BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tire questions from a tire novice! Please help!

01-25-2022, 08:35 PM   #23
oliviahh
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
He's talking about another model, the X2, with M-Sport brakes, that are bigger than regular ones. You don't have to worry about that. Your X1 has regular brakes.
Thanks for that clarification! My mind is at ease now.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:41 PM   #24
oliviahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich807 View Post
Are you sure the tires on your car as 'summer' tires? Even if they are, summer tires generally outperform all-season tires pretty much across the board (wet traction, dry traction, noise) with the obvious exception of snow/ice. Summer tire do not mean 'sunshine tire'. Summer rubber works extremely well in rain.

How many times have you had a flat? How many times have you had a '2-second flat' (as in not repairable via fix-a-flat or plug kit at place of flat)? In other words are you putting a lot of worry into something that hasn't happened to you & might not ever?

Do not buy tires from the dealer unless you have some sort of hook up with them (price match or whatnot) or unless your local alternatives for mounting / balancing are horrid (as in you're afraid the local fly-by-night tire place will damage your wheels & have reason to believe that to be so).

The rule of thumb is that non-run-flats out perform run-flats in almost every regard. You're generally going to be sacrificing some performance but if you need that ultimate piece of mind then fine. But then again, are you really pushing your car that hard that you'd notice a performance difference? I'm guessing you're not. What the average driver can & will usually be able to notice is a difference in ride quality & noise. For me, I can't stand run-flats. I panned them in my X5 when I had it & could not have been more happy. I'm counting the days when I can crap-can the run-flats on my X2.

Read reviews on tires you might be interested in. Reviews from consumers that is.

All-season designation is by nature a compromise. All seasons have to be a jack of all trades. If you live where you get snow & ice & you can't afford separate sets of seasonal tires, then you have to go with all-seasons. Personally I wouldn't compound that fact with lumping run-flats on top of all-seasons but that's just me. I'm totally ok with carrying a can of fix-a-flat & a plug kit. At the risk of jinxing myself I'm going to say I haven't had to use either while running cars without spare tires. I've had nails, bolts, & screws in my tires but never to the point I wasn't either home or was able to get to the tire shop for a patch. To each / his or her own though!
Just curious, but if you don't carry a spare what would do you do if you have a flat or leak?

I just ordered non-run flats that are getting installed in two days. My husband doesn't think I need to worry about get a donut right away or anytime soon. He says to hold off on that and that he'll give me the air compressor from his Jeep Wrangler for me to keep in my car and he says I should get a fix a flat/plug. He makes it sound so easy but I'm the one that would have to fix it if I wasn't in a cell area where I could call AAA or BMW roadside assistance!! LOL

Just how easy is it to fix a flat on the road if I've never done it before?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:48 PM   #25
oliviahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
I put together a spare tire and jack kit for my x2. I know it won't fit the front over the m brakes so if I get a front flat, I need to put the spare on the rear and move a rear to the front.

I wanted Michelin CrossClimate2 tires but ended up with the Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. They're awesome! We're in the middle of a snow storm in Ohio and no issues.

I always ditch the runflats as soon as I can.
So I realize you didn't get the cross climates but I'm curious if you think there is a big difference between touring all-season vs ultra performance all season? I just had the tire shop order the Continental DWS 6 Plus for me to install on Thursday but I keep wondering if maybe the Cross Climate SUV is a better fit for me. I want something that performs well in snow (knowing full well it's not a winter tire) but that also maintains the sporty handling and feel of the car. I guess I got the impression that ultra performance tires are the way to go but is there really a noticeable difference if I were to call the shop and have them order the cross climate SUV instead?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:00 PM   #26
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I switched to a 235/50-18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde (Volvo Spec) specifically because I did not want to switch to winter tires anymore on the F48. This tire comes on the S60 Cross Country from 2016 and is phenomenal in snow. I drove through two extreme snow condition nights over our passes here in Washington and was simply amazed at how well these tires performed on the Volvo. So much I got them for the F48. This is a upsize tire from stock (225/50-18) but fits nicely in the wheel wells. This tire is also available in a 19" (235/45-19) which I imagine would fit snugly into the F48's wheel wells.
After the snow winter we had here back in December I can gladly say they performed just as good on the F48's X-Drive setup. This is the only tire I can attest to being as close to a snow tire without getting a dedicated snow tire for your vehicle.
This tire also performs great in dry and wet conditions and is much more comfortable than the run flats and Pirelli snow tires I used to run on the F48.
Get the BMW mobility kit, it has a compressor. This is what I got for our F48.

