BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Whining noise X1 28iX (pls don't be the tranny$

07-25-2021, 10:33 PM   #1
Brunquaaaa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 335i E90

X1 28iX Whining noise ( please don\'t be the transmission)

Hey,

So car has 90k on it, but started noticing this whine. This is me just reving it at stand still.

https://youtube.com/shorts/J3adSf0s_dA?feature=share

Even when driving you can hear it. Does anyone else have this sound? I'm hoping to God it's not the tranny. Being transversal and AWD its going to be stupid hard to replace. I already found a used one just want to make sure this is not normal and if anyone else has this sound. I just can't believe this only after 90k miles on the tranny. Do not want to spend 3-4 days on the transmission repair ripping out almost everything to get to it.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 10:46 PM   #2
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Well the good news is if it's whining when you're not moving or when you're in neutral then it's not the transmission, differential, or anything related to your wheels like wheel bearings...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 10:48 PM   #3
Brunquaaaa
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
Well the good news is if it's whining when you're not moving or when you're in neutral then it's not the transmission, differential, or anything related to your wheels like wheel bearings...
Can't it be the torque converter then? Isn't it always spinning when the engine is on ? Or the pump as well? Since it's always turning?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #4
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunquaaaa View Post
Can't it be the torque converter then? Isn't it always spinning when the engine is on ? Or the pump as well? Since it's always turning?
The transmission pump driven by the the torque converter does always spin including in park and neutral and can whine based on engine speed. If the filter is clogged and the pump isn't getting enough fluid it will also whine.

Usually if the torque converter itself it warn out and making noise it's the bearings, but then the transmission will also have trouble shifting and usually throw a transmission error code soon after.

Did you scan for any codes?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #5
Brunquaaaa
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
Quote:
The transmission pump driven by the the torque converter does always spin including in park and neutral and can whine based on engine speed. If the filter is clogged and the pump isn't getting enough fluid it will also whine.

Usually if the torque converter itself it warn out and making noise it's the bearings, but then the transmission will also have trouble shifting and usually throw a transmission error code soon after.

Did you scan for any codes?
No codes. Shifts fine and drives fine. That's why I'm confused. If it's pump or convertor sounds like it's going to have to be a whole swap still, can't swap out parts knowing metal is in other areas
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Are you sure it's coming from the underside if the vehicle and not from the engine bay? Bad pulley, manifold leak, etc.?

It would be worthwhile getting a diagnostic from the dealer before looking into a new transmission.

In the old days we'd disconnect the transmission from the e engine and start the car and rev to see if the noise is still there before doing the swap or rebuild. On these newer computer controlled cars I have no idea what would happen or if the vehicle would even start.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
Reefy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i BMW, 2017 X1 BMW 28i

I have noticed this sound since I bought the car at 32k. (At 43k now)

Showed my mechanic and he shrugged.

Just change the transmission fluid at 60k I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 10:56 PM   #8
Le510roy
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Could just be your turbo spooling when you rev your engine or accelerate fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 08:00 AM   #9
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

The whining noise from my car usually comes from my girlfriend. Difficult to fix, and it’s probably really expensive. I upgraded my sound system, so it helps. Just a bit…
Appreciate 1
Reefy38.00
      12-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredro View Post
The whining noise from my car usually comes from my girlfriend. Difficult to fix, and it’s probably really expensive. I upgraded my sound system, so it helps. Just a bit…
Don't get married. You will need ear plugs.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #11
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

Been down that road before…. My gps has rerouted me since.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 03:50 PM   #12
andreas_ts
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Hey,

So car has 90k on it, but started noticing this whine. This is me just reving it at stand still.

https://youtube.com/shorts/J3adSf0s_dA?feature=share

Even when driving you can hear it. Does anyone else have this sound? I'm hoping to God it's not the tranny. Being transversal and AWD its going to be stupid hard to replace. I already found a used one just want to make sure this is not normal and if anyone else has this sound. I just can't believe this only after 90k miles on the tranny. Do not want to spend 3-4 days on the transmission repair ripping out almost everything to get to it.

Thank you.
OP, did you find out what the problem was in the end? My car makes exactly the same noise (2020, 19k miles).
Appreciate 0