be able to do it without! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #185
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

here she is
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:59 PM   #186
COUWK
The BMW Life
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 535d xDrive (e36,e46,f48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessfarnell View Post
How to fix this issue, guide attached.

Good luck.
Great writeup. Has not happened on my f48 yet, but i will be prepared in case it does.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #187
Brewstation
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

No luck

I followed the guide and the YouTube video on this topic. I ordered a new spring in the hopes that it would solve the problem long term. The old spring was .43mm and the new spring was .48mm. I doubt that's enough to keep it from breaking in the future, but it's what I had. It looks like there is room for a spring up to about .8mm thick.

Anyway, I still have the error message. I cleared it using my OBD reader and the error came right back.

I figured why not tear it all apart again? Took it down to the spring, and yep, it looks like it's working. Reassembled everything and STILL have the error even after clearing the errors.

The "up" side is that the second time only took me 2 hours to tear down and reassemble the second time. First time was about 4 hours if you include the time for cleaning coffee stains and such.

Any thoughts on a next step?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #188
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewstation View Post
I followed the guide and the YouTube video on this topic. I ordered a new spring in the hopes that it would solve the problem long term. The old spring was .43mm and the new spring was .48mm. I doubt that's enough to keep it from breaking in the future, but it's what I had. It looks like there is room for a spring up to about .8mm thick.

Anyway, I still have the error message. I cleared it using my OBD reader and the error came right back.

I figured why not tear it all apart again? Took it down to the spring, and yep, it looks like it's working. Reassembled everything and STILL have the error even after clearing the errors.

The "up" side is that the second time only took me 2 hours to tear down and reassemble the second time. First time was about 4 hours if you include the time for cleaning coffee stains and such.

Any thoughts on a next step?
I did this last saturday using the old spring and Im good, no errors. No coding necessary.
My guess is that you made a mistake in the shift selector. Are you able to use all gears incl. manual?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #189
Brewstation
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinco000 View Post
I did this last saturday using the old spring and Im good, no errors. No coding necessary.
My guess is that you made a mistake in the shift selector. Are you able to use all gears incl. manual?
Great question! I went and rechecked each. The car reports each gear and is actually in those gears.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #190
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Great question! I went and rechecked each. The car reports each gear and is actually in those gears.
Its the gear selector then. Must have made a mistake unfortunately. Pls note that the spring has to push down all the time the magnetic side, unless in parking. You tried the spring inside before assembly of the shifter?
Sorry to hear its not working for you but Im sure you will succeed!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:08 PM   #191
Brewstation
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Its the gear selector then. Must have made a mistake unfortunately. Pls note that the spring has to push down all the time the magnetic side, unless in parking. You tried the spring inside before assembly of the shifter?
Sorry to hear its not working for you but Im sure you will succeed!
Looking more closely, it seems like the shaft isn't being held down well on the side where the circuit board is. There may be just enough play that the arm isn't hitting its full potential through the range. It does move up and down, but it's not super snappy. I'm putting the old spring in to see if it's a spring metal difference. When I slide the tray back and forth, it sure seems like that arm is moving over the sensor on the board, but so far the result has been poor. I'll throw it together and see what happens...

Thanks for your time!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:27 PM   #192
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

take your time with it and it will be good
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #193
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Well done pinco000!! Mission accomplished!

Quote:
Happy to report that I fixed my spring!

Two big obstacles...the idrive connector is evil!!! super soft plastic and tight like a m*f*ker!! Nearly gave up at that stage as I was damaging the soft plastic to and was worried to break it completely.
Second are the screws on the passenger side of the mid console. Seemingly easy. There is just no space because of the seat.

Anyway thanks for this thread, I wouldnt be able to do it without! Thanks
pinco000158.50
      09-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #194
Brewstation
Registered
Rep

Update...
On the third tear down I decided to install the old spring as others have here. I couldn't tell much difference looking at them but I made a few observations. The metal shaft isn't held in well on the circuit board side. It will click into place on the other side but just mush into place on the circuit board side. I think this may be causing the shaft to lift a little when the spring is tense and limiting the range of the arm. I've become quite proficient at this process and have disassembly down under an hour and assembly just over 90 minutes. It's not that bad of a process, so don't fear it.

With the old spring installed the system seems to be working correctly. I think my new spring is not quite like the old and adding to the issue above, it just wont work. I'm happy to see the old spring work, but I think with the next failure I'll just order a new shifter.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 03:25 AM   #195
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Update...
On the third tear down I decided to install the old spring as others have here. I couldn't tell much difference looking at them but I made a few observations. The metal shaft isn't held in well on the circuit board side. It will click into place on the other side but just mush into place on the circuit board side. I think this may be causing the shaft to lift a little when the spring is tense and limiting the range of the arm. I've become quite proficient at this process and have disassembly down under an hour and assembly just over 90 minutes. It's not that bad of a process, so don't fear it.

With the old spring installed the system seems to be working correctly. I think my new spring is not quite like the old and adding to the issue above, it just wont work. I'm happy to see the old spring work, but I think with the next failure I'll just order a new shifter.
congrats mate!!

I think it wont break anytime soon as the spring doesnt have as much tension as before. The original shape of the spring was different to the one when put back.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 05:23 AM   #196
TygerBright
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Unbelievable but just had a call from BMW and it's NOT covered by Driveline warranty.

The dealer is now trying to negotiate some goodwill from BMW and will advise. I've explained based on this thread that this is a common issue and he also admitted he's seen this before. Also advised him it's most likely the spring contact that is broken.

Meanwhile he's quoted me 195 GBP for diagnostic carried out so far ... and 1600 GBP for the replacement of the shifter unit ... yes, you read that right - 1600!

I will hear back from him later today but I'm in a foul mood right now to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 05:31 AM   #197
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBright View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Unbelievable but just had a call from BMW and it's NOT covered by Driveline warranty.

The dealer is now trying to negotiate some goodwill from BMW and will advise. I've explained based on this thread that this is a common issue and he also admitted he's seen this before. Also advised him it's most likely the spring contact that is broken.

Meanwhile he's quoted me 195 GBP for diagnostic carried out so far ... and 1600 GBP for the replacement of the shifter unit ... yes, you read that right - 1600!

I will hear back from him later today but I'm in a foul mood right now to say the least.
dont pay them a penny. I know of a guy here in London qouted with goodwill in excess of £800! You can fix this, just take your time.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #198
TygerBright
Private
Rep

Quote:
dont pay them a penny. I know of a guy here in London qouted with goodwill in excess of £800! You can fix this, just take your time.
I think so also ...

wish I never took it in to them now but they wouldn't confirm anything till they did diagnostics - which I guess I will have to pay for regardless.

Really disappointing service from BMW over what seems to be a common issue.

Last edited by TygerBright; 09-16-2021 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0