It appears Volvo used a different tire on the 19" setup of the Cross Country. They're calling out Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico NCS as the OE tire for the 19" wheel. Just to clarify.

Last edited by knightarmor; 01-25-2022 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:10 PM   #27
oliviahh
Rep

Quote:
When I bought my second-hand X1, I put a new set of P7 Cinturatto Runflat (OEM tires). Worse tires ever had - hydroplaned in any puddle of water.

The second time, I ditch run-flats, and I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (summer version, not all-season, we don't have snow around here). Much better grip in all conditions, especially while raining. The downside, of course, is that you need a spare tire. At the same time, after several years, I never had a flat. Take a look at this threat for non-run-flats tires recommendations: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1729957

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06) is a really great choice as an All-Season regular tire (i.e. non-run-flat).

I would also recommend fitting a wider tire. For example, if you have OEM 19" wheels, you can put up to a 245/40 tire.
Just curious, but what would be the reason or advantage to putting a bigger/wider tire on the stock 19" wheels? Is clearance not a concern by going bigger than stock size?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:50 PM   #28
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviahh View Post
Just curious, but what would be the reason or advantage to putting a bigger/wider tire on the stock 19" wheels? Is clearance not a concern by going bigger than stock size?
A wider tire will give you better stability/traction. Traction isn't an issue with the X1 since it doesn't have any power. Stability I'd say is the best improvement. The factory M-Sport suspension is so jerky the vehicle needs a bit more stability, especially at speed (hence why I lowered ours). As long as you don't put too large a tire on clearance should not be an issue. For example if you went up to the 235/45-19, that's only 10mm wider and a few mm taller. You actually get a few mm of ground clearance.

Keep in mind this is in a perfect world where the actual number sizes are equal, not all tires are created equal and not all manufacturers make their tires the same exact dimensions as another.
For example a michelin in a 235/45-19 may not be the same actual physical size as a Continental 235/45-19. To make things more complicated a certain model of a tire may also be slightly different than another in the same brand. Yes, it's that complicated. The best thing to do is not overthink it when making a selection such as you are trying to do and just roll the dice. Everyone here will have a different opinion on which tire to recommend based on their experiences. Only you will know if you think you made the correct decision once you're out in the wild on your new tires!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 06:31 AM   #29
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
noticeable difference if I were to call the shop and have them order the cross climate SUV instead?
I dunno. I really love the performance of the PAS4S tires but now that winter is here, I should've went with the CrossClimate2s. I never looked at the CrossClimate SUVs. I believe the CrossClimate would do better in our winters. I keep forgetting that I'm not driving a sporty car anymore and consider my X2 M35i the grandma mobile. I got it to cart my dogs and grandkids around.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:35 AM   #30
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
As knightarmor mentioned: traction, stability and, of course, a better look .

Stock X1 doesn't have much power, but mine is close to 300HP to the wheels, so OEM tires were a disappointment. I lost traction constantly. That's why I changed rims and tires, fitting a 255/40r19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (see attached image). And, of course, I lowered it too to improve handling as well. You know, I don't have to worry about snow around here, so ground clearance isn't essential.

Talking about clearance, it's all about proportions. If you put a wider tire, you need to narrow the side (%) slightly to keep the same total wheel ratio. It can get trickier when changing rims, but that isn't the case now. And at the same time, here in the forum, you can see multiple configurations of wheels, and you can ask us anything .

For example, check this link: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=43. Another user put the same tires you bought but wider (245/40r19) on stock rims, with no issues at all.

Oh, BTW, I'm glad you chose the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. You will love them! And yes, there is a LOT of difference between touring all-season vs. ultra-performance all-season. UP tires are much better.

