07-18-2021, 03:43 PM   #23
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Based on the pics you posted, the seats are clearly different. As you pointed out the bolstering is different hence the padding in general will end up holding you differently in the seat. The standard seats look like standard BMW seats which as someone else pointed out are pretty standard and uncomfortable.
Its the lumbar portion of the setback that killed me. In the pix I posted, that area of the seat looks the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #24
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Its the lumbar portion of the setback that killed me. In the pix I posted, that area of the seat looks the same to me.
On the M-Sport seats the lumbar is adjustable. It moves up, down, applies pressure, and relieves pressure (flattens out). The side bolsters also are adjustable, they "grip" you or don't. I had to go verify this cause I set it and forget it three years ago LOL.
I should also point out I have several worn discs in my lower back that sometimes give me trouble and these seats are super comfortable for me on long drives.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #25
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On the M-Sport seats the lumbar is adjustable. It moves up, down, applies pressure, and relieves pressure (flattens out). The side bolsters also are adjustable, they "grip" you or don't. I had to go verify this cause I set it and forget it three years ago LOL.
I should also point out I have several worn discs in my lower back that sometimes give me trouble and these seats are super comfortable for me on long drives.
Right, actually the seats in the X1 I drove had the electric lumbar but adjusting it didn't work for me. Everyone's different and who knows, maybe, like when buying a new bed, you get adjusted to it, it just takes time in which case a test drive isn't going to allow for that
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #26
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Right, actually the seats in the X1 I drove had the electric lumbar but adjusting it didn't work for me. Everyone's different and who knows, maybe, like when buying a new bed, you get adjusted to it, it just takes time in which case a test drive isn't going to allow for that
This is just a recommendation but when we take test drives we typically run no less than 60 miles or so. We took a Nissan Leaf to lunch once (and yes we bought a Nissan Leaf). We always take a drive like we are on a routine trip, this even involves going through a drive thru latte shack because yea, we need to know what this new to us car feels like in our real world. We hut back roads, highway, traffic, hard to maneuver areas, etc..
I suggest getting a good drive in on any vehicle you intend to purchase to really know the ins and outs of it. Driving it around the block or just a few miles doesn't give you time to know the things you would like or dislike about the vehicle.
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #27
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is just a recommendation but when we take test drives we typically run no less than 60 miles or so. We took a Nissan Leaf to lunch once (and yes we bought a Nissan Leaf). We always take a drive like we are on a routine trip, this even involves going through a drive thru latte shack because yea, we need to know what this new to us car feels like in our real world. We hut back roads, highway, traffic, hard to maneuver areas, etc..
I suggest getting a good drive in on any vehicle you intend to purchase to really know the ins and outs of it. Driving it around the block or just a few miles doesn't give you time to know the things you would like or dislike about the vehicle.
Makes sense knightarmor, my X1 test drive was mainly highway driving for probably 10-15 miles round trip. In doing a search today, I found an X1 M Sport in Albany, NY and was going to go there today but called to verify and then found out that although it was the M Sport pkg, the seats were sensatec and not leather. I'd rather test drive exactly what I would buy so we didn't go. My next shot is in about five weeks when I am told BMW in Utica NY will have an M Sport with the leather optioned seats.
Ok, in the meantime, I think we are coming to the conclusion that getting the X5 is what we will do first since we still have the wife's GTi to drive as a grocery getter and it still has three years of warranty left on it and if I need to haul something big, the X5 should do it. This will give us time to find the M Sport X1 with the seats I'd like and test drive it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 08:53 PM   #28
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Currently own a 2018 X1 with 72,000 miles on the clock, purchased as a demo. No issues so far and still on original brake rotors although pads were replaced at approximately 40,000 miles. The 4 cylinder performs well and getting 29-30 mpg, most of my travel is highway.

Mine also has the storage underneath the floor in the rear and stores quite a bit. The floor is removable.
Not sure if the rear floor is standard or an option, may have something to do with the non run flat tire option. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Do recommend the sort seats. Mine is not loaded up on options, but it did need to have sport seats. It's not a M Sport but had the sport seats as an option. Sport seats have proven to be quite comfortable and feel they are a bit more comfortable than the sport seats in our X3

good luck with your search.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 09:58 PM   #29
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy View Post
Currently own a 2018 X1 with 72,000 miles on the clock, purchased as a demo. No issues so far and still on original brake rotors although pads were replaced at approximately 40,000 miles. The 4 cylinder performs well and getting 29-30 mpg, most of my travel is highway.

