BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tire questions from a tire novice! Please help!

01-10-2022, 09:40 AM   #1
oliviahh
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 MSport

Tire questions from a tire novice! Please help!

I'm hoping someone here can help me decide how to choose the right tires for my X1 as I know very little about tires and perhaps cars in general. I have a 2018 X1 with the M sport 19" wheel package. I purchased the car pre-owned nearly a year ago.The tires that came with the car are summer performance tires - run flat OEM basically.

It's time for me to buy new tires for a few reasons. I absolutely need all-seasons. These OEMs are not cutting it for me in rain and in colder temps. I do lots of winter activities and I don't feel confident or comfortable taking this thing out to the mountains. I can't get winter tires because I cannot afford to buy a new set of wheels and there is nowhere for me to store them. I'm likely going to stick with run-flats because I honestly don't know what I would do if I was in an area with no cell service and had a tire issue. The run flats give me peace of mind.

What I'm basically wondering is this:
1) Does purchasing OEM tires from BMW make a difference in handling/performance of the car?

2) Any recommendations for good all-season run flats for 19" option 225/45/R19 without sacrificing performance?

3)How important is the speed rating? Does that really matter?

Thx in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

1. Don't buy the tires from BMW, go with TireRack or Discount tire

2. You can read the reviews of various tires online. I've been pretty happy with my Bridgestone Potenza S001's 225/45r19 92W. They do well in the PNW, decent on snow and soaked roads.

3. Important, check with the seller or tire shop
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviahh View Post

What I'm basically wondering is this:

1) Does purchasing OEM tires from BMW make a difference in handling/performance of the car?

2) Any recommendations for good all-season run flats for 19" option 225/45/R19 without sacrificing performance?

3)How important is the speed rating? Does that really matter?

Thx in advance!
Are you sure the tires on your car as 'summer' tires? Even if they are, summer tires generally outperform all-season tires pretty much across the board (wet traction, dry traction, noise) with the obvious exception of snow/ice. Summer tire do not mean 'sunshine tire'. Summer rubber works extremely well in rain.

How many times have you had a flat? How many times have you had a '2-second flat' (as in not repairable via fix-a-flat or plug kit at place of flat)? In other words are you putting a lot of worry into something that hasn't happened to you & might not ever?

Do not buy tires from the dealer unless you have some sort of hook up with them (price match or whatnot) or unless your local alternatives for mounting / balancing are horrid (as in you're afraid the local fly-by-night tire place will damage your wheels & have reason to believe that to be so).

The rule of thumb is that non-run-flats out perform run-flats in almost every regard. You're generally going to be sacrificing some performance but if you need that ultimate piece of mind then fine. But then again, are you really pushing your car that hard that you'd notice a performance difference? I'm guessing you're not. What the average driver can & will usually be able to notice is a difference in ride quality & noise. For me, I can't stand run-flats. I panned them in my X5 when I had it & could not have been more happy. I'm counting the days when I can crap-can the run-flats on my X2.

Read reviews on tires you might be interested in. Reviews from consumers that is.

All-season designation is by nature a compromise. All seasons have to be a jack of all trades. If you live where you get snow & ice & you can't afford separate sets of seasonal tires, then you have to go with all-seasons. Personally I wouldn't compound that fact with lumping run-flats on top of all-seasons but that's just me. I'm totally ok with carrying a can of fix-a-flat & a plug kit. At the risk of jinxing myself I'm going to say I haven't had to use either while running cars without spare tires. I've had nails, bolts, & screws in my tires but never to the point I wasn't either home or was able to get to the tire shop for a patch. To each / his or her own though!
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #4
shadows
Rep
Drives: x2 m35i

To echo what has been said, you do not OEM tires.

I just went through the same process after purchasing an X2 recently. There are only 12 options (all-season, summer, winter) in the 225/45/R19 if you want to stay with run-flats.

Unfortunately it is entirely up to you and how you drive. Based on your location, why not get a full winter set (wheels and tires) and then get some summers in a few months? Got my set mounted for $35 compared to $100+ for swapping tires on the same wheels with balancing.

The X2 I got has the ProContact TX SSR and I am debating taking them off the stock wheels before the end of the winter as I hated them for the one week I had them on the car before switching to a winter set.

The only other all-season run-flat on tire rack are the Cinturato P7 All Seasons. They seem OKAY based on the reviews.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...=Runflat+Tires

I am currently debating staying with the all season ProContact and switching to full summers and going with the P Zero Run Flats PZ4.

