BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) X2 front brakes: DIY advice appreciated

06-30-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

X2 front brakes: DIY advice appreciated

The X2 (2018, 38k miles) threw a "Time for front brakes: bring your wallet to the dealer" warning on the CC display a few weeks back, and I've been watching the mileage countdown while working to get time to do the job myself.

A few questions

1). Its been about 20 years since I last did brake replacement on a BMW (1998 M3). I'm presuming that not much has changed - pull the wheel, caliper, and rotor. Clean the hub and add new rotor, compress the piston, add new pads with "Auntie Shriek" on the back, put it all back together. Am I missing anything?

2). What are the recommended pads? FCP Euro has Textar OE replacements for $66. RockAuto has PowerStop CF-Ceramic for $33. That seems like a no-contest decision, but is there any reason why I shouldn't consider these pads?

3). Likewise, I can buy the Zimmerman discs from FCP for $127/pr - and I've used Zimmerman before with perfect results - but RA has the Powerstop drilled/slotted front pair for $103. But again, will the X2 pitch a fit?

4). Are there better choices for a daily-driven X2 s28i that likes spirited driving?

What is the verdict, fellow X2 owners?
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Nothing new here.. I have the m35i model so I personally have never played with these particular brakes. The other car is an X1 so that's exactly the same as all the "regular brakes" that come with these cars. Nothing special other than the sensor (which isn't all that special since a lot of the cars have them anyways).

I have never been a brake pad afficianato but have always tried or upgraded to ceramic or mixed when I can and no complaints. Zimmerman is the OE replacement disc.. so with FCP go with that.

I have a soft spot for drilled and slotted rotors myself because I think they look awesome and I still feel they do a better job short term (I would still change the discs every 3 years regardless). Some tracks do not like them unless they are OEM, but I don't hit the track anymore. I also have gotten sets from Callahan brakes online, go read up, they have great reviews and the sets can often be found for DIRT cheap. I got a clearance a year ago for the LAST set for my wife's 16 X1 (which also would be the same as the X2. for $85 shipped for regular blank rotors, semi-metallic pads and a sensor.. I emailed them just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. It's been another 5-10K miles and my wife hasn't noticed a difference nor can I see one.
Appreciate 2
Freiheit492.00
      07-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Oh one thing to note.. if it says you NEED to change your brakes, the sensor is done for.. if it is just recommended brake service then you can reuse the same old sensor.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Ok, I'll be sure to order replacement sensors. I think I still may have some left here from the 640Ci. That would be a laugh if they fit - and worked.

(and when they don't work I'll have to pull the wheels a 2nd time, so no I won't be trying that)
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:53 PM   #5
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

I just ordered a complete set of OE replacement brakes, but the kit didn't come with a sensor or the goo that is supposed to go on the backs of the pads. I'm shopping ECS, apparently the only reputable vendor who carries these sensors, but their system shows that all 3 part numbers for this sensor do not fit my vehicle, even though RealOEM shows those same 3 part numbers for the F39 X2.

Last edited by Freiheit; 07-27-2021 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:11 PM   #6
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Good luck with ECS. Every order has been a nightmare and I even mean local pickup since I live 25 mins away from them. I just order from FCP these days.

I have the X2 M35i and am at 15k miles, I’m dreading doing these brakes. My F33 regular brakes went 48k rears and 62k fronts.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #7
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

I should be ok, I've done the brakes on my E36 M3, and done a few other makes including a complete Wilwood system on a friend's truck.

I forgot about FCP, I don't know why. I have a credit waiting there too, so I can't go wrong with shopping there. Thanks for the reminder.
Appreciate 0