BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Boot closer

01-02-2022, 03:05 PM   #1
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Boot closer

My electric boot closer doesn't seem to be shutting the boot tight.
I am pretty sure it used to shut the boot and then you could see and hear a motor "pulling" the boot tight. But I can't hear that bit anymore and certainly can't see it being pulled tight.

As a result I hear a knocking from the boot lid when going over potholes, speed bumps etc. It must be closed enough that it doesn't light the warning symbol on the dashboard.

Anyone any experience of this?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGrant View Post
I am pretty sure it used to shut the boot and then you could see and hear a motor "pulling" the boot tight. But I can't hear that bit anymore and certainly can't see it being pulled tight.

As a result I hear a knocking from the boot lid when going over potholes, speed bumps etc. It must be closed enough that it doesn't light the warning symbol on the dashboard.

Did you try adjusting the rubber pieces next to the lights? Those work like the ones in the hood.
Attached Images

01-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #3
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Haven't tried adjusting anything yet. Will take a look at them
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:32 AM   #4
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Adjusting them didn't make a difference.
Happened to be parked next to another X1 owner at the weekend and compared boots. His definitely made a noise after the boot initially shut as the boot is pulled slowly closed. Mine used to do that but doesn't anymore.
Some googling suggests there is such a thing as a "soft close boot motor" but I can't find anything too specific on it. I guess my first port of call will be to check if it by chance has its own fuse and whether that is ok but would appreciate any advice others may have on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #5
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

let me know what you come up with as mine does the same thing but only during cold weather. during spring/summer, it's not noticeable at all but once temps drop here in Chicago, i hear it all the time over bumps.

I'm close to opening the panel and driving with it off over some bumps to see if i can pinpoint.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:19 AM   #6
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Adjusting them didn't make a difference.
Happened to be parked next to another X1 owner at the weekend and compared boots. His definitely made a noise after the boot initially shut as the boot is pulled slowly closed. Mine used to do that but doesn't anymore.
Some googling suggests there is such a thing as a "soft close boot motor" but I can't find anything too specific on it. I guess my first port of call will be to check if it by chance has its own fuse and whether that is ok but would appreciate any advice others may have on this?
Seems you're referring to the "Trunk lid lock." Take a look at this: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2580. If you indeed need to replace it, it's ~USD 200 + labor .
Attached Images

01-19-2022, 11:27 AM   #7
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers for that. I have seen other diagrams that seem to suggest it comes in two parts, the normal locking mechanism and then the soft closer.
Like in this listing ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-BMW-...-127635-2958-0
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Cheers for that. I have seen other diagrams that seem to suggest it comes in two parts, the normal locking mechanism and then the soft closer.
Like in this listing ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-BMW-...-127635-2958-0
Yes, the soft closing is another part. Take a look at this: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2581

Of course, the critical point here is identifying which part fails to avoid replacing both (if not necessary). Thinking out loud, if the trunk stays close, I would say that the locking is working, and the soft-closing is failing. But I don't know how those pieces interact together .
Attached Images

01-19-2022, 01:19 PM   #9
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers. Yeah I am tempted to think it's the soft close but I believe this has sensors on it which detect when the boot is closed so it may be a sensor needing a repair as opposed to the full part needing looked at or replaced.
You seem to have a lot of diagrams to hand, you don't by chance have any step by step guides on how to remove the inner trim from the boot to access these motors?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:32 PM   #10
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cheers. Yeah I am tempted to think it's the soft close but I believe this has sensors on it which detect when the boot is closed so it may be a sensor needing a repair as opposed to the full part needing looked at or replaced.
You seem to have a lot of diagrams to hand, you don't by chance have any step by step guides on how to remove the inner trim from the boot to access these motors?
i used this video for my rear camera install - works great on how to remove the rear door panel.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:55 PM   #11
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers. That is very helpful.
Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #12
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
I got those diagrams from realoem.com.

I searched in the ISTA app, and I'm attaching the manuals on how to disassemble step-by-step the soft closing mechanism and the trunk lock, listing all the other parts you need to remove too. You will find which parts you need to remove first on the top of every file. I attached all of them.

The video from bimmerTech is good for reference; I also used it when installing my rearview camera. However, the steps for the X1 are a little different, especially in your case, talking about trunk lock and soft closing disassembly.
      01-20-2022, 05:22 AM   #13
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers I can't see any attachments of these files?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:09 AM   #14
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Cheers I can't see any attachments of these files?
If you don't see attachments in my previous post, probably is because you're accessing by phone. Try doing the same with a laptop, or just change the browser.
      01-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #15
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Ok will do
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #16
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers - can see them on the laptop. Which I should have done before I started!
Yes, I acrually removed all the trim around the glass and interior of the bootlid as per the video and then realised this was pointless as that is now where the locking mechanism was. Thankfully, I was able to put it all back.

However as per the attchments above I need to rempove the tail panel trim. Now according to the sheet I just need to
"Release expanding rivets (1) from tail panel trim (2).
Lift off trim on tail panel (2)."
However I cannot work out how to do this - is it just a case of brute force and yank it up or is there an easier way to release these? I have removed the bit of chrome effect trim that sits on top to see if that helped any but it didn't!
How do I get this trim off?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 09:06 AM   #17
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

This is the trim minus the bit of chrome. The two circled bits seem to be the clips but just not sure how to release them?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #18
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Finally for now, on the fuse situation.
The diagram says the following fuses are used for the boot
11, 12, 90, 93, 96, 107.
However the fuse diagram with all the numbered fuses only seems to start at number 30 so where are fuses 11 & 12?

Finally you will see from the diagram that position 107 is right at the bottom which is out of eyesight and access when accessing through the back of the glovebox. How do I get access to fuse 107?

(apologies but photo seems to have posted portrait rather than landscape)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #19
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Quote:

Did you try adjusting the rubber pieces next to the lights? Those work like the ones in the hood.
Quote:
Quote:

Well after a weekend of trying to get to the bottom of my issue, including removing all sorts of boot trim, it turns out the issue was actually these adjusters after all!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #20
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Well after a weekend of trying to get to the bottom of my issue, including removing all sorts of boot trim, it turns out the issue was actually these adjusters after all!
what did you do - just turn them? any info would be great as i cringe going over any bumps
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 04:32 PM   #21
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Ultimately, yes.
I managed to access the lock and soft close and see they were both working. However when the boot was shutting the soft close wasn't kicking in.
Although it defied all logic (to me) I then adjusted this closure points and lo and behold the soft closer started to work again! So basically fully turned them clockwise and the soft close didn't kick in. Turned them anti clockwise a couple of turns and the Soft close did kick in. So then it just became trial and error turning them to try and get to the sweetest point for the boot to be locked as tight as possible.
Appreciate 3
Homersbud202.00
pinco000164.50
      01-23-2022, 11:49 PM   #22
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad you solved it! Unfortunately, it was after doing all the disassembling. But at least it was before buying any parts
Appreciate 0