BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) All Season non run flat tyres as an option on new build X1.

07-27-2020, 05:32 AM   #1
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

All Season non run flat tyres as an option on new build X1.

I see from the 2021 US pricing and options guide that US customers can order 18" wheels with 225/50 R18 W (99) NON-RUN FLAT ALL-SEASON TYRES.
Note, I am talking about NON-RUN FLAT ALL-SEASON (ALL WEATHER) TYRES only.
See image below.

As well as US customers, there may be other international customers who have the option also. I cannot check because I do not have their catalogue information.

What I am trying to ascertain is if anyone anywhere in the world has received a new build X1 or X2 factory order vehicle or in the past had one delivered with these tyres? Including the UK. If so, were they BMW * rated tyres or not?

My dealer says I cannot specify ALL-SEASON TYRES as non-run flats, because they are not a UK order option. I just have to accept what is being fitted (summer tyres) on the production line.

Please note. My order is standard 18" wheels and tyres with a space-saver. I do not wish to order RUN FLATS!

Edited.
My Questions!

1. Has anyone anywhere in the world other than the US received a new build X1 or X2 factory order vehicle, delivered with 18" 225/50 R18 W (99) ALL-SEASON non-run flats.

2. For US F48 X1 drivers only. If you had 18" 225/50 R18 W (99) ALL-SEASON non-run flats fitted to a newly supplied vehicle, who manufactured them? Michelin, Continental, Pirelli?

Many thanks.
Attached Images

2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-29-2020 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

You can't order non-RFTs in the X1 in Australia, either; actually, it was much more complex than it needed to be, simply to request 18" wheels/tyres instead of 19s for the 25i. As for choosing the tyre However, my dealer was very helpful in at least procuring the space-saver rim, when I pointed out the part number. The space saver kit was not an available option in Australia at the time, but it seems if something exists in the parts schedule, it can be obtained (the dealer even threw in the rim gratis as part of my purchase, which was decent)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
You can't order non-RFTs in the X1 in Australia, either;
ttimbo! Did you misunderstand my question?
In the UK we can order NON-RFT summer tyres on a new build. My question was being able to specify ALL-SEASON NON-RFT tyres on the vehicle as a factory fit option instead of the SUMMER NON-RFTs as they are able to do in the US.

What I am trying to avoid is having to accept the factory fit summer tyres and immediately replacing them with All season tyres after I have accepted the car.

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-27-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

I have 18” wheels with non run flat tyres as supplied any BMW. My local tyre supplier advises that I am unable to buy a cross climate tyre to fit that wheel. I have got 17” winter wheels with winter tyres and I can buy cross climate tyres for these.
Ironically, the car is significantly quieter on the winter tyres. When these wear out, I may we’ll go for cross climate and just stick with the 17” wheels and abandon the 18” wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
I have 18” wheels with non run flat tyres as supplied any BMW. My local tyre supplier advises that I am unable to buy a cross climate tyre to fit that wheel. I have got 17” winter wheels with winter tyres and I can buy cross climate tyres for these.
Ironically, the car is significantly quieter on the winter tyres. When these wear out, I may we’ll go for cross climate and just stick with the 17” wheels and abandon the 18” wheels.
Yes, I replied to you in another thread. Your dealer is not being economical with the truth! You can purchase cross climate/ all season non-runflats from Black Circles for 18" wheels. They can be found under 4 x 4 vehicles. Black Circles owned by Michelin.

See

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalog...xoCGcUQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-27-2020 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #6
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

All-season non-runflat tires are a factory option in Canada as well. There's no cost, but adding that option automatically adds the space-saver spare, which costs $300.

We chose our X1 off the lot and it has RFTs, but if we'd placed a factory order instead I'd definitely have gone with the non-RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
lilstevie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

Quote:
You can't order non-RFTs in the X1 in Australia, either
I can’t comment on pre-LCI but at least with the LCI this isn’t true, in fact it is the opposite, you cannot order an X1 in Australia with RFTs
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
Quote:
You can't order non-RFTs in the X1 in Australia, either
I can't comment on pre-LCI but at least with the LCI this isn't true, in fact it is the opposite, you cannot order an X1 in Australia with RFTs
That's good to know — a recent change, then?
Yes, ours is pre-LCI, so no option.

