I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcarbon View Post
Yes!!!!!!!
But $21 million,
IIRC I read somewhere years ago that an owner sold his 1995 F1 with a lousy 12 kilometers (not a typo) in Japan for $40M with all the interior protection still in place. Inflation today? Maybe $75M lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 09:17 PM   #68
Topcarbon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
IIRC I read somewhere years ago that an owner sold his 1995 F1 with a lousy 12 kilometers (not a typo) in Japan for $40M with all the interior protection still in place. Inflation today? Maybe $75M lol
I was referring to this
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/ultra-low-mileage-mclaren-f1-sets-auction-record-usa/amp/

But I’m sure it’s possible private sale would exceed this one for a record auction sale
Nevertheless, a dream
And maintenance a nightmare
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 09:31 PM   #69
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Attached Images

Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
Efthreeoh16950.50
Murf99314114.00
Dino GT35121.00
AlexFL7833.00
      01-26-2022, 09:45 PM   #70
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Man.... I'm not sure I would even have a "dream" car. I get bored easily and like variety. I think I would rather have a handful of different cars than my one "dream" car.

If I was forced to pick probably some kind of lamborghini or ferrari just because I've always liked them. However I don't like attention so I would probably rarely take it out.

Actually now that I think of it I think I would prefer like a restomod or whatever they are called. Like a 1960s corvette or mustang but with a new drivetrain.
Appreciate 3
Esteban42244.00
Murf99314114.00
Dino GT35121.00
      01-27-2022, 12:41 AM   #71
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I like American Muscle.

The Shelby Mustang GT350R would be my pick.

Quote:
The “Voodoo” Flat-Plane Crank V8
This engine is a complete and utter masterpiece. It has it all: large displacement (5.2 liters), incredible sound, smooth acceleration, performance to brag to your friends about, and that harmonious sound (more on that later). This engine has been dubbed by Car and Driver as “The Most Interesting Engine of the Year”. For those of you who don’t know what ‘flat-plane crank’ means…well, join the club. What I do know (put ever so simply) is that it is the same engine architecture as Ferrari’s V8s which allows them to rev extremely high and maintain a strong horsepower and torque curve. People who try to pry more power out of these end up stripping the engine because they simply are tuned to ten tenths out the showroom.

Manual Transmission
One of the biggest prerequisites for a driver’s car in my book is a good ‘ole fashioned three pedal setup. The GT350R seems to be one of the last sports cars of our time to offer a manual box—and a damn snappy one if I do say so myself. It’s big brother, the GT500, gets Ford’s newest 10-speed auto (*sigh*) and the competition is following suit. I will argue until I’m blue in the face that we should celebrate the manual while we can. Lots of people adore them but don’t actually buy them. Put your money where your mouth is and buy a car with a manual. You won’t regret it for a second.

The Hellish Noise
The exhaust note is one of the main hallmarks of the GT350R. It has been solidified into the automotive hall of fame (aka an allegiance made up in my head) as one of the best sounding cars ever to cruise this Earth. Other contemporary cars that come to mind are the Lamborghini Aventador, Lexus LFA, Porsche GT3, and Ferrari 812 Superfast. But those all go for twice, if not quadruple the price of the humble Shelby. The first time I drove a Shelby, I couldn’t resist the urge to stomp on the gas at every single opportunity I got. HOT DIGGITY did I laugh. I actually giggled like a chump for minutes on end. I felt like a 5 year-old on Christmas morning. The sound at 8,500 RPM is a thing of beauty and is reason enough alone to buy this car.

The Useable Speed
Compared to other V8s of our time, the Shelby’s 5.2L doesn’t produce groundbreaking numbers. What it does produce are 526 horsepowers and 429 torques. That is plenty of grunt for a daily driver or track weapon. That torque figure makes clutch engagement easy which means traffic lugging an ease. And on the other side of the spectrum, the high RPM pull is accessible in any gear. Not saying I know from experience, but roasting the rear tires is fully welcomed in the GT350R.
Nothing is perfect:

Quote:
The Shelby has it’s fair amount of downsides. For one, the clutch pedal is trash. The spring is double-actuated (which is to say that there are two springs pushing it forward, not one) so its heavy at the bottom but super light right at the catch point. So there’s no linearity and really tough to judge. Fortunately, it’s an easy upgrade to fix. Next are the seats. Despite being Recaros and having oodles of support, they’re cloth—and no one likes cloth. It gets stinky and sweaty. (Just like me, but there’s only room for one gross object in the car, not two.) They also don’t go far enough down so you always feel a bit too high for that perfect driving position. Other downsides include interior quality. It’s immediately apparent that this was not made in Germany. Scratchy plastic on the doors and footwells, hollow indicator stalks, and a general sense of cheapness are all present inside the Shelby’s cabin. At certain points of the day, the glare is so horrendous that the driver can’t see a thing going on in the gauge cluster. Ford had to cut some corners but can you blame them? Lastly, the GT350R is comically low in the front. Like seriously, it’s two inches off the ground. I have never driven a single car (supercars and all) that are as low as this. Every speed bump or driveway has to be taken with extreme caution or else you’re at risk of scraping up your plastic splitter and looking like a massive dingus. The sound of the underbody scraping is enough to make the Hulk cringe. Thank heavens its plastic! For all the shortcomings I stated above, the GT350R still remains one of my favorite cars I’ve driven in a while. To anyone who has a favorite ride, you know what I mean when I say you completely overlook a car’s negatives because the positives are overwhelmingly fantastic. This wonderous muscle car with its astonishing engine, slick looks, and back-to-basics driving style has me smitten. Find me in two years with one of these in white with blue stripes rolling up to a cars and coffee and I guarantee you, I’ll still be giggling like a chum.

The Mustang GT350R: The BEST Sports Car Under 100K…Period
Attached Images

Last edited by Esteban; 01-27-2022 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 5
Murf99314114.00
Dino GT35121.00
stein_325i25051.00
AlexFL7833.00
      01-27-2022, 02:08 AM   #72
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Too many choices.

My answer would be different if it was a car to drive every day or a car to buy as an investment and store except for the occasional trip to a car show.

If it were a daily driver dream car, my choice would be the current X5 M.
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2022, 05:41 AM   #73
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

That’s easy from gone in 60 seconds …..Eleanor
Appreciate 3
oVeRdOsE.2522.50
Dino GT35121.00
UncleWede17883.00
      01-27-2022, 06:55 AM   #74
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I like American Muscle.

Nothing is perfect:

My wife and I were in Cocoa Beach a couple of years ago, we were just south of town by the Air Base in our rental mustang vert and one of those things went by us.....what a sound. Great car.
Appreciate 2
Dino GT35121.00
Esteban42244.00
      01-27-2022, 08:01 AM   #75
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I am a huge fan of the GT350 but it's not a sports car, not sure what to call it, performance car? You can't be near 4000 ponds and be a sports car. Same goes for a M3/4 or whatever, these are heavy cars. Shit tons of grip and great lap times though.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
Dino GT35121.00
lakefront560.50
      01-27-2022, 08:48 AM   #76
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I like American Muscle.

Quote:
The "Voodoo" Flat-Plane Crank V8
This engine is a complete and utter masterpiece. It has it all: large displacement (5.2 liters), incredible sound, smooth acceleration, performance to brag to your friends about, and that harmonious sound (more on that later). This engine has been dubbed by Car and Driver as "The Most Interesting Engine of the Year". For those of you who don't know what 'flat-plane crank' means…well, join the club. What I do know (put ever so simply) is that it is the same engine architecture as Ferrari's V8s which allows them to rev extremely high and maintain a strong horsepower and torque curve. People who try to pry more power out of these end up stripping the engine because they simply are tuned to ten tenths out the showroom.

Manual Transmission
One of the biggest prerequisites for a driver's car in my book is a good 'ole fashioned three pedal setup. The GT350R seems to be one of the last sports cars of our time to offer a manual box—and a damn snappy one if I do say so myself. It's big brother, the GT500, gets Ford's newest 10-speed auto (*sigh*) and the competition is following suit. I will argue until I'm blue in the face that we should celebrate the manual while we can. Lots of people adore them but don't actually buy them. Put your money where your mouth is and buy a car with a manual. You won't regret it for a second.