Take your time and research as many things are weeks and months out due to the state of the world.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwheelsdriven View Post

2. You can read the reviews of various tires online. I've been pretty happy with my Bridgestone Potenza S001's 225/45r19 92W. They do well in the PNW, decent on snow and soaked roads.

Excellent response !

Keep in mind this is a good time to switch to non run flat tires! They are much cheaper and as mentioned preform much better!
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2022, 03:05 PM   #6
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

I'll never forget working with the local dealer on my GF's e46.

"Would you like us to replace the tires, they are at 30% left?"

Are you kidding, who buys tires from the dealer? I guess if you are rolling in cash and are running out of pillow cases to put it in...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #7
oliviahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwheelsdriven View Post

I've been looking on TireRack for a while now and my options for run-flats seem very limited. My current tires are the same Bridgestone's that you have. They are ok but I lost count how many times my car hydroplaned a few months ago when I drove in torrential rain on I-5 between the Bay Area and Seattle. It was not fun. That's when I decided I needed to get new tires, especially since two of my tires are pretty worn down.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 12:16 PM   #8
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
I've been looking on TireRack for a while now and my options for run-flats seem very limited. My current tires are the same Bridgestone's that you have. They are ok but I lost count how many times my car hydroplaned a few months ago when I drove in torrential rain on I-5 between the Bay Area and Seattle. It was not fun. That's when I decided I needed to get new tires, especially since two of my tires are pretty worn down.
When I bought my second-hand X1, I put a new set of P7 Cinturatto Runflat (OEM tires). Worse tires ever had - hydroplaned in any puddle of water.

The second time, I ditch run-flats, and I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (summer version, not all-season, we don't have snow around here). Much better grip in all conditions, especially while raining. The downside, of course, is that you need a spare tire. At the same time, after several years, I never had a flat. Take a look at this threat for non-run-flats tires recommendations: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1729957

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06) is a really great choice as an All-Season regular tire (i.e. non-run-flat).

I would also recommend fitting a wider tire. For example, if you have OEM 19" wheels, you can put up to a 245/40 tire.
      01-19-2022, 01:29 PM   #9
oliviahh
Rep

I have been giving this a lot of thought - it seems everyone here always suggest non-run flats over flats. I'm sure most of you here would know what to do in a flat tire situation. LOL I don't really know, other than call AAA unless I'm in an area with no service. That's what makes me nervous - knowing my luck that would happen to me. But..I do have that BMW assistance button on the car - does that actually work via GPS or do I have to be in a cell service area??

Additionally, does anyone here use a space saver spare? Does it fit nicely in that extra bottom compartment and if so, does it little some extra room for smaller items next to it? Is it easy to change the tire with the space Saver? I haven't changed a tire since I was 17 and that was in the 90s with my dad supervising!

Lastly, where do you buy a space saver spare kit? Can I just order one from the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:23 PM   #10
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

oliviahh,

In context of a flat tire situation, I think posing this question on a car forum will invite biased opinions towards non-run flats as there are likely a greater percentage of members that are more mechanically inclined, thus able to do a roadside spare tire change.

There are benefits to run flats. One major plus is the ability to continue driving with a specific type of puncture (e.g., on the center tread) under limited conditions and speeds to a safe area. You should definitely consider sticking with run flats if this is a major concern.

I was also on run flats until recently, but carried a space saver spare early on as I've had bad experiences with flat tires over the years. I now prepare for the worst.

There were complete kits online the last time I searched, but I went the route of buying the BMW spare rim only (part # 36116851507) and got a 135/90R17 Kumho T121 SL tire mounted. It fits well with no clearance issues in the trunk's bottom compartment space. I'm able to stack other slim items (jumper cables, compact jumper pack, etc) on top of the rim. I also have several items in the space around the spare (portable air compressor, tools, scissor jack, first aid kit, small shovel, tire plug kit, etc).

From monetary perspective, getting a spare kit through the dealer would be pretty expensive. I was able to cut down on the cost by building my own. For safety reasons, I highly recommend you find a way to secure the spare.

A spare wheel thread with more information: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...are+wheel+hole

A roadside spare wheel swap for the X1 isn't much different than any other car if you have the right tools. Changing a tire now is likely much the same as it was when you were 17. Main concerns are jacking up the car properly by the designated lift point and being aware the X1 has a lug bolt design, not lug nut. Installation can be a bit trickier trying to balance and line up the wheel while threading the first lug bolt in.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:13 PM   #11
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
oliviahh,

In context of a flat tire situation, I think posing this question on a car forum will invite biased opinions towards non-run flats as there are likely a greater percentage of members that are more mechanically inclined, thus able to do a roadside spare tire change.