Finally, I strongly advise you to get the donut ASAP. The air compressor may help you if the puncture is really tiny. But if it's bigger, the tire won't hold the air inside, and you will need to replace it.
Attached Images

01-26-2022, 07:28 PM   #31
oliviahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
I dunno. I really love the performance of the PAS4S tires but now that winter is here, I should've went with the CrossClimate2s. I never looked at the CrossClimate SUVs. I believe the CrossClimate would do better in our winters. I keep forgetting that I'm not driving a sporty car anymore and consider my X2 M35i the grandma mobile. I got it to cart my dogs and grandkids around.
I had a Volkswagen Tiguan prior to this and my husband's car is a lifted Jeep Wrangler off road beast so for me the X1 feels sportier than anything I've owned previous... but I know what you mean. LOL
Appreciate 1
chowser511993.00
      01-27-2022, 10:31 AM   #32
oliviahh
Rep

Quote:

Stock X1 doesn't have much power, but mine is close to 300HP to the wheels, so OEM tires were a disappointment. I lost traction constantly. That's why I changed rims and tires, fitting a 255/40r19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (see attached image). And, of course, I lowered it too to improve handling as well. You know, I don't have to worry about snow around here, so ground clearance isn't essential.

Talking about clearance, it's all about proportions. If you put a wider tire, you need to narrow the side (%) slightly to keep the same total wheel ratio. It can get trickier when changing rims, but that isn't the case now. And at the same time, here in the forum, you can see multiple configurations of wheels, and you can ask us anything .

For example, check this link: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=43. Another user put the same tires you bought but wider (245/40r19) on stock rims, with no issues at all.

Oh, BTW, I'm glad you chose the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. You will love them! And yes, there is a LOT of difference between touring all-season vs. ultra-performance all-season. UP tires are much better.

Finally, I strongly advise you to get the donut ASAP. The air compressor may help you if the puncture is really tiny. But if it's bigger, the tire won't hold the air inside, and you will need to replace it.
In hindsight I probably should have gotten a different SUV with all the different places I drive to and where my outdoor activities take me too! Oh well - I need to stick and work with what I have for now. The wheels/tires seem to really be the main sticking point for me.

Regarding the spare, I found an already assembled and mounted wheel and tire for a few dollars less than what the dealer quoted me for the wheel and tire before mounting (they will mount for $30). Seems like a good deal and it appears to be oem spare wheel.

Is this a good and legit company to order from???
The fully assembled spare tire would just get shipped to my house making it very convenient. I would just need to pick up a jack and wrench.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...bmw-spare-tire
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:44 AM   #33
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Just curious, but if you don't carry a spare what would do you do if you have a flat or leak?
Call Roadside assistance or AAA, that's what I would do.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:53 AM   #34
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Quote:
In hindsight I probably should have gotten a different SUV with all the different places I drive to and where my outdoor activities take me too! Oh well - I need to stick and work with what I have for now. The wheels/tires seem to really be the main sticking point for me.

Regarding the spare, I found an already assembled and mounted wheel and tire for a few dollars less than what the dealer quoted me for the wheel and tire before mounting (they will mount for $30). Seems like a good deal and it appears to be oem spare wheel.

Is this a good and legit company to order from???
The fully assembled spare tire would just get shipped to my house making it very convenient. I would just need to pick up a jack and wrench.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...bmw-spare-tire
Yes, buy with confidence. Turner Motorsport is a well-known and respected provider. The other one you should keep in mind if you need parts in the future is ECS Tuning (https://www.ecstuning.com/). Ii has a wide range of pieces for multiple brands.

Talking about the X1, I think we all agree it's more like a "city car" rather than an off-road truck, hehe. But, you know, it's always a tradeoff. A more off-road truck probably won't give you that luxury and sporty feel.

But not everything is lost. For example, if you need more road clearance, you can probably install taller springs to lift it a little more (~30mm) at a very reasonable price (~250 USD). Eibach has some pro-lift kits, but I'm not sure if they are available for the US version of the X1 (F48). Anyway, there should be other providers that offer a lift kit.
      01-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #35
oliviahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Call Roadside assistance or AAA, that's what I would do.
That’s my plan, as I have both, as long as I’m in an area with cell service which more often than not. I’ll certainly need a space saver spare for the times when I am not in cell range - which happens from time to time as I drive everywhere, over passes and into the mountains.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 09:35 AM   #36
dantis496
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

I wish I had Cross Climate 2's for this weekend

Side Note: My son had his GF buy some for her Honda. Those are nice tires...

