BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 top issues

07-16-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

F48 top issues

Was at the dealer yesterday looking at X5's when my wife saw a 2021 X1 and walked over to it. The SA opened the hatch and to my surprise, there was a lot of room in there for a compact SAV, sort of deceiving from the outside. Then he lifted the cargo floor and there was a ton of room under it as well...I was shocked.

I have never looked at the X1, just wasn't interested in a small SAV but have to say, it caught our attention. So we took it for a spin down the highway. I'm also not a 4 banger lover but once again caught myself being pleasantly surprised. My wife loved it. We used to have an F25 X3, loved it and were at the dealer looking for an X5 as a travel car due to the cargo space but we might also replace her 2018 GTi and she is thinking about doing that with the X1 after seeing and driving it.

Ok, so I am wondering if those who have owned the F48 X1 could chime in with their list of top issues their car has had, along with the mileage. Not being familiar with the X1 at all and the fact that BMW has had a rocky past with 4 cyl engines (N20 specifically but I think there was one other as well), I'm leery about buying a 4 cyl from them.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

brake pads tend to go out much quicker than other cars, but not a major issue. Just be prepared to change fronts in 20-25k and rears about 30-35k. Some may go longer but this is what I've experience.

i've owned my 2016 x1 for almost 15 months. Had to replace radiator at 35k because of a failed eac sensor but not a common issue, just un-lucky. Besides that, i love my x1! Much bigger than all other compact suvs i've looked at.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
Infoteknerd
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Overall it's not a bad car. Just don't expect the "full" BMW experience, at least dealing with the infotainment system (iDrive and HK) and long term seating.

Given the chance again, I would probably still purchase mine, as it had everything I wanted and a modest upgrade from my e84. But would just come in with slightly different expectations if comparing with an X5, or even an X3.

Just a few issues since I purchased it last year:
-Water pump leak
-Fuel sensor
-TCM

Purchased with 33k miles, currently has 44k.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

It's tough to solicit feedback because most issues with the early x1's are already resolved in 2021. Different transmission, updated TCM and sensors. Cargo capacity in the F48 is similar to your old F25. BMW has been good this past generation with updating and fixing issues.

Premature brakepad and tire wear is still an issue as far as I'm aware.

Zzzz
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoteknerd View Post
Overall it's not a bad car. Just don't expect the "full" BMW experience, at least dealing with the infotainment system (iDrive and HK) and long term seating.

Given the chance again, I would probably still purchase mine, as it had everything I wanted and a modest upgrade from my e84. But would just come in with slightly different expectations if comparing with an X5, or even an X3.

-Water pump leak
-Fuel sensor
-TCM

You mentioned long term seating, interesting because for the short duration test drive we took, my lower back was quite uncomfortable during the ride and I could not find a seating position that fixed that. I am wondering if the seats in the M Sport Pkg are any different in that area of the seat or if there is more cushioning if the seats were leather, anyone know anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #6
Infoteknerd
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoteknerd View Post

-Water pump leak
-Fuel sensor
-TCM

You mentioned long term seating, interesting because for the short duration test drive we took, my lower back was quite uncomfortable during the ride and I could not find a seating position that fixed that. I am wondering if the seats in the M Sport Pkg are any different in that area of the seat or if there is more cushioning if the seats were leather, anyone know anything about this?
M-Sport is MUCH better!

Also, opinions differ on this subject, but I appreciate the ACC, it may not be as reliable as some other cars. But I use it on most long drives with little issue. Maybe 10% failure rate.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
It's tough to solicit feedback because most issues with the early x1's are already resolved in 2021. Different transmission, updated TCM and sensors. Cargo capacity in the F48 is similar to your old F25. BMW has been good this past generation with updating and fixing issues.

Premature brakepad and tire wear is still an issue as far as I'm aware.

Zzzz
Right, the infamous N20 timing chain fiasco. BMW is wrong not to admit a design issue but it is what it is, at least they are offering a helping hand now that lawyers got involved. IIRC they changed the design for the 2016 model year engines, or something like that.
An X1 would not be a long hauler trip car but still, the cargo space is great for the size of the car and that area under the cargo floor will easily hold a space saver spare tire if we did go out of town. Yeah, I know the whole run flat story, had to deal with that on my X3. Personally, I think run flats and a spare is as good as it will get
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

Love mine...and my service advisor said they don't really have any issues. They just come in for routine maintenance and oil changes.