There are benefits to run flats. One major plus is the ability to continue driving with a specific type of puncture (e.g., on the center tread) under limited conditions and speeds to a safe area. You should definitely consider sticking with run flats if this is a major concern.

I was also on run flats until recently, but carried a space saver spare early on as I've had bad experiences with flat tires over the years. I now prepare for the worst.

There were complete kits online the last time I searched, but I went the route of buying the BMW spare rim only (part # 36116851507) and got a 135/90R17 Kumho T121 SL tire mounted. It fits well with no clearance issues in the trunk's bottom compartment space. I'm able to stack other slim items (jumper cables, compact jumper pack, etc) on top of the rim. I also have several items in the space around the spare (portable air compressor, tools, scissor jack, first aid kit, small shovel, tire plug kit, etc).

From monetary perspective, getting a spare kit through the dealer would be pretty expensive. I was able to cut down on the cost by building my own. For safety reasons, I highly recommend you find a way to secure the spare.

A spare wheel thread with more information: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...are+wheel+hole

A roadside spare wheel swap for the X1 isn't much different than any other car if you have the right tools. Changing a tire now is likely much the same as it was when you were 17. Main concerns are jacking up the car properly by the designated lift point and being aware the X1 has a lug bolt design, not lug nut. Installation can be a bit trickier trying to balance and line up the wheel while threading the first lug bolt in.
I agree with Skyline. We all share our experiences and recommendations, but they can be biased.

Run-flats are great, but they won't give you everything; there's always a tradeoff. They will give you extra confidence if you have a puncture, but they won't give you full performance, even less if we talk about all-season tires. At the same time, you said it yourself: there aren't a lot of All Season run-flat tires available for 225/45r19.

I guess if I wanted to keep run-flats (summer) for 225/45r19, I would go with Pirelli P-Zero PZ4 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...245WR9PZ4XLRFT or Michelin (if available in your size). The PZ4 are the new and improved P-Zeros. The previous P-Zeros wasn't great, but these new ones will handle heavy rain and little snow pretty well.

You can see a summary video here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=435YR9PZ4XL

And a complete comparison with other summer tires here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=269

Did you go to any local tire shop? Perhaps they can give you more information face-to-face.
      01-20-2022, 08:26 AM   #12
dantis496
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Who mounts them?

When you guys purchase from Tire Rack etc., who do you go too for mounting? Someone who won't damage the rims or over tourque the lug bolts? Thank you
      01-23-2022, 03:42 PM   #13
oliviahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
I agree with Skyline. We all share our experiences and recommendations, but they can be biased.

Run-flats are great, but they won't give you everything; there's always a tradeoff. They will give you extra confidence if you have a puncture, but they won't give you full performance, even less if we talk about all-season tires. At the same time, you said it yourself: there aren't a lot of All Season run-flat tires available for 225/45r19.

I guess if I wanted to keep run-flats (summer) for 225/45r19, I would go with Pirelli P-Zero PZ4 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...245WR9PZ4XLRFT or Michelin (if available in your size). The PZ4 are the new and improved P-Zeros. The previous P-Zeros wasn't great, but these new ones will handle heavy rain and little snow pretty well.

You can see a summary video here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=435YR9PZ4XL

And a complete comparison with other summer tires here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=269

Did you go to any local tire shop? Perhaps they can give you more information face-to-face.
Thanks for all this information - I think I'm going to go to a non-run flat all-season. I complain about how stiff the car is going over bump and I think I would prefer a softer ride. I'll do some you tubing to refresh on how to change a tire if it ever gets to that. And to be on the safe side, I think I'll go with a donut in the bottom compartment. Hopefully I will never need to have to use it. I also saw the mobility kit from BMW and watched a video on YouTube for how it works - and it looks pretty neat.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:46 PM   #14
oliviahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
oliviahh,

I've decided that I will move to a non-run flat. Your flat tire/spare setup sounds great. Would you mind sharing me your whole kit and I'll just purchase it all? LOL

Any chance you know much about the mobility kit from BMW? I watched a how-to on YouTube via the BMW channel it and it looks like it is able to also temporarily repair a small puncture with just a push of a button. Seems easy enough if I didn't get a complete flat.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #15
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Main components of my spare setup:

