BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board You Never Thought You Would…..

09-23-2022, 12:30 PM   #1
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Do or Own (fill in the blank)

I'm drinking sparkling Greek wine in Santorini right now. I remember being in my early 20's and working with an older guy who was like a mentor. He had a computer background of Santorini and talked about how amazing it was. At that time, I had no money and certainly grew up with nothing so traveling somewhere like that was mind boggling to me. Even though we've been some crazy places I guess I'm having some nostalgia right now. In that time, I never imagined I could afford or would even be able to travel this far. Damn, I've worked hard but so lucky and thankful for the amazing things that have come my way.

Also, never thought I would have a BMW yet alone a M….50i They didn't have a only M when I bought my X5.

I guess the moral of this is I want to hear what others thought was out of reach and to say congrats for achieving what you thought you couldn't or wouldn't. I'm so grateful for those amazing experiences!
Attached Images

Appreciate 15
cmyx6go15683.50
Vinnrox2502947.50
Dino GT35131.50
SW111279.00
BMWGUYinCO4120.00
wtwo317943.50
vreihen1615139.00
M_Six16804.00
Brigitte484.50
jmg18658.50
kscarrol8889.50
///MPhatic13804.50
Nuckle2192.50
      09-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #2
Vinnrox250
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
Wow, what a picture, it looks beautiful there! Glad you were able to make it to a place you have always wanted to go since you were younger! Santorini is on my bucket list! And that you have such an awesome suv!! I think the M50 is the best balance between comfort and rocket ship!

DO: Never did I think I would ever get to Europe! Germany primarily, and get to be going back again next year! I love it there. Was never really on my radar to go out of country as a kid.

OWN: Never did I think I would have my childhood dream car (M3), let alone be able to pay outright for it! Along with my daily's in my early 30's.

Super fortunate and very thankful to be where I am today.
Appreciate 3
rebekahb3130.00
Buug95917177.00
      09-23-2022, 01:56 PM   #3
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Never thought I would live in LA. Always hated it the couple times I visited prior. I've learned to appreciate the good (which there is plenty of) while accepting it still isn't for me in the long-term.

Weird where life takes you.
Appreciate 2
rebekahb3130.00
      09-23-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Back when we were newlyweds and I was in the Navy in San Diego, we figured we had a choice, kids or a house. Fast forward and we've been blessed with both. We never thought we'd own a nice house and have a couple of kids. I never thought we'd own a BMW, either.

God is good!
Appreciate 3
rebekahb3130.00
Buug95917177.00
      09-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Cool thread idea! Congrats on being in such an amazing location!

Never thought I could understand what it meant to have a close relationship with God... or that church would ever be a place I would be genuinely happy to go to and enjoy the people there. All of them.
Never thought I'd prefer non material things (like overall health) > material things. That actually still boggles my mind.

Never thought I could love someone as much as I love my wife and kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 4
rebekahb3130.00
Germanauto9698.00
Buug95917177.00
      09-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnrox250 View Post
Wow, what a picture, it looks beautiful there! Glad you were able to make it to a place you have always wanted to go since you were younger! Santorini is on my bucket list! And that you have such an awesome suv!! I think the M50 is the best balance between comfort and rocket ship!

DO: Never did I think I would ever get to Europe! Germany primarily, and get to be going back again next year! I love it there. Was never really on my radar to go out of country as a kid.

OWN: Never did I think I would have my childhood dream car (M3), let alone be able to pay outright for it! Along with my daily's in my early 30's.

Definitely keep it there! It's gorgeous but busy. I've been hanging in our room because they view and hot tub are so nice. I'm kinda over geek food so went and grabbed a pizza to go and it was pretty crowded so was happy to come back to the quiet.

We are thinking about going to Germany for the Christmas markets since last year got scrapped.

Congrats on the Europe travel and owning the M3. Great accomplishment on being able to pay outright.
Appreciate 1
Vinnrox2502947.50
      09-23-2022, 02:26 PM   #7
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Cool thread idea! Congrats on being in such an amazing location!

Never thought I could understand what it meant to have a close relationship with God... or that church would ever be a place I would be genuinely happy to go to and enjoy the people there. All of them.
Never thought I'd prefer non material things (like overall health) > material things. That actually still boggles my mind.

Never thought I could love someone as much as I love my wife and kids.

I can relate to this. I went through a pretty rough time and hated God. Was angry and mad. Things have since gotten a lot better and I enjoy going to church. I've met some incredible people and even though we're all jacked up they are great support. We went on a mission trip and when we came back I wanted to sell everything. It was hard because I felt like we have so much that we don't even appreciate. A basic like running water in your own home. As I've gotten older I like you could do away with a lot of material things. It doesn't mean as much as it once did.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #8
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Never thought I would live in Florida
Never thought I would see Europe (and love it)
Never thought I would be able to say I dated some amazingly attractive women, yet alone marry one
Never thought I would stop going out to dinner on the weekends (norm was 2-3 times/week)
Appreciate 3
rebekahb3130.00
Buug95917177.00
      09-23-2022, 02:39 PM   #9
Vinnrox250
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnrox250 View Post

Definitely keep it there! It's gorgeous but busy. I've been hanging in our room because they view and hot tub are so nice. I'm kinda over geek food so went and grabbed a pizza to go and it was pretty crowded so was happy to come back to the quiet.