Does that mean BMW supplies a space-saver and jack with the LCI models? Or just a "mobility kit"?
EDIT: I see there's just a mobility kit. Nor is there any listed option now for 18" wheels — although I daresay you can work something out at the dealer level
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #9
lilstevie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

Quote:
That's good to know — a recent change, then?
Yes, ours is pre-LCI, so no option.

Does that mean BMW supplies a space-saver and jack with the LCI models? Or just a "mobility kit"?
EDIT: I see there's just a mobility kit. Nor is there any listed option now for 18" wheels — although I daresay you can work something out at the dealer level
Ours is a January build and its just the goo kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:13 AM   #10
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Yes, I replied to you in another thread. Your dealer is not being economical with the truth! You can purchase cross climate/ all season non-runflats from Black Circles for 18" wheels. They can be found under 4 x 4 vehicles. Black Circles owned by Michelin.

See

I spoke to Michelin in Stoke earlier this year and they were not available with BMW * marking unfortunatly.
I was/am looking for a set of All Weather tyres,Non RunonFlat,but failed to find any star marked.
Am not prepared to chance using non approved tyres on xDrive
The LA wheel Y-Spoke 566 (option 28C)will not take RunonFlat even if I wanted to go down that route. option 1XU will accept RunonFlat The wheels are different , very surprised when dealer pointed that out.
Bit reluctant to get another set of winter wheels as I am still trying to get rid of the sets off the Nissan QQ and the e84 X1

Last edited by Abh29; 07-28-2020 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:45 AM   #11
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh29 View Post
I spoke to Michelin in Stoke earlier this yeay and they were not available with BMW * marking unfortunatly. I was looking for a set of All Weather tyres
Yes. That is true. However, a local dealer (who has a tyre man in house) is looking into this for me. I will report back in this thread when I get an answer.
A lot of people do not realise that all the BMW * rating means is that they (BMW) have tested that tyre. If the tyre does not have the * rating it does not mean it is not suitable. In many cases Audi, Mercedes have tested the tyre and therefore it goes without saying if it is suitable for their vehicles then it meets very high standards.
Quote:
Am not prepared to chance using non approved tyres on xDrive
I presume (please correct if I am wrong), that you are reluctant to use non BMW * tyres because of bunching on the transmission with the Xdrive with rear-wheel-drive bias cars. With the new platform (front-wheel bias) then I am told this would not be of concern because of the way the transmission works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
All-season non-run-flat tires are a factory option in Canada as well. There's no cost, but adding that option automatically adds the space-saver spare, which costs $300.
In the UK we can specify the space saver at £150. It comes with the jack.

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-28-2020 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:03 AM   #12
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes. That is true. However, a local dealer (who has a tyre man in house) is looking into this for me. I will report back in this thread when I get an answer.
A lot of people do not realise that all the BMW * rating means is that they (BMW) have tested that tyre. If the tyre does not have the * rating it does not mean it is not suitable. In many cases Audi, Mercedes have tested the tyre and therefore it goes without saying if it is suitable for their vehicles then it meets very high standards.

I presume (please correct if I am wrong), that you are reluctant to use non BMW * tyres because of bunching on the transmission with the Xdrive with rear-wheel-drive cars. With the new platform (front wheel bias) then I am told this would not be of concern because of the way it works.
Concern is mainly due to warrantee issue

On the 2018 model the RunonFlat wheel is a 566 V spoke whereas the "Normal" tyre is fitted on the 566 Y Spoke At the time my dealer was surprised as its most unusual for two wheels with same number to be different Interestingly he said they had the tyre off one Y and found it would safely accept the RunonFlat.

To satisfy us both we had a tyre off -- not suitable for RunonFlat.