The Hellish Noise
The exhaust note is one of the main hallmarks of the GT350R. It has been solidified into the automotive hall of fame (aka an allegiance made up in my head) as one of the best sounding cars ever to cruise this Earth. Other contemporary cars that come to mind are the Lamborghini Aventador, Lexus LFA, Porsche GT3, and Ferrari 812 Superfast. But those all go for twice, if not quadruple the price of the humble Shelby. The first time I drove a Shelby, I couldn't resist the urge to stomp on the gas at every single opportunity I got. HOT DIGGITY did I laugh. I actually giggled like a chump for minutes on end. I felt like a 5 year-old on Christmas morning. The sound at 8,500 RPM is a thing of beauty and is reason enough alone to buy this car.

The Useable Speed
Compared to other V8s of our time, the Shelby's 5.2L doesn't produce groundbreaking numbers. What it does produce are 526 horsepowers and 429 torques. That is plenty of grunt for a daily driver or track weapon. That torque figure makes clutch engagement easy which means traffic lugging an ease. And on the other side of the spectrum, the high RPM pull is accessible in any gear. Not saying I know from experience, but roasting the rear tires is fully welcomed in the GT350R.
Nothing is perfect:

Quote:
The Shelby has it's fair amount of downsides. For one, the clutch pedal is trash. The spring is double-actuated (which is to say that there are two springs pushing it forward, not one) so its heavy at the bottom but super light right at the catch point. So there's no linearity and really tough to judge. Fortunately, it's an easy upgrade to fix. Next are the seats. Despite being Recaros and having oodles of support, they're cloth—and no one likes cloth. It gets stinky and sweaty. (Just like me, but there's only room for one gross object in the car, not two.) They also don't go far enough down so you always feel a bit too high for that perfect driving position. Other downsides include interior quality. It's immediately apparent that this was not made in Germany. Scratchy plastic on the doors and footwells, hollow indicator stalks, and a general sense of cheapness are all present inside the Shelby's cabin. At certain points of the day, the glare is so horrendous that the driver can't see a thing going on in the gauge cluster. Ford had to cut some corners but can you blame them? Lastly, the GT350R is comically low in the front. Like seriously, it's two inches off the ground. I have never driven a single car (supercars and all) that are as low as this. Every speed bump or driveway has to be taken with extreme caution or else you're at risk of scraping up your plastic splitter and looking like a massive dingus. The sound of the underbody scraping is enough to make the Hulk cringe. Thank heavens its plastic! For all the shortcomings I stated above, the GT350R still remains one of my favorite cars I've driven in a while. To anyone who has a favorite ride, you know what I mean when I say you completely overlook a car's negatives because the positives are overwhelmingly fantastic. This wonderous muscle car with its astonishing engine, slick looks, and back-to-basics driving style has me smitten. Find me in two years with one of these in white with blue stripes rolling up to a cars and coffee and I guarantee you, I'll still be giggling like a chum.

I've driven a few GT350's and a GT350R. They really are a truly special experience, definitely my favorite Mustangs of the modern era. Great shifter, feel-some steering (on the early models, later years got the 500's rack), and of course, the glorious noise. It feels almost like an American take on the E92 but a bit more raw.

Dino GT35121.00
Murf99314114.00
Esteban42244.00
      01-27-2022, 09:00 AM   #77
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Man.... I'm not sure I would even have a "dream" car. I get bored easily and like variety. I think I would rather have a handful of different cars than my one "dream" car.

If I was forced to pick probably some kind of lamborghini or ferrari just because I've always liked them. However I don't like attention so I would probably rarely take it out.

Actually now that I think of it I think I would prefer like a restomod or whatever they are called. Like a 1960s corvette or mustang but with a new drivetrain.
I also get bored driving the same car everyday, that's why I always have a hand full of cars to pick from everyday. They are all junk to some people but I can't drive the same car week in week out. I look forward to driving my cars, if you don't, you bought the wrong car.
I always make up my mind the night before which car I'm driving the next morning .
My favorite winter beater is the 330xi. I keep all my cars in excellent condition, 330xi is one of those car that I just can't seem to get rid of. It's the perfect winter beater that I can play around with and not worry if something happens to it. I drive it all winter on RWD just so I can have some fun in the snow ❄️. I'm old, but not that old
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
sygazelle11113.50
      01-27-2022, 09:09 AM   #78
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I've seen some exotic cars in our neighborhood. Lasts about one year, then they mysteriously disappear. I think I know why.

