BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020 Cayenne - Am I crazy?

04-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #23
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I find most modern transmission AWFUL on transition from slowing down and down changing then back on even mild throttle. The 8 speed in our X1 was HOPELESS, so jerky. The 8 speed (same box?) on the X3 was nearly as bad and our Alfa ain't much good.

My Saab though, 5 speed ancient thing, absolutely smooth as butter on this transition, no comparison.
Nothing was as bad as the DCT we had on our 135i. I always detested driving it in slow traffic or around town. Not fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #24
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Nothing was as bad as the DCT we had on our 135i. I always detested driving it in slow traffic or around town. Not fun.
Agreed the worst for me on my e82 was coasting (like at a yield sign) and slowing down but not quite stopping before hitting the gas...always took like 2 seconds for the trans to engage the right gear and get going.
      04-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #25
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Agreed the worst for me on my e82 was coasting (like at a yield sign) and slowing down but not quite stopping before hitting the gas...always took like 2 seconds for the trans to engage the right gear and get going.
This, then jerks into gear, hate it. For some reason the saab is siiiiiiiilllllky.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #26
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
OK, maybe too broad a question as most of you don't know me in person and this one idea might not actually make me certifiable.

Last year I bought a 2020 Cayenne. Went thru mental gymnastics before I picked it. And heck, it does everything they say it will. Drives like a sports car and looks great. But..... some things in Eden are not making me happy. And I've discovred I do not drive like I'm in a Porsche. Heck a Cadillac XT6 would be fine the way I drive. Guess I am old.

Specifically 2 issues.

1) The transmission. Starting off can be a herky-jerky affair. My wife has a bad back and I have to really work to start off smoothly. It is getting old.

2) Voice electronics - I had a 2017 BMW with this feature and it worked a lot better. Sometimes I request a destination and it comes back with weird answers. Others, like say Home Depot, it lists them. Except I might be 2 blocks away from one but it doesn't show in the list. Porsche is behind some other cars in this area.

I don't know. Paid $82k for it. Per KBB trade in value is $73k. Not too bad a hit if I deal it now.

Any of you ever do this? Am I cray cray?

PS - gotta go. Tee time in 30 minutes. Will read when I get back.
It's like this...

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #27
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
I don't know what idrive version you have but voice control in my ID6 '17 F32 is excellent, better than anything I've ever tried.
That could be it - I have a 15 which is ID4 NBT I believe - maybe they have made some good advances. It is up-to-date, but it's voice control is horrible - with anyone speaking - not just me. Sometimes it is hilariously not even close.

My 10 year old Ford SYNC worked MUCH better.
      04-23-2021, 02:53 PM   #28
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

"Learn to want the things you already have." Something I heard somewhere that's helped me through similar (unnecessary) dilemmas.
Appreciate 2
Fined243.00
chassis6373.50
      04-24-2021, 01:59 AM   #29
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

if you can't get used to the throttle then dump it. not like your really losing money if you buy a used car either, since the depreciation will be similar. test drive an X5, Q7, or even a Model X / audi e-tron and see what you think.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #30
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
if you can't get used to the throttle then dump it. not like your really losing money if you buy a used car either, since the depreciation will be similar. test drive an X5, Q7, or even a Model X / audi e-tron and see what you think.
Actually the depreciation of the Porsche has been minimal. Shocked to say the least.

The X5 might be a winner. And a 1 year old used one if I can find it with the right features would probably be a winner. Got to admit (on this forum heresy) I like the Kia, Ford and Cadillacs too.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #31
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

The transmission problem could be eliminated by a trip to your dealer...it uses same ZF 8 as is used in BMW. Great transmission.
The Cayenne was the competition with my '19 X5. Bought the X5 because of the features and that great B58 motor. The Cayenne styling was SO much better....has that timeless Porsche look.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:22 AM   #32
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Yeah I drive in the normal mode. Biggest issue is when you pull up to a stop sign. Want to come to a complete halt then drive off right away. Very jerky. Or if in the hold mode getting started. Guess I'm just an old fart now. I do like the handling and ride OK. j

TBH I also regret the money I spent on it. Yes, I can afford it. But I find myself wondering about some luxury items I own and use that I could do without. Maybe another sign of age.

Really thinking of doing a Carmax thing and buying an Edge/Explorer or Telluride etc. At 6000 miles per year and no long trips it's all I need.
Search the market at local dealerships but id recommend not getting something too basic as those nowadays are not the best in quality and driving handling. Nowadays any car brand will throw a trash electronic steering system in budget cars and no handling upgrades. You should possibly check a new BMW x5 or honda or Mercedes. I think you should also inspect the Navi systems to your liking since all dealers will just say yes to having any feature that's not there just to sell the car to you.
      04-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #33
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Well so far I'm all hat and no cattle. Meaning I am too lazy to even start to change. Too many tee times and going away parties to attend right now. But once all the snowbirds are gone I'll have time to consider.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #34
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

This is how my father feels. He used to drive sport sedans including a couple BMW 3ers but once the F30 generation came he was no longer interested. Always wanted a Porsche but now in his mid-50s felt the Boxster/Cayman were too difficult to get in/out of. So naturally he opted for a Macan S.

This car almost feels like a sports car on stilts, it's that good. However he always opts to drive my mom's G05 X5 instead because it's "more comfortable seats, better driving position, and has better tech." I roll my eyes at all this but his priorities have changed over time.

Certain people are cut out for Porsche and others are not. If driving dynamics aren't one's #1 priority then it's better to save $$ and opt for a BMW/Audi/Merc.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 12:19 AM   #35
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
This is how my father feels. He used to drive sport sedans including a couple BMW 3ers but once the F30 generation came he was no longer interested. Always wanted a Porsche but now in his mid-50s felt the Boxster/Cayman were too difficult to get in/out of. So naturally he opted for a Macan S.