To get me even more confused refer to realoem

X1 F48 X1 20iX BMW LA wheel Y-Spoke 566 - 18''
Select another car > Wheels > Light alloy rim

Sorry I can note copy link.

and both wheels have the same part number , but they are different Seems daft to me

Have run previous 5 series with MO tyre perfectly happily

Last edited by Abh29; 07-28-2020 at 02:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:25 AM   #13
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Concern is mainly due to warrantee issue

On the 2018 model the RunonFlat wheel is a 566 V spoke whereas the "Normal" tyre is fitted on the 566 Y Spoke At the time my dealer was surprised as its most unusual for two wheels with same number to be different Interestingly he said they had the tyre off one Y and found it would safely accept the RunonFlat.

To satisfy us both we had a tyre off -- not suitable for RunonFlat.

To get me even more confused refer to realoem

X1 F48 X1 20iX BMW LA wheel Y-Spoke 566 - 18''
Select another car > Wheels > Light alloy rim

Sorry I can note copy link.

and both wheels have the same part number , but they are different Seems daft to me

Have run previous 5 series with MO tyre perfectly happily
Looks like there is a different issue with the rims with run-flat tyres and NON-run flat tyres. How the hell did BMW get into that situation with customers with the same part numbers?

It is different in as much as the M Sport LCI 2020 that I have on order has as standard 18" Double-spoke style 570 M light-alloy wheels. These wheels can take either NON-RFTs or RFTs and specified as such in the configurator.
The following link is relevant:
https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/co...F2,S0ZT1,S0ZT2
In the above option, I have the space saver at £150.

As an aside and not relevant to this discussion, it looks like my build will start late in August ready for delivery in September. Interestingly I have to wait until then because it is petrol. If I had specified diesel the time frame would have been a lot shorter with an August delivery.

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-28-2020 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:49 AM   #14
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

Just taken this from an email from the Master Tech at our dealership when we first started looking at the wheels

"It would appear to me that the wheel rims on your car will not take runflat tyres as there are two different rim part numbers depending on the specification, the only way we could say for certain is to remove a tyre and compare with a runflat rim but on the evidence I can see I would say not."

You will see they could not find out from the part number only by removing a tyre from the wheel

You are fortunate being able to order a 20i xDrive , when I wanted one in June 2018 they did not list any petrol in the xDrive only in sDrive models , whereas the xDrive was only listed in Diesel models . I still have the price list dated May 2018.
We fortunatly got a used one with 2100 miles registered in March 2018. I understand it was connected with getting approvals for the change in calculating mpg figures. Its why its not spec as I would have done ---- but it had the Lumber Support that we would not buy without.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #15
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

"It would appear to me that the wheel rims on your car will not take runflat tyres as there are two different rim part numbers depending on the specification, the only way we could say for certain is to remove a tyre and compare with a runflat rim but on the evidence I can see I would say not."
So you cannot have Run Flat tyres because you have 566 Y Spoke wheels that have rims that only take standard sidewall tyres? Therefore you must use standard tyres and obviously a space saver or can of gunk like I did on my X3 when I changed over from Run Flats to NON Run Flats? Note. These were both Pirelli BMW * rated, so no issues there.

So it would be in your best interest to be able to fit All Season NON Run Flats? You just need BMW approval in writing and not necessarily the BMW * rating on the tyre sidewall.

What a bizarre situation you find yourself in that has been created by BMW. I think we should put our heads together on this and talk to BMW to resolve not only for you, but others.

I will look at the way forward after speaking to the tyre man at North Oxford Garage.

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-28-2020 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #16
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Quote:
In the UK we can specify the space saver at £150. It comes with the jack.
Here, the compact spare (and accompanying jack) is linked to the non-runflat tires. Order one and you automatically get the other.

