BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos You ever lose the love?

05-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #45
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

you're getting old that's all it is.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      05-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #46
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Wow, great post! A lot of wisdom here... which will likely be ignored unfortunately lol
Haha well, the other side of the coin is that I didn't listen to anyone either and had to learn it for myself on my own. Fortunately for me, there was no learning it the "hard way" in my case, but I could have saved quite a bit more money if I became comfortable with the mentality a little sooner.

Getting to that point is different for everyone but most people figure it out sooner or later, with different amounts of money spent in the process. Definitely a mental thing. You can't force yourself to be comfortable with it and change your mentality. Just needs to come naturally as you go through life and see yourself repeating the cycle for no apparent reason.
      05-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #47
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

You keep driving/testing cars that make all their power high in the rev range.

Ever consider trying something like a Z06? I just had some of the best months of driving IN MY LIFE with this car. Give in to the child inside of you - the noises and the low end power is intoxicating man.

I'm trying to replace my Z06 with a new R8 V10Perf right now but I know I'm going to miss the living shit out of it. I'm on a wait list for the C8Z06 but that will be a different experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 05:03 AM   #48
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
You keep driving/testing cars that make all their power high in the rev range.

Ever consider trying something like a Z06? I just had some of the best months of driving IN MY LIFE with this car. Give in to the child inside of you - the noises and the low end power is intoxicating man.

I'm trying to replace my Z06 with a new R8 V10Perf right now but I know I'm going to miss the living shit out of it. I'm on a wait list for the C8Z06 but that will be a different experience.
oh it's not the cars, it's me. After losing my love for many cars that I initially loved, I realize that will happen with any car for me. In the past that didn't matter, and I would just keep chasing, striving to find that next car I will love. Lately I am losing interest in that chase and find myself thinking of just chilling out with a "sporty" car that is decently fun.

I did have a 1989 5.0 Modded stang back in the day with 373 gears so I do get what you mean about low end power and noises. I had actually hoped the C7 would replicate that experience with more modern refinement, but it didn't for me (I owned one for 3 weeks).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:41 PM   #49
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

i probably will when every car is electric and gasoline cars are banned from the road
Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50
      05-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #50
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I weirdly have this feeling as well. Been a car nut since I first saw my E46 parked on the side of this old lady's house for years on my way to school on the bus. Must have been 13-14. When I was 16 I used my savings with some help from Dad to buy her for 6k with 59k. This happened in 2008 and the car was only 7 years old (2001). Spent that summer getting her roadworthy. It's was sitting for 3 years because her husband passed and she didn't do anything with it until I bought it. Still have her to this day. Since then I've only had 3 cars including my M3. The second being a 135i which I did sold. All three have been modded and religiously maintained. The car scene has changed massively since my early days of car ownership. I remember going to shows/meets and seeing all the new high performance cars which were only really owned by older respectful people. Today it's ridiculous. It's too many rich kids who think they're on another level than everyone else. I've gotten more and more tired of it that I hardly go to any events anymore. Plus I'm starting to focus more of my time and attention to other things like my family, friends, and looking for a new home. I'll still have my love for cars but not like I used to. The M3 does make me smile though. I'll be keeping it forever.

Motorbikes on the other hand is a different story. That's a hobby I'm still enjoying. My R6 always make me smile. Fellow riders have always been respectful and bike meets are always fun. No matter what size bike you ride it's all a big family.
      05-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #51
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

After picking up my factory order JLU Rubicon last month, I'm finally to a point where I don't think I will buy another car for awhile....short of hitting the lotto in the next couple of years.lol
I have three vehicles now that all have a purpose and all are cars I obsessed about getting at one point or another in my life....my fleet is complete

my love of cars will never go away, but my obsession has faded a bit.... think half the fun of cars is hunting for them.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      05-20-2021, 02:55 PM   #52
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
my love of cars will never go away, but my obsession has faded a bit.... think half the fun of cars is hunting for them.
this is 100% how I feel, that the hunt and anticipation of the "right" car is starting to beat the ownership experience itself. the thrill is in the investigation, decision and pursuit...and maybe the first month or two of ownership. after that, the "high" is gone, and the only real way for me to capture the same high is looking for my next car.

hec, some one would say that after the decision is made and the pursuit ends (even before you actually own and drive it), there's a letdown. first world problems for sure though...

Last edited by KevinGS; 05-20-2021 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #53
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
this is 100% how I feel, that the hunt and anticipation of the "right" car is starting to beat the ownership experience itself. the thrill is in the investigation, decision and pursuit...and maybe the first month or two of ownership. after that, the "high" is gone, and the only real way for me to capture the same high is looking for my next car.

hec, some one would say that after the decision is made and the pursuit ends, there's a letdown. first world problems for sure though...
yes, this is very true....kinda like girls, the pursuit and infatuation is the thrill of the game and then you marry one .... then chasing cars become your replacement for chasing girls in some sort of weird way

Appreciate 1
KevinGS3275.00
      05-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #54
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
yes, this is very true....kinda like girls, the pursuit and infatuation is the thrill of the game and then you marry one .... then chasing cars become your replacement for chasing girls in some sort of weird way

yes, a very good analogy
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #55
mdf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

For whatever it's worth, some random thoughts, different perspective:

If you have had a lifelong passion for cars but are finding that missing now, maybe try some good journalism. Call it changing your diet. There is stuff like https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/ar...g-16137119.php , a guy who imported a Japanese micro fire truck. Or https://jalopnik.com/project-vemac-h...e-j-1846862024 about a guy restoring an obscure racer. Possibly someone else's passion will infuse yours.

Maybe a partner in crime with different character. Maybe you are missing the adventure in owning a car, things you might find in the seat of an older classic. You have to make a lot of compromises along with older cars, for sure, but that can be part of the joy. The car I miss for example is a 911E sunroof coupe. Those early 911's are just so much fun to drive. The car just spoke to me in a way. Whatever Corvette, S2000, Audi, M I have tried, they are all just much, much faster but they have never spoken to me the same way. Maybe is there some classic ride for you?

Maybe your passion is calling for something unique. With the money you are talking, you could certainly look at replicas for example. You could build a classic exactly the way you want it start-to-finish, forever yours.

I find my passion refreshed by weekends at the track. I don't need to be racing to enjoy it. Something I love about the weekend ET drag series out here is that there are so many cool cars. People build and race so many cool cars. The events are cheap to attend and the people are fellow travelers.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      05-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #56
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Is your passion going elsewhere? I seem to go through phases. Was a hardcore car nut, then hardcore into powerlifting, hardcore into home projects, now im getting back into cars but part of me says i should be buying a vacation home now instead of toys
Appreciate 0