Attached Images

01-28-2022, 09:51 AM   #37
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantis496 View Post
I wish I had Cross Climate 2's for this weekend

Side Note: My son had his GF buy some for her Honda. Those are nice tires...

I was in Boston for the last major storm, back in Jan/Feb 2015… and this looks just as bad if not worse. Make sure to stock up on toilet paper!
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2022, 09:52 AM   #38
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Damn 300 to the wheels, so 340 to the crank? What tune are you running and do you have some dyno graphs?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #39
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post
Damn 300 to the wheels, so 340 to the crank? What tune are you running and do you have some dyno graphs?
Hi ventkock, I'm getting there! Haha, or it will blow up xD, who knows.

I didn't do a Dyno with the latest modifications, so I guess I should be around 290hp-ish to the wheels. After changing the pipes, I installed a JB4 on top of the ECU tune. At least I can feel much more punch while driving, but maybe I'm wrong, and that won't be reflected in the dyno . Anyway, we are still playing with the setup, and at the same time, waiting for a new aFe intake. I currently have a K&N CAI, which sounds great, but you know, it is soaking hot air, and after a couple of runs, the numbers drop. So, after that, I will go back to the dyno to see the results, using higher octane gasoline too.

I have some shots from a previous run when I installed the tune, on stock wheels and stock intake. I'm attaching a picture from the first 3 runs of that day. It was very tricky because it was raining, and it wasn't easy to get full traction. At the end, when everything was dry, we got 277hp to the wheels and 322hp to the crank.

My tune was installed directly by a BMW dealer. Which, you know, I'm pretty sure it's basically a JCW tune. Probably the same you can get using Autotuner or similar. But they gave me a great discount, and I didn't lose the warranty.

Bottom line, I know I'm close to the limits. The transmission won't give me much more. At the same time, mine is a sDrive, so I lose a lot of traction too. I will probably install a downpipe, only if it doesn't give me trouble with emission regulations.
Attached Images

01-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #40
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi ventkock, I'm getting there! Haha, or it will blow up xD, who knows.

I didn't do a Dyno with the latest modifications, so I guess I should be around 290hp-ish to the wheels. After changing the pipes, I installed a JB4 on top of the ECU tune. At least I can feel much more punch while driving, but maybe I'm wrong, and that won't be reflected in the dyno . Anyway, we are still playing with the setup, and at the same time, waiting for a new aFe intake. I currently have a K&N CAI, which sounds great, but you know, it is soaking hot air, and after a couple of runs, the numbers drop. So, after that, I will go back to the dyno to see the results, using higher octane gasoline too.

I have some shots from a previous run when I installed the tune, on stock wheels and stock intake. I'm attaching a picture from the first 3 runs of that day. It was very tricky because it was raining, and it wasn't easy to get full traction. At the end, when everything was dry, we got 277hp to the wheels and 322hp to the crank.

My tune was installed directly by a BMW dealer. Which, you know, I'm pretty sure it's basically a JCW tune. Probably the same you can get using Autotuner or similar. But they gave me a great discount, and I didn't lose the warranty.

Bottom line, I know I'm close to the limits. The transmission won't give me much more. At the same time, mine is a sDrive, so I lose a lot of traction too. I will probably install a downpipe, only if it doesn't give me trouble with emission regulations.
Nice numbers! I know that Dervtech will push some JCW F series MINIs to 320 at the crank as well so you should be ok. (https://www.dervtech.com/minif5x).

That's amazing that you got a tune without it affecting the warranty. I just got into a M340i last month and I want a tune on it, but I still have 28 months left of warranty remaining. My only option would be a very tame ECU flash from Dinan to have some kind of warranty on the engine.
      01-28-2022, 04:05 PM   #41
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post
Nice numbers! I know that Dervtech will push some JCW F series MINIs to 320 at the crank as well so you should be ok. (https://www.dervtech.com/minif5x).

That's amazing that you got a tune without it affecting the warranty. I just got into a M340i last month and I want a tune on it, but I still have 28 months left of warranty remaining. My only option would be a very tame ECU flash from Dinan to have some kind of warranty on the engine.
Thanks for the info!

BTW, did you try talking with the dealer? I mean, probably is going to be costly, but I'm sure they can do it, especially considering the DME lock your M340 surely has. And if they do it, they will keep your warranty.