I've had run flats and non, and am back on run flats at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #9
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

I suggest to be careful about "love at first sight" (haha). The X1 and X5 are in different classes and price points, so it would be good to do a detailed comparison against your personal needs.

I looked into the X1 and X3 and the X1 is indeed spacious on the inside, which is mainly why I decided on it for my own needs. The sport seats option is definitely worth getting, but there are options and features that the X5 has that are not available on the X1. The M-Sport may have better handling and dynamics, but does not have more power/torque, so the X-Line is good for me as a highway cruiser and grocery-getter.

In terms of issues, I don't put on a lot of miles/kms and reliability has been fine. Coming from 6-cylinder cars, I find the 4-cylinder turbo to be just as good overall and I can switch to Sport shift with a flick of the shift knob. I would not worry about past engines, as they are different with changes over time.

Last edited by wcs2229; 07-16-2021 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:20 PM   #10
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

2018 X1 M-Sport here. Purchased new and just turned 40K miles. Only issue is the rough idle at cold start which apparently there is a fix for but I haven't had the time or motivation to take it in.
We love the interior cabin space and the compact exterior, turn radius is by far my favorite thing about this vehicle (mainly cause all the other cars I drive have terrible turn radiuses). The M-sport seats are comfy on long trips, and the ride is excellent. Handles well with KW's too.
OEM run flats wore quickly, have since switched to non-runflats.
Not sure what others experiences with quick brake pad wear is all about. Ours is wearing fairly well. Probably need new rear pads at 50~55K miles. Fronts still have alot of life left in them.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
2018 X1 M-Sport here. Purchased new and just turned 40K miles. Only issue is the rough idle at cold start which apparently there is a fix for but I haven't had the time or motivation to take it in.
We love the interior cabin space and the compact exterior, turn radius is by far my favorite thing about this vehicle (mainly cause all the other cars I drive have terrible turn radiuses). The M-sport seats are comfy on long trips, and the ride is excellent. Handles well with KW's too.
OEM run flats wore quickly, have since switched to non-runflats.
Not sure what others experiences with quick brake pad wear is all about. Ours is wearing fairly well. Probably need new rear pads at 50~55K miles. Fronts still have alot of life left in them.
By any chance, did you have the opportunity to drive the X Line version, just wondering what your comments may be about any seat differences. From what I can tell, the M Sport has leather seats and more aggressive side bolsters but does it also have more cushioning in the lumbar or other seat surfaces than the standard Sensatec seats?

Yeah, am wondering why some state the brake pads wear so soon, I got 80K out of my OEM pads/rotors on my X3. What is KW?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #12
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
By any chance, did you have the opportunity to drive the X Line version, just wondering what your comments may be about any seat differences. From what I can tell, the M Sport has leather seats and more aggressive side bolsters but does it also have more cushioning in the lumbar or other seat surfaces than the standard Sensatec seats?

Yeah, am wondering why some state the brake pads wear so soon, I got 80K out of my OEM pads/rotors on my X3. What is KW?
I couldn't tell you if we drove an X-Line but we did drive one with the Sensatec and hands down you want the leather (at least we did). The Sensatec feels cheap and just looks like fake leather. The M-Sport seats do have lumbar support adjustment (electric). My wife did not like the standard X1 hence why we ended up with the M-Sport. It made that much of a difference to her interior and exterior styling wise. I actually like the standard X1 exterior.

Our X1 is on KW coilovers. Dropped approx. 2.00"+ riding on 235/50-18 Pirelli Scorpions (Volvo spec).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #13
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

To clarify, the sport seats are still an option (in leather or Sensatec) on the X-Line and I have the option. The sport seats are standard on the M-Sport.

The sport seats make a difference and have:

Power seat and back
Power side bolsters
Power lumber support
Manually adjustable thigh support extension
2 memories
Seat heating

Dakota leather is BMW's lowest grade of leather that has been embossed with an artificial grain and coated with a
synthetic polymer paint. It is not the same as you get in the higher models:

http://blogs.youwheel.com/2015/05/03...her-explained/
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2021, 10:13 AM   #14
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all your posts! Whether building the X Line or M Sport, I don’t see an option to change the actual “seats”. I only see options for seating surfaces (sensatec vs leather), leather colors and adding power lumbar. When I choose the M Sport pkg, I do see larger side and seat bolsters and perforated leather at the shoulder area but the basic “seat” looks the same and nothing on the X1 site says anything about having more than just the one basic seat design.