We are thinking about going to Germany for the Christmas markets since last year got scrapped.

Congrats on the Europe travel and owning the M3. Great accomplishment on being able to pay outright.
Absolutely. And nothing wrong with that! Having a view like that I'd want to take in the scenes then come back and relax. So many times a vacation is go, go, go! Glad you're relaxing some. And hey! Pizza. My favorite food. Haha.

You guys need to go! I could move there, I love all the history. I went in the warmer months but I want to go during Christmas so bad! It looks beautiful! It's everything you think of when you think Christmas.

Thank you very much! I appreciate it. It's a huge accomplishment!!

Great thread idea!! Cool to see everyone's take on this!!
      09-23-2022, 04:57 PM   #10
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
We went to Santorini for our honeymoon... so I'll start with that... never thought I'd be able to visit a place like Santorini

Never thought I'd own a new BMW (certainly not 2 new ones)... in my early 20s I figured at best I might be able to scrape enough to be able to afford a used one.

Never thought I'd fly business class international... but finally got that opportunity this past March and it was glorious.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
Buug95917177.00
      09-23-2022, 06:13 PM   #11
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Ever since I was a child, I've hated Apple. I hate their products, their consumers, their "lifestyle" that they portray. I hate the walled garden, the lack of choices and how they think you know better than you. I hated that they pretended their powerPC architecture was superior to x86 back in the day, and that the day they switched to the intel stuff they touted how much it kicked the old IBM's stuff in the pants.

A few years ago something happened. Windows 10 is a nice hot log of poop right on your plate after Windows 7. After the resounding success of satya's bullshit model, they introduce 11 which now has ads in the explorer shell itself.

I bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and even an Intel MBP right as the M1's came out. You see I couldn't handle running windows 10 bareback on my hardware anymore because oh I don't know the piece of shit wouldn't go to sleep right and have a dead battery. You know, just problems solved two decades ago. Running Desktop linux at the time was basically a no go as the hell that systemd wrought on the linux space made it somewhat buggy and unstable.

I still have a One+ 9Pro so I'm platform agnostic, but I weep for the tech space. Android is dead, nobody roots and filters ads correctly anymore. Youtube vanced is dead, here's product™ you can pay for to accomplish the same thing. Pixel phones are a joke. Everyone goes samsung but is too scared to root it. Rooting itself isn't even worthwhile because of how every app checks for root, and it's a constant game of cat and mouse. My iPhone suspiciously always gets shittier near a product release of new generation phones.

I hate that I can't customize it to my liking, but it works as what I need it most; a phone to make calls.

I see I am aging into a grumpy old man very well.
      09-23-2022, 09:24 PM   #12
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
Ever since I was a child, I've hated Apple. I hate their products, their consumers, their "lifestyle" that they portray. I hate the walled garden, the lack of choices and how they think you know better than you. I hated that they pretended their powerPC architecture was superior to x86 back in the day, and that the day they switched to the intel stuff they touted how much it kicked the old IBM's stuff in the pants.

A few years ago something happened. Windows 10 is a nice hot log of poop right on your plate after Windows 7. After the resounding success of satya's bullshit model, they introduce 11 which now has ads in the explorer shell itself.

I bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and even an Intel MBP right as the M1's came out. You see I couldn't handle running windows 10 bareback on my hardware anymore because oh I don't know the piece of shit wouldn't go to sleep right and have a dead battery. You know, just problems solved two decades ago. Running Desktop linux at the time was basically a no go as the hell that systemd wrought on the linux space made it somewhat buggy and unstable.

I still have a One+ 9Pro so I'm platform agnostic, but I weep for the tech space. Android is dead, nobody roots and filters ads correctly anymore. Youtube vanced is dead, here's product™ you can pay for to accomplish the same thing. Pixel phones are a joke. Everyone goes samsung but is too scared to root it. Rooting itself isn't even worthwhile because of how every app checks for root, and it's a constant game of cat and mouse. My iPhone suspiciously always gets shittier near a product release of new generation phones.

I hate that I can't customize it to my liking, but it works as what I need it most; a phone to make calls.

I see I am aging into a grumpy old man very well.
I, too, was a PC fanboy growing up with my 80386 and into the P4. I hated Apple, or Macs in particular. Around the early 2000's I was forced into the Apple world for work, and once I got over the frustration of not having that level of control, I started to appreciate it just working without having to dig into my config.sys file, bios settings, or even the old autoexec.bat files. I retired my PC rigs once they became obsolete and now I only have Apple products. I tried Android as well, but no go. I've been wanting to build a gaming rig lately, but for work, it's all Apple. It's not perfect, but I just find myself more productive on an Apple, especially for some specific server features in my line of work that just aren't' available on Windows.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615139.00