BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Experience with Michelin CrossClimate SUV or new Conti DWS 6 Plus Tires?

01-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #1
oliviahh
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 MSport

Experience with Michelin CrossClimate SUV or new Conti DWS 6 Plus Tires?

I'm swapping out my OEM run-flats this Thursday at a local tire shop. I've done some research and ended up having them order the newest version of Continental DWS 6 Plus, but I keep second guessing my decision.

Does anyone have experienced with the new DWS 6+? From the previous versions (not the plus) I've read people complain of the soft sidewall becoming an issue and do I need to worry about this on potholes?

Additionally, does anyone have experience of the Michelin CrossClimate SUV? This one is snowflake rated which is very attractive to me since I take my car into the mountains to go snowboarding but I wasn't sure how it handles in the dry or during summer. Will I lose the sporty feel of the car if I put a Touring AS tire on the car vs an Ultra Performance AS?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 08:01 AM   #2
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

I fitted Crossclimates last year. I live in Central Scotland so not much snow but we did get 2 or 3 days worth and I spent a lot of time playing in it and was very impressed with its capabilities especially getting up snow covered quite steep hills.
I don't drive my car to the absolute extremes of its limits but have had no issues whatsoever with the tyres including running in air temps of 25C.

I guess I just didn't want the embarrassment of having an all wheel drive car that couldn't drive any better than a 2WD car in the snow due to summer tyres.

And they were quieter than the Bridgestones that they replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #3
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviahh View Post
I'm swapping out my OEM run-flats this Thursday at a local tire shop. I've done some research and ended up having them order the newest version of Continental DWS 6 Plus, but I keep second guessing my decision.

Does anyone have experienced with the new DWS 6+? From the previous versions (not the plus) I've read people complain of the soft sidewall becoming an issue and do I need to worry about this on potholes?

Additionally, does anyone have experience of the Michelin CrossClimate SUV? This one is snowflake rated which is very attractive to me since I take my car into the mountains to go snowboarding but I wasn't sure how it handles in the dry or during summer. Will I lose the sporty feel of the car if I put a Touring AS tire on the car vs an Ultra Performance AS?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Hi oliviahh,

Did you see this review? https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=266. Tire Rack gave the DWS6 Plus a great score. They were supposed to be testing the tire during winter, so the updated report should be available soon.

You can see a summary in the following video:

Regarding the soft sidewall, I was worried about the same when I changed from run-flats to Michelin Pilot Sport 4, which are known to be really soft. I cannot believe how much the ride has improved with the Michelin tires. And, trust me, I live in a city where potholes are everywhere, haha. Of course, they are softer than run-flats, but it's a matter of having the correct tire pressure.

Final tip, you can improve the sidewall rigidness by choosing the XL (extra-load) version of the tires, if available for your size.
      01-26-2022, 10:04 PM   #4
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I've run both the DWS and DWS06 (not the newest version).
Personally I don't think either of those tires was a good winter tire (or a good tire in general). The sidewalls are soft, they flat spot easily and the rubber compound was hard.

Also the fact a tire is an XL does not necessarily mean they are going to have a stiffer sidewall. I also used to believe this. Typically a two ply sidewall tire will have a stiffer sidewall, that's really what you need to look for but that also doesn't guarantee anything either and good luck trying to find the real technical specs on any given tire. Discount Tire and TireRack used to post this info. up then they took it off.

For winter you want a tire that has a insane amount of sipes, which is why you'll see sometimes at Discount Tire or other tire places offer siping services (I'm not a believer in siping tires that didn't come siped from the manufacturer by the way).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:10 AM   #5
Zookol
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 S drive

I have been running the DWS06 plus for close to a year now here in Michigan. I have found it to be a great daily driver. Responsive yet comfortable on poor roads and much quieter than the runflats. Not going to match a dedicated winter tire in deep snow or on ice, but it’s an excellent all season tire. I would buy it again without hesitating
Appreciate 0