It used to be possible to use BMW's "special order" process to bypass some of these product-planning decisions where a feature isn't available in your country and you want it anyway. A few years ago, I did this with my Mini to equip it with a specific feature and colour scheme that could be ordered in other countries through normal channels, but not here.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #17
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

I spoke with my tyre supplier again following the comments from Peter R. He’s going to check with Michelin. His concern is that numerous BMW models with X drive are tyre specific. When asked why this might be, he advised that wear needs to be consistent as possible so as not to damage the X drive system.
Changing my 17” winter tyres for cross climate might not be so prudent but I am happy to be advised. My objective is to find tyres that generate significantly less road noise into the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #18
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
I spoke with my tyre supplier again following the comments from Peter R. He’s going to check with Michelin. His concern is that numerous BMW models with X drive are tyre specific. When asked why this might be, he advised that wear needs to be consistent as possible so as not to damage the X drive system.
Points above made by the tyre supplier need challenging as to who he is going to speak to and what his questions are.

1. The xDrive system used on the F48 X1 is predominantly a front wheel drive system (UKL2 platform) and differs from all the other xDrive BMWs that were predominantly rear wheel drive, so it goes without saying that the way the 4 wheel drive (xDrive) works is different. However the wear characteristics should be similar with perhaps some variations from front to back depending on the front or rear bias. Whatever it is, it is largely irrelevant as long as you change all 4 tyres at once and keep the tight tolerances between tyres across axles as it has always been for xDrive vehicles.

2. I cannot see how the tyre supplier talking to Michelin is going to help you as a customer. It is BMW technical he needs to consult.

3. The manufacturing tolerances on the Michelin NON Run Flat Cross Climate (all season) tyre that I quoted in my previous posts [see note 1.] are no worse or better than the manufacturing tolerances on other Michelin tyres that are BMW * rated that are marketed by Michelin. It is just that BMW have run the * rated tyres on tests and approved them. If they had tested the NON Run Flat Cross Climate (all season) tyres they may well have approved them as well.

4. At present in the UK there is not any Cross Climate NON Run Flat 225/50 R18 W(99) supplied by any tyre manufacturer that has a BMW* rating. Whilst on the production line in Germany the NON Run Flat 225/50 R18 W (99)tyre is fitted as standard on F48 X1 xDrive supplied to the US, so it goes without saying that it is BMW approved whether it is stamped as BMW * rated or not.

Note 1.

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-28-2020 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:10 PM   #19
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I can answer question 2. I ordered a 2020 LCI in the US with the all season non-RFT tires on the 570M wheels.

The tires are Continental and they are absolute flaming hot trash...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 01:44 AM   #20
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme View Post
I can answer question 2. I ordered a 2020 LCI in the US with the all season non-RFT tires on the 570M wheels.

The tires are Continental and they are absolute flaming hot trash...
@bmwforme. Please clarify.

1. Do these 225/50 R18 W (99) tyres have BMW * rating on the sidewalls?

2. How many miles and state what you mean by "absolute flaming hot trash"?

Thank you kindly

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-29-2020 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 02:37 AM   #21
ttimbo
Major
Rep

When I replaced the tyres on our X1 here in Australia, I chose Pirelli P7 (non-RFT) because (a) they were among tyres supplied as OEM fitment (albeit in RFT); and (b) they were available ex stock (often a bigger issue down under). No BMW * nor did I see this on any tyres offered in our market. Quieter and decent ride (in 18"), although I'd loved to have purchased the Michelin PS4S SUV version, had they been available at the time, as I have these on our other cars and regard them as an excellent tyre.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      07-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #22
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
Here, the compact spare (and accompanying jack) is linked to the non-runflat tires. Order one and you automatically get the other.

It used to be possible to use BMW's "special order" process to bypass some of these product-planning decisions where a feature isn't available in your country and you want it anyway. A few years ago, I did this with my Mini to equip it with a specific feature and colour scheme that could be ordered in other countries through normal channels, but not here.
In the UK with the LCI from 2020 onwards (I just checked again with dealer for the purposes of this forum), the default tyre for the X1 is standard non-run-flat tyres with a mobility kit (gunge).
The client can then select the jack and the space saver for £150. Run-flat tyres are not now on the list for UK 2020 LCI.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00