Mine also has the storage underneath the floor in the rear and stores quite a bit. The floor is removable.
Not sure if the rear floor is standard or an option, may have something to do with the non run flat tire option. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Do recommend the sort seats. Mine is not loaded up on options, but it did need to have sport seats. It's not a M Sport but had the sport seats as an option. Sport seats have proven to be quite comfortable and feel they are a bit more comfortable than the sport seats in our X3

I've been through the online configurator many times and cannot find how to order "sport seats". You're saying you have the X Line, correct? Yet you ordered the Sport Seats. Can you go to the online config and maybe post a screen shot of how to order them. Or is it possible that since yours is a 2018, they no longer offer that option? The SA told me the seats are all the same and the only options are leather and M Sport.

If they no longer offer that option, can you describe what makes the seats a "sport" seat? Since this is the area that I was not happy with, I'm really interested to see if I can solve the issue and maybe the seats you get on a 2021 when ordering the M Sport pkg are in fact the sport seats like you have. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 07:32 AM   #30
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
It's tough to solicit feedback because most issues with the early x1's are already resolved in 2021. Different transmission, updated TCM and sensors. Cargo capacity in the F48 is similar to your old F25. BMW has been good this past generation with updating and fixing issues.

Premature brakepad and tire wear is still an issue as far as I'm aware.

Zzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
It's tough to solicit feedback because most issues with the early x1's are already resolved in 2021. Different transmission, updated TCM and sensors. Cargo capacity in the F48 is similar to your old F25. BMW has been good this past generation with updating and fixing issues.

Premature brakepad and tire wear is still an issue as far as I'm aware.

Zzzz
We're there issues with the Trans and TCM? My wife is looking for a used one?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #31
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I've been through the online configurator many times and cannot find how to order "sport seats". You're saying you have the X Line, correct? Yet you ordered the Sport Seats. Can you go to the online config and maybe post a screen shot of how to order them. Or is it possible that since yours is a 2018, they no longer offer that option? The SA told me the seats are all the same and the only options are leather and M Sport.

If they no longer offer that option, can you describe what makes the seats a "sport" seat? Since this is the area that I was not happy with, I'm really interested to see if I can solve the issue and maybe the seats you get on a 2021 when ordering the M Sport pkg are in fact the sport seats like you have. Thanks!
Yes, mine is an X Line.
Could be that the Sport Seat option is no longer available without specifying M Sport

On mine was the following:

S481A SPORT SEATS
S488A LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/PASSENGER
S494A SEAT HEATING DRIVER/PASSENGER

Sport Seat has the thigh extender and adjustable side bolsters

When I purchased mine, very few of the 2018 out there did not have the Sport Seat option, some of the dealer's weren't aware of the option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #32
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, mine is an X Line.
Could be that the Sport Seat option is no longer available without specifying M Sport

On mine was the following:

S481A SPORT SEATS
S488A LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/PASSENGER
S494A SEAT HEATING DRIVER/PASSENGER

Sport Seat has the thigh extender and adjustable side bolsters

When I purchased mine, very few of the 2018 out there did not have the Sport Seat option, some of the dealer's weren't aware of the option.
Thanks SpeedBuggy, I think the sport seats now come standard when ordering the M Sport pkg. I believe your post has cleared that up for me, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #33
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Be aware the M-Sport seats in an M-Sport package will be slightly different in design. These are the ones in our 2018 M-Sport.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 07:13 PM   #34
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

Perhaps I don't know what I'm missing, but I find the regular seats in my MY2021 xline quite comfortable. I'm also glad I got the leather, if nothing else for the smell. In terms of premium feeling or not, I guess it depends on where you're coming from. In my case, a 2005 325i, so this 2021 feels quite premium to me. Absolutely love the HUD, as well as ACC. I'm sure blind sport warning would be nice to have, but since I've never had it, I don't miss it. I have been surprised at how much I get value from the lane departure warning feature. Wireless CarPlay works great (if you're an iOS user). 6 months in, and still quite happy with my X1.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #35
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Be aware the M-Sport seats in an M-Sport package will be slightly different in design. These are the ones in our 2018 M-Sport.
I like the looks of your seat. The proof for me will be when I can find an M Sport with the leather option to try out. I'm sure its my back that is the issue but need to know I can find a way to adjust it that works for me. Thanks for posting that pic.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #36
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Going back to the original request of this topic, does anyone have any more issues that might seem chronic on the F48?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:05 AM   #37
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Going back to the original request of this topic, does anyone have any more issues that might seem chronic on the F48?
The number of other BMW owners that will loudly state "but it's not a REAL BMW" comes to mind
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 06:48 AM   #38
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I bought my 2017 at 8K miles - it has 28K miles now