-Spare wheel from BMW (part # 36116851507)
-Spare tire from Tire Rack - 135/90R17 Kumho T121 SL
-BMW wing screw to secure wheel (part # 07119908728). I believe you'll need to drill a hole through the bottom of the compartment's fiberboard liner. The trickiest part is finding the right spot. You'll need to remove a few screws/plastic rivets to lift up the fiberboard liner and reveal the pre-threaded hole in the metal frame below (~12.75 inches from the front and ~13.5 inches from the passenger side - both measurements taken from inside the compartment area). See attached pic. Use the smallest drill bit possible to first see whether you're lined up correctly before enlarging the hole. If you're off the mark, a few tiny pilot holes should be nearly unnoticeable.
-Something to hold the spare wheel down as the wing screw alone won't work. BMW uses a plastic cover (part # 36106857383). I found a random round plastic piece that served the same purpose.
-Scissor jack - I got the BMW one. Other members have recommended the Harbor Freight 1.5 ton scissor jack (here: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-...ack-66907.html), which I would've purchased instead had I done a bit more research first. You should confirm the HF saddle fits in to the X1's jack pad.
-Tool to remove the actual lug bolt: (1) 17mm socket (my memory may be off on sizing) + ratchet, or (2) lug wrench. You can get these items at Harbor Freight, Amazon, Walmart, etc.
-Wheel stud alignment pin (I got the OEMTOOLS 24233 Wheel Stud Alignment Pin kit, but you obviously don't need so many). I think the thread size is M14x1.25. This item isn't necessary, but makes life easier when swapping.
-Portable air compressor - not necessary, but will be essential if your spare is low on air or just need to top off tires.

I don't have experience with the BMW mobility kit, but it looks like an expensive version of a tire sealant in an aerosol can (e.g., Fix-A-Flat can). You should be able to fit this along with the spare wheel setup. I don't carry one as I've read the sealant goo is very annoying and difficult to get off once you get the tire replaced/repaired.

My alternative to the spare wheel is a tire plug kit. Note that it can be very difficult to plug a tire as the reaming step may require a lot of force. Also, plugging a tire will require the portable air compressor to inflate the tire back up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-23-2022, 09:33 PM   #16
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I put together a spare tire and jack kit for my x2. I know it won't fit the front over the m brakes so if I get a front flat, I need to put the spare on the rear and move a rear to the front.

I wanted Michelin CrossClimate2 tires but ended up with the Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. They're awesome! We're in the middle of a snow storm in Ohio and no issues.

I always ditch the runflats as soon as I can.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #17
dantis496
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
I put together a spare tire and jack kit for my x2. I know it won't fit the front over the m brakes so if I get a front flat, I need to put the spare on the rear and move a rear to the front.

I wanted Michelin CrossClimate2 tires but ended up with the Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. They're awesome! We're in the middle of a snow storm in Ohio and no issues.

Why did you opt for the Pilots instead of Cross Climate 2's? Asking because I am looking at the same..Thank you
      01-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #18
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
It was black friday in the middle of the night and the sale was going to be over. the website wouldn't let me order the crossclimate 2s in 235/45/19 because it wasn't a factory size for my x2 so i ended up just ordering the PSAS4s in 225/45/19. But going forward, I'll probably get the CC2s for my daughter's car when it's due.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #19
Wadadli Cooler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive25d Msport F48

I've done about 30,000 miles on Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen II, which are available in 19". Been very pleased - good grip, long life, excellent in wet and snow. I towed another car up a steep hill on compacted ice with no problem. Also reasonably priced.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #20
oliviahh
Rep

I’m torn between the Conti DWS 6 Plus and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Does anyone recommend one over the over? I heard Conti is better is snow but the Michelin handles a bit better. I’m really looking for something that gives me a good balance between handling and winter capability in an all-season. I certainly have a tendency yo whip around curves at times so I’ wondering how the Continentals would handle.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:20 PM   #21
oliviahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post

I have an 18 X1 Msport - are you saying the front brakes are different than the back and that I wont be able to put the donut on the front because of the brakes? I just talked to the parts dept at the dealership and they didn’t mention that so now I’m not sure…
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 06:03 PM   #22
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
I have an 18 X1 Msport - are you saying the front brakes are different than the back and that I wont be able to put the donut on the front because of the brakes? I just talked to the parts dept at the dealership and they didn’t mention that so now I’m not sure…
He's talking about another model, the X2, with M-Sport brakes, that are bigger than regular ones. You don't have to worry about that. Your X1 has regular brakes.