BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Looking at 2016 BMW X1 with 42k miles

07-20-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
drewchew
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Looking at 2016 BMW X1 with 42k miles

Hello Everyone! First Post!

Going to pick up a used 2016 BMW X1 from Carvana this Friday and I am beyond excited. This will be my first BMW and first luxury vehicle. I've been looking everywhere trying to gather what I might be in for since I see people always commenting on the cost of ownership and reliability. From what I see this vehicle has actually scored and reviewed pretty well in it's class and in general. I was wondering if anyone had some advice, or what to expect from this BMW at this age and miles. I want to do right and take care of it, so it can last a long time and bring joy to my Fiancé and I for years to come. Seeing all the pictures and enthusiasm on this forum makes me even more excited.

TLDR: What can someone expect with a used 2016 BMW X1 with 42k miles

Thanks,
Drew
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Congrats and good luck! I would say just read around and see how your car behaves.. it's all unknown what luck you have or how the previous owner treated it. In general things will be very nice, but once problems creep up, deal with it.. and hopefully you have a competent mechanic at hand. First rule is: Scan for codes, not just read out what the car says. We have a '16 with a little more miles than that since new, and we've had absolutely no problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #3
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

i purchased a '16 with 27k about 15-16 months ago. i'm only at 38k but I had a bad eac sensor which required an entire radiator replacement but that is just bad luck - not a common issue.

besides that - the usual brake pads, brake fluid flush, oil changes, & tire rotation. No other issues!

This was my first BMW, too, and veeeeeery happy!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 05:24 AM   #4
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewchew View Post
Hello Everyone! First Post!

Going to pick up a used 2016 BMW X1 from Carvana this Friday and I am beyond excited. This will be my first BMW and first luxury vehicle. I've been looking everywhere trying to gather what I might be in for since I see people always commenting on the cost of ownership and reliability. From what I see this vehicle has actually scored and reviewed pretty well in it's class and in general. I was wondering if anyone had some advice, or what to expect from this BMW at this age and miles. I want to do right and take care of it, so it can last a long time and bring joy to my Fiancé and I for years to come. Seeing all the pictures and enthusiasm on this forum makes me even more excited.

TLDR: What can someone expect with a used 2016 BMW X1 with 42k miles

Thanks,
Drew
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Others have mentioned brakes and the forum itself covers many common problems so TLDR aside I suggest you spend some time reading. One thing I will mention as you may believe you have bought a 4x4 luxury off-roader, beware the maximum height of water you can safely drive through is only 9.8 inches and then at maximum -speed of 3 mph. If you drive through water over 6 inches deep at too high a speed then you are risking severe engine damage because the air intake is low and will suck up water . A new forum member trashed a newish X1 fairly recently by trying to follow a string of cars through some flood water running across the road, they made it, he needed a complete new engine. The X1 is a nice car, it is not an offroader SUV.
Appreciate 0