BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Brake Pads Replacement

05-30-2020, 05:46 AM   #1
rameer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Brake Pads Replacement

Hi Everyone,

My 2016 X1 has about 110000 KMs and showing a warning for front brake pad replacement. I took it to my local mechanic and he said there is still quite a bit life left on the them. But my car says keeps on showing the warning. Not sure who should I go with.

Anyone has similar experience? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

You may have three choices,
1 Ignore the warning but frequently check pads
2 Disconnect the wire On the pads and hope the warning goes but frequently check pads.
3 Renew brake pads.
      05-31-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
rameer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
You may have three choices,
1 Ignore the warning but frequently check pads
2 Disconnect the wire On the pads and hope the warning goes but frequently check pads.
3 Renew brake pads.
Thanks for your reply. Now the warning light turned red and it's annoying as it's status for the whole drive. I don't notice any difference in braking at all, not even a small sound. But I am thinking to replace them soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #4
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

So unless it's for brake SERVICE which means it's simply time to look at it and/or reset the reminder. If it is literally for low brakes, there's a sensor inside the pads that once it hits metal/the sensor it goes nuts. In that case maybe the mechanic was lazy and just looked at the outside of the visible pad, and the inside is worn down to the metal. I'd get a second opinion on that.... Brakes are a relatively cheap option to change, especially pads. Unless you're totally certain that's the issue I would just go ahead and change them along with getting a new sensor that should be pretty cheap.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:19 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
So unless it's for brake SERVICE which means it's simply time to look at it and/or reset the reminder. If it is literally for low brakes, there's a sensor inside the pads that once it hits metal/the sensor it goes nuts. In that case maybe the mechanic was lazy and just looked at the outside of the visible pad, and the inside is worn down to the metal. I'd get a second opinion on that.... Brakes are a relatively cheap option to change, especially pads. Unless you're totally certain that's the issue I would just go ahead and change them along with getting a new sensor that should be pretty cheap.
There is also a tool used by dealers that they insert into the calipers that measure the thickness of the pad left. The mechanic should have used that.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameer View Post
Hi Everyone,

My 2016 X1 has about 110000 KMs and showing a warning for front brake pad replacement. I took it to my local mechanic and he said there is still quite a bit life left on the them. But my car says keeps on showing the warning. Not sure who should I go with.

Thanks
There are 4 pads in the front, only one has the sensor. I got unlucky and the one with the sensor wore out first, the other three were still good

Anyway, you should just change them, over 100k is very good.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:48 AM   #7
rameer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
There are 4 pads in the front, only one has the sensor. I got unlucky and the one with the sensor wore out first, the other three were still good

Anyway, you should just change them, over 100k is very good.
So I took the car to couple other guys, not an actual BMW service Center and they all told the pads and rotors have to be replaced. One guy took the wheel out and showed me the sensor. It is touching the pad and he said it's almost time to change. Surprisingly one said rotors are in a worse shape and there also quite a bit pad left. But the other guy said the pads needs to be changed but the rotors are okay. Not sure whose advice to follow. But it costs the only a little bit more change the rotors along with pads, not including the price of rotors. So I decided to change them all. Thanks for your advice everyone who responded.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
So I took the car to couple other guys, not an actual BMW service Center and they all told the pads and rotors have to be replaced. One guy took the wheel out and showed me the sensor. It is touching the pad and he said it's almost time to change. Surprisingly one said rotors are in a worse shape and there also quite a bit pad left. But the other guy said the pads needs to be changed but the rotors are okay. Not sure whose advice to follow. But it costs the only a little bit more change the rotors along with pads, not including the price of rotors. So I decided to change them all. Thanks for your advice everyone who responded.
You can get a set of rotors and pads on Amazon cheap. Then bring those to your mechanics or dealer ship.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #9
rameer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegun View Post
Quote:
You can get a set of rotors and pads on Amazon cheap. Then bring those to your mechanics or dealer ship.
The problem is most mechanics wants to get the parts from their source and don't like if I get them. I have asked many places and pretty much everybody is same
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
Millie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a bmw.

Quote:
The problem is most mechanics wants to get the parts from their source and don't like if I get them. I have asked many places and pretty much everybody is same
That's because they make money off their own parts.

It's very easy to replace the pads and sensors if you have access to tools. Everything is on Youtube these days.
2009 SG E92 DCT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:38 AM   #11
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
There is also a tool used by dealers that they insert into the calipers that measure the thickness of the pad left. The mechanic should have used that.
An easy way to do it yourself is to use unbraco keys. They can be slid between the brake disc and the pad metal part. The thickest you can slide in between is about the thickness of the remaining brake pad. When the pad gets too thin there is a risk of disintegration for the remaining pad during heavy breaking so I wouldn’t go much below 2 mm.