I was hoping to find something that said if you buy this or that, you get a different seat design but unless I missed it, its not the case which is why I was wondering if anyone had either tested or owned both the X Line and the M Sport and could speak to any comfort differences between the two. I’ve search within a couple hundred miles of me and only found one M Sport model on a dealers lot.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #15
Semi Retired
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xline xdrive White

Hi Marty had my 2016 20d xdrive Xline since new, I love the look of the 19inch wheels with RFs but be aware the ride in sports mode can be a bit firm and yes road noise can be a consideration especially on worn rubber. That said I love the car, do go for the electric sports seats with lumber, essential standard seats are awfully. Another for me would be the HUD awesome, I do not like driving without it, the BMW system is second to none. The only issue that I've had other than the common diesel particulate filter failure is now with the idrive/ connected drive crashing since having the screen replaced. Software update required I think, booked into service centre in two weeks. Currently on 33k UK miles. Good luck with any purchase, X1, 3, or 5
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #16
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Retired View Post
Hi Marty had my 2016 20d xdrive Xline since new, I love the look of the 19inch wheels with RFs but be aware the ride in sports mode can be a bit firm and yes road noise can be a consideration especially on worn rubber. That said I love the car, do go for the electric sports seats with lumber, essential standard seats are awfully. Another for me would be the HUD awesome, I do not like driving without it, the BMW system is second to none. The only issue that I've had other than the common diesel particulate filter failure is now with the idrive/ connected drive crashing since having the screen replaced. Software update required I think, booked into service centre in two weeks. Currently on 33k UK miles. Good luck with any purchase, X1, 3, or 5
Hi Semi Retired, Thanks for your input! I used to live in Maidstone, Kent, loved it!! When you say "sports seats", do you mean the seats you get when ordering the M Sport Pkg? Because I did not see any option for ordering different seats by themselves.
Yeah, we both like the HUD. I did find the ride to be firm but considering the short wheelbase, I was prepared for it. Diesel's are no long sold here, we had one when living in Maidstone and bought one upon our return to the US but due to VW Dieselgate, they bought it back and my wife bought the GTi to replace it. The X1, if we go that route, will replace her GTi. However, at this point, her GTi seats are more comfortable than what we drove in the X1 which were Sensatec base seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 01:46 PM   #17
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Marty in NY, you can check out the Premium Package Enhanced:

Attachment 2651956
Attachment 2651957
Attachment 2651958
Attachment 2651959
Attachment 2651960
Attachment 2651961

It has the sport seats and lots of other goodies.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
Marty in NY, you can check out the Premium Package Enhanced:

Attachment 2651956
Attachment 2651957
Attachment 2651958
Attachment 2651959
Attachment 2651960
Attachment 2651961

It has the sport seats and lots of other goodies.
Hmmm, none of those links worked for me but I did check out the Premium pkg, the only thing seat related in there is the power lumbar. I've gone through the build configurator several times looking for anything seat related..not much there.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #19
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Strange ... the links still work for me.

In Canada, there are 2 Premium packages: Premium Essential, Premium Enhanced (with the sport seats). In U.S.A. there seems only to be 1 Premium package.

It may be worth a call to the dealer to ask, in case they have "hidden" variations. Otherwise, I would definitely go M-Sport to get the sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #20
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Those aren't valid links to anything other than attachments to a post, possibly yours? You're probably the only person that can see them.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #21
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Based on the pics you posted, the seats are clearly different. As you pointed out the bolstering is different hence the padding in general will end up holding you differently in the seat. The standard seats look like standard BMW seats which as someone else pointed out are pretty standard and uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #22
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

In Canada, there are 2 Premium packages: Premium Essential, Premium Enhanced (with the sport seats). In U.S.A. there seems only to be 1 Premium package.

It may be worth a call to the dealer to ask, in case they have "hidden" variations. Otherwise, I would definitely go M-Sport to get the sport seats.
When I was at the dealer, I drilled him about the seats after coming back from the test drive. We were both so impressed with the car that I didn't want uncomfortable seats to keep me from buying one but he said those were the only seats offered and if we went with M Sport, its the same seat but with leather and higher side and seat bolstering, he very much doubted the comfort would be any different.
However, we all know that some of us enthusiasts do know more than your everyday dealership which is why I started this post once back from the test drive. So unless someone chimes in that either had or test drove both, it will come down to us finding one at a dealership within driving distance so we can test drive both versions.
Appreciate 0