One of the fuel tank sensor died - replaced by warranty
Sunroof stuck open - replaced by warranty
Sunroof stuck open again after 49 months - parts warranty was 48 months but Tulley BMW (Nashua - Awarded by best BMW dealer 5 times in a row ) contacted with BMW North America to use their good will customer to cover the entire sunroof - otherwise I would be paying 3-4K
Front brake pads worn at 22K miles - which is typical X1 issue
X1 seats were borrowed from MINI - customers complained a lot about the size of regular seats so BMW had to change in LCI update. If you go with sports seats (same as in MINI Cooper) they are very good

Other than that, I used 2007 328xi, 2014 335 X-Drive (worst BMW ever), MINI Cooper S and this X1

F48 X1 handles like BMW, especially electric steering wheel -
They use some fake things such as engine RPM cutoff seems at 7000 which is not true - it cuts off at 6500
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #39
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just want to thank those who contributed to this topic, all in all, it would appear owners are happy with the overall reliability of their F48 and the only topic to "sort of" hit a disappoint level are the short life brake pads. For me, I still need to find an M Sport version I can test drive in order to see if the seats are going to work for us. In the meantime, the X2 has caught my wife's eye so will post the same question to the F39 owners and hopefully the cargo space under the cargo cover and below the cargo deck are the same as the X1. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 01:37 PM   #40
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Interesting.. My 2017 Msport leather are slightly different. (2016 build date) The back is perforated leather with a bit of a pattern to them. Black seats with blue stitching and a little m logo flag on the back.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #41
cg92
Rep
Drives: x1 f48

I have the standard leather seats with the more rounded end to them and find it extremely comfortable anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #42
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg92 View Post
I have the standard leather seats with the more rounded end to them and find it extremely comfortable anyway
I'm sure they are fine for most people, I blame it on our aching backs and possibly the day we took the test drive wasn't the best day as we were both very physical active the day before doing concrete, pavers, sand and shoveling. Ha ha, probably a recipe for disaster but that said, we also drove an X5 right after the X1 and our backs did not hurt in the X5 seats so I do put some of the blame on the X1 seats as they are quite a bit thinner and firmer than those in the X5.

I'm not trying to compare the two, you get what you pay for is all I'm saying. So, I am trying to find an M Sport X1 with the sport seats within a reasonable driving distance but so far, no go. I think by now everyone knows what the car market looks like - a train wreck - so it might take a while since most dealerships do not order the M Sport Pkg and leather sport seats for a car that will sit on their lot. If I were near a large city, it would be a different story.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:00 PM   #43
SPARTANVI
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i, 328i Msport

My wife's only real complaint about this model is that the thigh supports protrude a bit too much for "short people." Its telescoping and even when completely folded, her thigh sits on it awkwardly.

Other than that personal issue, our research (and the dealer's testimonial) is that the brake pads wear extremely fast. Some report changing them within 15-20K miles, so we'll be looking into a brake system upgrade when the time comes.

On a personal note, I think the 225 width tires on our Msport look a little whimpy for this car. IDK the maximum width it supports, but when that time comes, we'll be looking into wrap 245 or 255s on this car, if possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #44
Randall2314
Rep
Drives: 2019 330, 81 320i

Quote:
Just want to thank those who contributed to this topic, all in all, it would appear owners are happy with the overall reliability of their F48 and the only topic to "sort of" hit a disappoint level are the short life brake pads. For me, I still need to find an M Sport version I can test drive in order to see if the seats are going to work for us. In the meantime, the X2 has caught my wife's eye so will post the same question to the F39 owners and hopefully the cargo space under the cargo cover and below the cargo deck are the same as the X1. Thanks all!
I just bought a 2021 X1, F48 and it has lumbar support listed as an option (also other things like Head up display and cornering lights) but it does have the Sensatac seats. That being said, I traded my 2018 430i with M sport and Premium seats because they hurt my back and my wife's. We only drove to and from our little town (12 miles) and it hurt her. I went and test drove a 2021 X1 because it sat higher than my 430i Gran Coupe and it made a world of difference. We just went on a trip that was 12 hours one way and back and we had NO issue with comfort. That's my opinion. I loved the 430i but this X1 has delivered comfort, fuel economy (33-36 mpg) and still has the same twin turbo I enjoyed in my 430i. I miss that car but this has been the best replacement I could imagine.
Appreciate 2