I think there's a specific reason for this and it may not be what you're thinking. I believe with exotic cars, many follow a very different depreciation curve than normal cars. So in that world I think it's common practice to own an exotic car, drive it for 6 months to a year, and then sell it at minimal loss, in some cases you may even break-even.... and in some other rare cases may even churn a profit. But they'll typically replace it with another exotic.

It's a way to drive exotics on the "cheap". Of course it's not without its risks... exotic cars can be ticking time bombs when it comes to maintenance, so always a good idea to have some financial stability behind the purchase in the event of something going wrong. And of course, if you end up in an accident then there goes your resale value.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      01-28-2022, 06:25 AM   #79
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

There's an Aston Martin dealer close to home and they tease me every time I drive by...

I need someone to spec out a new Vantage like this and then I'll buy it when they decide to sell.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Murf99314114.00
Dino GT35121.00
Humdizzle6024.00
AlexFL7833.00
hubbahubba8710.00
      01-28-2022, 06:32 AM   #80
Topcarbon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I think there's a specific reason for this and it may not be what you're thinking. I believe with exotic cars, many follow a very different depreciation curve than normal cars. So in that world I think it's common practice to own an exotic car, drive it for 6 months to a year, and then sell it at minimal loss, in some cases you may even break-even.... and in some other rare cases may even churn a profit. But they'll typically replace it with another exotic.

It's a way to drive exotics on the "cheap". Of course it's not without its risks... exotic cars can be ticking time bombs when it comes to maintenance, so always a good idea to have some financial stability behind the purchase in the event of something going wrong. And of course, if you end up in an accident then there goes your resale value.
Personally, I am on my second Countach and i know once i sell it i will not have another. One of my dreams growing up like a lot of boys who had this car on the wall, i succeeded in realizing ownership. It took me a while to find the right one, so selling would not be a quick decision, and i have held onto it for years with no intention to sell. I do know the day will come, but until then i will drive it and maintain it. Definitely not a hit a quit type of ownership.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      01-28-2022, 06:58 AM   #81
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcarbon View Post
Personally, I am on my second Countach and i know once i sell it i will not have another. One of my dreams growing up like a lot of boys who had this car on the wall, i succeeded in realizing ownership. It took me a while to find the right one, so selling would not be a quick decision, and i have held onto it for years with no intention to sell. I do know the day will come, but until then i will drive it and maintain it. Definitely not a hit a quit type of ownership.
Definitely... there's different methods to get an exotic. The method I described is a way for some people who normally wouldn't be able to justify getting an exotic, to minimize the total cost of ownership.

A Countach is something special... that's definitely something you want to hold on to.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #82
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Had access to one for a while, until my mom traded it in on a new model It was almost this color.

1970, sequential trigger on the rear taillights. 351C.

I would paint her, and take care of her, and love her, and put disc brakes on her, and put wider tires on her.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
Dino GT35121.00
AlexFL7833.00
      01-28-2022, 03:57 PM   #83
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Yeah, same with the GT3 991.2...

I can't help but think if someone today gave me one. What would I do? My life currently can't support owning this car and the roads/climate definitely do not support it either.

Probably sell it and buy 3 Caymans...
So your lifestyle can support 3 Caymans but not 1 GT3
No country roads or a track close to you?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 05:52 PM   #84
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

RR Wraith or Dawn would be fun to run around in…

Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
Dino GT35121.00
      01-28-2022, 06:34 PM   #85
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

I wouldn’t mind a Lancia Stratos in my garage…
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
lakefront560.50
      01-28-2022, 06:52 PM   #86
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I've always wanted the Nassau blue Factory five 65 coupe. But I want to build it so life keeps getting in the way. By far my favorite car and if I did it, I'd drop in a stock Coyote engine and a tremec six speed so I could drive it every day.

and I'd put all the stickers on it too.
Attached Images

Murf99314114.00
Efthreeoh16950.50
      01-28-2022, 08:58 PM   #87
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I've always wanted the Nassau blue Factory five 65 coupe. But I want to build it so life keeps getting in the way. By far my favorite car and if I did it, I'd drop in a stock Coyote engine and a tremec six speed so I could drive it every day.

and I'd put all the stickers on it too.
'
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 06:51 AM   #88
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

W222 s63 amg