BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Transmission mount “link” DIY?

11-03-2023, 09:56 AM   #1
Icycharizard
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Transmission mount “link” DIY?

Hi All,

Please see the picture below, engine-to-transmission “link” motor mount I’ve found sold online at only $60. I’m wanting to know if replacing this (2016 F48 107k) would help with vibrations when putting the car in reverse and just going over general pot holes (Seattle roads).

I’ve already replaced the front/top/passenger side motor mount and that helped a ton! I believe the lower engine mount that is in the front of the transmission/drivers side (under air box) appears to be ok. It’s not entirely clear that this lowest engine mount “link” is bad. It looks ok, but if I hit pot holes too hard, it’s very audible and obvious my engine gets tossed around like a kid in a jumping house. Is this how the car is? Or would replacing this mount help? I’ve heard if one motor mount was going bad, the others would soon follow. The top mount was changed at 85k

The link I am talking about is in the picture attached and sold here: https://www.bmwpartsdirect.com/oem-p...nk-22116885786
It connects the bottom of the engine to part of the transmission. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 10:40 AM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icycharizard View Post
Hi All,

Please see the picture below, engine-to-transmission “link” motor mount I’ve found sold online at only $60. I’m wanting to know if replacing this (2016 F48 107k) would help with vibrations when putting the car in reverse and just going over general pot holes (Seattle roads).

I’ve already replaced the front/top/passenger side motor mount and that helped a ton! I believe the lower engine mount that is in the front of the transmission/drivers side (under air box) appears to be ok. It’s not entirely clear that this lowest engine mount “link” is bad. It looks ok, but if I hit pot holes too hard, it’s very audible and obvious my engine gets tossed around like a kid in a jumping house. Is this how the car is? Or would replacing this mount help? I’ve heard if one motor mount was going bad, the others would soon follow. The top mount was changed at 85k

The link I am talking about is in the picture attached and sold here: https://www.bmwpartsdirect.com/oem-p...nk-22116885786
It connects the bottom of the engine to part of the transmission. Any thoughts?
Well, first of all, you shouldn't hit potholes too hard .

Jokes aside, if you never replaced the transmission support, you should do it ASAP. The part isn't expensive but could be a little hard to replace, considering you need to support the transmission and engine securely.

Talking about vibration when reverse, I saw some posts here about that, but I don't recall how they solved it. Try searching the forum.
      11-03-2023, 10:49 AM   #3
Icycharizard
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Haha, yes the Seattle streets are hilly/mountainous so they get pretty torn up and not replaced fast enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 10:58 AM   #4
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

That's one reason we never go into Seattle.

This is probably the easiest mount/brace to replace. Just remove the aeroshield under the engine and you have access to it.

Jack the vehicle up. Support safely with jackstands. Place a piece of wood on your jack and just support the engine/trans from the oil pan if needed (remember the engine is being supported by all of the above mounts). And remove and replace brace.

As to whether or not it will help with your issue I do not know the answer to that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0