BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Pay Drivers in F1

04-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Thumbs down Pay Drivers in F1

what do you guys think about pay drivers and their talents?

Williams is probably the most interested team on pay drivers.. but high cost of racing pushes some teams into that way and its somehow understandable.. i never like Ocon but actually the reason he lost his seat 2 years ago because Perez had few big sponsors that flows money into Force India back in that time and still.. Perez does have some talent though.. but some of the drivers like Alex Yoong back in time, Esteban Gutiérrez, Sirotkin these names were pure money.. even if they had some success on lower series except Yoong..

but the fact that some drivers cant find a seat with their overwhelming talents find themselves out of grid is so frustrating.. knowing that Niki Lauda borrowed money back in time to have a seat, Michael Schumacher manager paid for him on lower Formula classes for initial part but they had some distinctive talent already with them.. Alonso used the same way up in the beginning.. i want to see the best drivers on the grid in F1...

you guys think budget cap will help?
      04-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
what do you guys think about pay drivers and their talents?

Williams is probably the most interested team on pay drivers.. but high cost of racing pushes some teams into that way and its somehow understandable.. i never like Ocon but actually the reason he lost his seat 2 years ago because Perez had few big sponsors that flows money into Force India back in that time and still.. Perez does have some talent though.. but some of the drivers like Alex Yoong back in time, Esteban Gutiérrez, Sirotkin these names were pure money.. even if they had some success on lower series except Yoong..

but the fact that some drivers cant find a seat with their overwhelming talents find themselves out of grid is so frustrating.. knowing that Niki Lauda borrowed money back in time to have a seat, Michael Schumacher manager paid for him on lower Formula classes for initial part but they had some distinctive talent already with them.. Alonso used the same way up in the beginning.. i want to see the best drivers on the grid in F1...

you guys think budget cap will help?

The Godfather Pastor Maldonado was a pay driver so I'm all for it! JK!
It's very simple... If you have a group of highly talented individuals competing for the last one percent of performance and they're getting paid ungodly amounts of money for their talent then you have a few drivers paying to be included in that group then you know they are sub-par. Are there exceptions? Of course. Lauda is kind of an exception because he had the talent but F1 was even more political back then so he only fast tracked his career. Michael Schumacher's example isn't exactly applicable here because in lower classes it's common to have self-sponsored drivers since not a lot of deep pockets are interested in paying a lot of money for little advertisement and exposure.
Appreciate 1