BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Wireless Carplay Issues

08-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
chimmyc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1

Angry Wireless Carplay Issues

Does anyone else experience issues with their phone not always working with Carplay? It used to happen less than 10% of the time when I started the car. Now it seems to connect less than half the time.

If I go into mobile devices and hit the option to 'Connect' it will show a screen attempting to connect for a minute or so and then say 'Unable to connect'. The phone is already paired though, and again... *sometimes* it will work automatically.

*Sometimes* I can connect to iDrive first and then switch to Carplay to get it working, but that works 20% of the time or less?

I've reset iDrive by holding the power button down for 30 seconds, resetting everything and re-pairing the phone but still having these issues. Anyone else?

2020 X1
iPhone 12 Max Pro

Versions
Telephone: TT-002.148.002
Media: MT-002.148.002
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimmyc View Post
Does anyone else experience issues with their phone not always working with Carplay? It used to happen less than 10% of the time when I started the car. Now it seems to connect less than half the time.

If I go into mobile devices and hit the option to 'Connect' it will show a screen attempting to connect for a minute or so and then say 'Unable to connect'. The phone is already paired though, and again... *sometimes* it will work automatically.

*Sometimes* I can connect to iDrive first and then switch to Carplay to get it working, but that works 20% of the time or less?

I've reset iDrive by holding the power button down for 30 seconds, resetting everything and re-pairing the phone but still having these issues. Anyone else?

2020 X1
iPhone 12 Max Pro

Versions
Telephone: TT-002.148.002
Media: MT-002.148.002
In BMW Carplay works using a combination of Bluetooth and wireless (needed due to high data load for some apps). I may be wrong but my understanding is that connection modes are different and if your phone connects in Bluetooth mode, I.e as audio device then it effectively blocks the Bluetooth+WiFi (Carplay) mode. I believe you need to disconnect phone as Bluetooth device and connect as Carplay device. It may be your phone is now automatically connecting in Bluetooth audio mode which then causes irritating message that “phone is already paired”. Whether this is a BMW or an Apple update issue suddenly causing the problem I cannot tells. In my car (different HU to X!), my phone connects as Bluetooth device automatically and if I want Carplay then I have to select it via the menu, remember some functionality is unavailable in Carplay mode so it may be the reason it is not default connection type.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
chimmyc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
In BMW Carplay works using a combination of Bluetooth and wireless (needed due to high data load for some apps). I may be wrong but my understanding is that connection modes are different and if your phone connects in Bluetooth mode, I.e as audio device then it effectively blocks the Bluetooth+WiFi (Carplay) mode. I believe you need to disconnect phone as Bluetooth device and connect as Carplay device. It may be your phone is now automatically connecting in Bluetooth audio mode which then causes irritating message that “phone is already paired”. Whether this is a BMW or an Apple update issue suddenly causing the problem I cannot tells. In my car (different HU to X!), my phone connects as Bluetooth device automatically and if I want Carplay then I have to select it via the menu, remember some functionality is unavailable in Carplay mode so it may be the reason it is not default connection type.
I read somewhere online that sometimes the WiFi needs to be connected manually sometimes to get Carplay recognized. That's happened once or twice.

I also had a realization today that I've had VPN settings enabled on my phone through my cell phone service provider so I disabled it before getting into my car tonight and it was able to connect fine. We'll see if that's the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 03:45 AM   #4
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Mine used to work like a charm, until recently a friend of mine connected his phone. Ever since, mine is not automatically connecting every time and sometimes I need to do it manually, or even turn off/start up the car again so it can work.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

There is definitely an issue with some iPhone 12 max pro phones and apple car play.

I sent mine away after informing apple it was having connection issues with all my Bluetooth speakers and CarPlay.

They returned it a week later including a very strange letter stating nothing was found wrong but they had updated some internal firmware and feel I may have a better experience. (Contradiction in my opinion)

They were right, works ever since with no connection issues or drops in car play.

My advise is tell them the same and send it to them.

They returned the same phone but they definitely opened it and it had a brand new screen even though my old screen had no marks so they actually did something but won't say what. I suspect they know a problem exists and won't admit it for fear of another scandal and class action.
Appreciate 0