This car almost feels like a sports car on stilts, it's that good. However he always opts to drive my mom's G05 X5 instead because it's "more comfortable seats, better driving position, and has better tech." I roll my eyes at all this but his priorities have changed over time.

Certain people are cut out for Porsche and others are not. If driving dynamics aren't one's #1 priority then it's better to save $$ and opt for a BMW/Audi/Merc.
I looked at the Macan. At the time I was convinced I needed room for 4 guys and sets of clubs. Fast forward and I never seem to need that much room. If I do get the itch I'm considering lots of alternatives. Mercedes doesnt cut it cause it's almost impossible to find a 6 cylinder in the GLE class. And the ones that do cost as much as the Cayenne and part of the point is reducing my investment in cars.

The X3 M40i looks intriguing. $60k ish and large enough.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
chassis6373.50
      04-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #36
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Had a 958 cayenne gts. Smooth as butter. It's all tuning so I strongly suggest talking to porsche and seeing if there's a different trans/throttle map they can upload for you.

That said, if you hate the buttons and media etc as I grew to, ditch it. Decided not to buy another when insurance totaled ours.
      04-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #37
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post

Electronics - never buy a Porsche for their infotainment.
not to mention their ridiculous oil change prices !!
      04-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #38
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikado463 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post

Electronics - never buy a Porsche for their infotainment.
not to mention their ridiculous oil change prices !!
If you go to the dealer you deserve to pay more. Find a good indy.
      04-30-2021, 10:28 PM   #39
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
1. Not crazy at all.

2. I just traded in a 2019 Q7 that didn't need my "needs" (well, wants) so I can totally identify with what you're going through. If you can afford it, why suffer.

3. With regards to voice nav - why not use Apple CarPlay (I know there's no Android Auto on Porsche, it drives me nuts)? There's just no way car voice recognition can compete with Siri, Google, Alexa, etc. -- there's simply not enough processing power invested in car systems to compete.

4. I cross-shopped Porsche very very deeply before deciding on my most recent car. I had a Cayenne GTS all dialed in and had an order ready to go and everything before I bailed out. Ultimately, Porsche (in my humble opinion) doesn't provide enough value for the performance.

I know value is a weird concept when you're dropping 100k for a car, but dollar for spec, I was looking at a 25% premium for Porsche vs. Audi or BMW. And yeah, being able to dial in the exact spec I wanted down the thread color is super cool... but not that cool.
      04-30-2021, 10:35 PM   #40
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
1. Not crazy at all.

2. I just traded in a 2019 Q7 that didn't need my "needs" (well, wants) so I can totally identify with what you're going through. If you can afford it, why suffer.

3. With regards to voice nav - why not use Apple CarPlay (I know there's no Android Auto on Porsche, it drives me nuts)? There's just no way car voice recognition can compete with Siri, Google, Alexa, etc. -- there's simply not enough processing power invested in car systems to compete.

4. I cross-shopped Porsche very very deeply before deciding on my most recent car. I had a Cayenne GTS all dialed in and had an order ready to go and everything before I bailed out. Ultimately, Porsche (in my humble opinion) doesn't provide enough value for the performance.

I know value is a weird concept when you're dropping 100k for a car, but dollar for spec, I was looking at a 25% premium for Porsche vs. Audi or BMW. And yeah, being able to dial in the exact spec I wanted down the thread color is super cool... but not that cool.
I didn't see a 25% DELTA Porsche to BMW. I saw about $10k between equally equipped x5 and Cayenne. But maybe the delta rises when you enter the Turbo vs M models.

Right now the dealer has a 2020 Macan GTS demo. With 18 miles. Not sure I really want a red car (at least not that red) but I might need to see it and feel the seats in person. Got nothing else to do tomorrow as there is a couples tournament at the club and my wife doesn't play golf. I like almost everything about the BMW X5 and X3. Except the current styling is kinda bland. Bummer that cause I think the overall features and drive ability and performance for their cars is superior dollar to dollar. Audi is nice but they never have any selection.

Course part of my dissatisfaction is knowing I'm dropping so much dosh on a vehicle I drive all of 6K a year. Feels stupid. Might lease a higher end X5 and figure it out again in 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #41
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't see a 25% DELTA Porsche to BMW. I saw about $10k between equally equipped x5 and Cayenne. But maybe the delta rises when you enter the Turbo vs M models.

Right now the dealer has a 2020 Macan GTS demo. With 18 miles. Not sure I really want a red car (at least not that red) but I might need to see it and feel the seats in person. Got nothing else to do tomorrow as there is a couples tournament at the club and my wife doesn't play golf. I like almost everything about the BMW X5 and X3. Except the current styling is kinda bland. Bummer that cause I think the overall features and drive ability and performance for their cars is superior dollar to dollar. Audi is nice but they never have any selection.

Course part of my dissatisfaction is knowing I'm dropping so much dosh on a vehicle I drive all of 6K a year. Feels stupid. Might lease a higher end X5 and figure it out again in 3 years.

Hah yeah leading sounds like a viable option.

For me, the Cayenne GTS i specced was around 145, and that didn’t have everything I wanted. A comparable RS Q8 is 126 and it has an engine comparable to the Turbo. Also a top spec X5 M Competition with all the boxes checked is like 115 or so. So yeah, at the higher end, Porsches cost a lot more.

Not that this will help you right now given the chip shortages plaguing the auto industry, but if you want a dialed in spec, ordering is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #42
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Get a X5 M50i, they're awesome.

If you want something more relaxed, check out the new Escalade or the Yukon Denali with the 6.2L gas or 3.0L diesel engine.
Archived: 2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0