BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW X1 F48 2BA100 Diesel particulate sensor: Electrically faulty

03-01-2024, 05:50 AM   #1
zeljko2
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 18d F48 4.2019.

BMW X1 F48 2BA100 Diesel particulate sensor: Electrically faulty

Greeting.
I own a BMW X1 F48 4/2019. year 18d B47B. with which I did 46,000 km.
So far I have had changes to the DPF filter sensor and now the same failure has occurred again with the same error.
Error recorded on Biemerlink diagnostics: 2BA100 Diesel particulate sensor: Electrically faulty (Exhaust-gas sensors / sensor for NOX, Part number: 13628596295).
They told me at the service center that my driving regime with short distances was to blame. I consider this not an acceptable explanation because I know a lot of people with different brands of cars who also do low kilometers and do not have such problems.
Does anyone have an opinion on why this is happening and what could be the cause?
I thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by zeljko2; 03-10-2024 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 06:43 AM   #2
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
it is partly true, if you drive a lot’s of short distances it is not good for the DPF. The DPF regenerates if you have longer trips on the motorway (atleast 30min drive after the motor has come to temperature)

However this error is the electronics not the DPF itself but it could be a relation if the DPF is full What does BimmeLink say about the DPF? Try to force regenerate with BimmerLink when you are driving a longer trip.
Then drive 1 gear lower then you would normally do and/or use sport mode for that.

Sadly but true, people buy diesel cars for the wrong reasons. With all the environmental requirements Diesel engines have become more complicated, DPF is one part of that and it is known that DPFs don’t like short trips.
Only drive short trips? Don’t buy a diesel, it will NOT be cheaper in the end. diesels also have a slower warm up, that was even before the whole DPF was a thing and that is also the reason why diesel need longer trip/ otherwise you get more carbon build up in the engine. Same applies to the DPF, it needs good temperature to burn clean!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 07:35 AM   #3
zeljko2
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 18d F48 4.2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
it is partly true, if you drive a lot’s of short distances it is not good for the DPF. The DPF regenerates if you have longer trips on the motorway (atleast 30min drive after the motor has come to temperature)

However this error is the electronics not the DPF itself but it could be a relation if the DPF is full What does BimmeLink say about the DPF? Try to force regenerate with BimmerLink when you are driving a longer trip.
Then drive 1 gear lower then you would normally do and/or use sport mode for that.

Sadly but true, people buy diesel cars for the wrong reasons. With all the environmental requirements Diesel engines have become more complicated, DPF is one part of that and it is known that DPFs don’t like short trips.
Only drive short trips? Don’t buy a diesel, it will NOT be cheaper in the end. diesels also have a slower warm up, that was even before the whole DPF was a thing and that is also the reason why diesel need longer trip/ otherwise you get more carbon build up in the engine. Same applies to the DPF, it needs good temperature to burn clean!
Thank you for your reply.
I understand what you mean, but circumstances have changed.
My wife and I became pensioners in the meantime and we don't drive as much anymore. Now we use the car to go shopping.
I note, I know a lot of people who have a similar need for a car, but they don't have these problems. Now I understand why BMW gives a modest warranty of two years. That's because he doesn't trust his car to last 5 or more years without breaking down, as for example KIA gives a 7-year warranty.
Could it be a problem in the ECU, wiring, fuel? Should you use additives for the DPF filter like Datacol? What is the best additive?
Thank you.

Last edited by zeljko2; 03-10-2024 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 03:16 PM   #4
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Like advised, I would start with a forced regeneration.

If the problem continues to exist I would follow the error message which mentions,that the sensor is faulty electronically. Thus replace it, maybe with a used unit to save some costs. As this is not an error I have seen a lot so it maybe just bad luck, sometimes things break.

Personally I don’t believe in additives, more in short interval oil change, including gearbox and other maintenance. The default BMW 30k KM oil interval is waiting for the car to break after warranty. Almost all mechanics agree that 20k km is really the maximum interval you should do. Preferably 15k or even down to 10k, the 30k KM interval BMW uses is just ridiculous.

You mention that other people have the same needs and I can imagine to that, but are all those people driving diesel engines?
Your driving pattern changed, why not try to change your car? The X1 comes in both gasoline and diesel versions, what about switching to gasoline version of the car you have now? Maybe try to find similiar age, options and mileage?

I drive Diesel now because I drive 30k km a year, but before when I was doing lots of small trips I also managed to break a cheap car (Peugeot partner with 1.6 diesel engine) exactly due to too much small trips. So my advice, with nowadays diesel engines, get rid of it unless you are a match with the driving pattern that is required with modern day diesels. If not, gasoline engines are the better choice.

But my hunch is that you “just” have a faulty sensor. Given the error message.
Appreciate 0