BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Anyone know of a bank/credit union that can roll interest rates into car price?

09-21-2022, 07:00 AM   #67
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I had my BMW loan on autopay, and don’t remember a BMW finance option to simply add $25 each month. However, all the bank connections are already in place, so it was simple to make extra payments of any amount. You just login to BMW finance and make the payment.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      09-21-2022, 08:42 AM   #68
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I think you all are ignoring banking laws which, though they may vary by state, require contracts which clearly state the interest on the loans. You can't get around this in any financing scenario when you are making payments over time. It is the law.

Of course leasing uses a money-factor, but a Google search can tell you how it relates to interest. But, since you don't really own the car, you can call it a "rental" fee is you're really looking for a way to circumvent ridiculous religious doctrine.

And I'm pretty sure that God invented Math.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614882.00
Mosaud19983890.00
      09-21-2022, 11:04 AM   #69
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
And I'm pretty sure that God invented Math.
...and the Arabic culture gave us the mathematical concept of zero, IIRC.....
      09-22-2022, 07:02 AM   #70
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I think you all are ignoring banking laws which, though they may vary by state, require contracts which clearly state the interest on the loans. You can't get around this in any financing scenario when you are making payments over time. It is the law.
This is a good point and it's actually federal law (the Truth in Lending Act).

That LARIBA site/model tries to get around it by saying there really is no interest, I'm just buying the asset and reselling to you at a higher price, in installments. It's very transparent that they're trying to create a loophole - especially since they still market their products as "financing" - but I don't know if regulators are calling BS or looking the other way on this.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      09-22-2022, 07:03 AM   #71
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
This thread has been a fascinating read. I get super interested learning about different practices and beliefs, and how they come into existence.

That being said, this site above actually says their model has been approved by Islamic scholars (my apologies if I'm misstating what a fatwa is)…did you read it?

it's important to see what your actual equivalent interest rate would be, to make sure it's competitive…but if you really want to observe your religion strictly, why not do this?
I contacted them. They don't work with car loans unfortunately.
That's too bad. Their site has an application for car financing, so i thought they could help you.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      09-22-2022, 07:46 AM   #72
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
It's somewhat against our religion to take loans out with interest rates.
I thought this was a joke at first, I've used that line before, and I'm pure atheist. So forgive me for asking, but this is true, your religion doesn't allow you to buy things with interest?? How does one buy a home? Hiding the interest surely can't be looked at as not paying it, right? I think if there were a God it'd know.

And the reasoning behind this? What's wrong with interest? You're literally just giving something to someone because they helped you get something you'd not otherwise be able to get. Like if someone said I'll allow you to eat today, but you must work on my shed for a hour." That's interest, no? Sorry if this has been addressed, I didn't read all responses. And NO DISRESPECT intended!
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      09-22-2022, 08:33 AM   #73
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I thought this was a joke at first, I've used that line before, and I'm pure atheist. So forgive me for asking, but this is true, your religion doesn't allow you to buy things with interest?? How does one buy a home? Hiding the interest surely can't be looked at as not paying it, right? I think if there were a God it'd know.

And the reasoning behind this? What's wrong with interest? You're literally just giving something to someone because they helped you get something you'd not otherwise be able to get. Like if someone said I'll allow you to eat today, but you must work on my shed for a hour." That's interest, no? Sorry if this has been addressed, I didn't read all responses. And NO DISRESPECT intended!
I don't even know. As I said, I'm not really religious myself.

But, I talked them into taking the 3-year loan out. But, I feel like we should keep the minivan. I mean, the X7 is a WANT. Not really a NEED
///MPhatic13538.50
      09-22-2022, 11:14 AM   #74
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post

It's true. Technically dealing with interest is forbidden. I'm not an expert by any means, but from my understanding the religion ends up prohibiting certain things that can lead to self destructive harm, which may be viewed as perfectly normal activity in society today (i.e. drinking alcohol).

In regards to interest specifically, I think it comes down to avoiding the exploitation of less fortunate people, who are more prone to getting stuck in a vicious cycle of compounding interest, growing the loan balance while they continue to make minimum payments. It's essentially - rather than specifying exceptions, complicated rules, etc, let's eliminate even the possibility of predatory lending by prohibiting interest altogether. At least this is my interpretation of why it's forbidden.

In modern society, the interpretation of interest within the religion has varied quite a bit. Some say interest is fine to pay as long as you're not the one collecting interest - because avoiding it in today's world is nearly impossible. Then there's others (some I know personally) who very strictly adhere to the religion and will actually hold off on large purchases until they have the means to purchase those items in cash.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13538.50
vreihen1614882.00
      09-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #75
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but from my understanding the religion ends up prohibiting certain things that can lead to self destructive harm, which may be viewed as perfectly normal activity in society today (i.e. drinking alcohol).
I see, makes sense, rules from a different age (how many goats can you trade, etc,).

Quote:
In regards to interest specifically, I think it comes down to avoiding the exploitation of less fortunate people, who are more prone to getting stuck in a vicious cycle of compounding interest, growing the loan balance while they continue to make minimum payments.
I can certainly understand this, as it happens frequently. My father in law recently took a bit ill, so my wife has been handling his bills. She found that he had been paying interest on a life insurance loan for the last 26 years that could have easily been paid off. I think they have taken him for $80K.

Quote:
Some say interest is fine to pay as long as you're not the one collecting interest.
This I don't understand. It can't be any different than collecting any other goods for services rendered.

Quote:
Then there's others (some I know personally) who very strictly adhere to the religion and will actually hold off on large purchases until they have the means to purchase those items in cash.
Smart, unless you need credit/a house.

Thanks for the insight!
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      09-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #76
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
FWIW, the bible also has several mentions of interest not being acceptable.....
      09-22-2022, 01:03 PM   #77
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
I had my BMW loan on autopay, and don’t remember a BMW finance option to simply add $25 each month. However, all the bank connections are already in place, so it was simple to make extra payments of any amount. You just login to BMW finance and make the payment.
Not for autopay. I'm financing both my S1000RR and C650 Sport. Well I was financing my S1000RR. Just paid it off. I didn't set up autopay on either. I paid off the S1000RR way ahead of the 5 year term I had on it. Actually paid it off in less than a year. I was making more than the minimum payment each month up until a few months ago where I accelerated the payments to every other week. All of this was done via BMW FS' website. With the stock market on a downward slide, I opted to tackle the high interest rate of the loan on the RR at 4.99%.

The C650's loan is at 1.99% and I'm deciding if I want to just clear it off my books or take it to term. Only owe $3800 on it and have just over 2 years left to pay it off following the set monthly payments.
Appreciate 0