BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2016 X1 Groaning Steering Wheel Noise

03-14-2021, 10:55 PM   #1
Nsehati1
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3

2016 X1 Groaning Steering Wheel Noise

I have a 2016 X1 with 18,000 miles, and I started noticing a groaning noise when turning the steering wheel right. It doesn't happen all the time, and is very obvious in below 40*F weather and almost not present in 55*F+ weather.

I had the control arms and shock bushings replaced as a warranty tsb courtesy about 2 weeks ago and only noticed this sound since then.

Any ideas what it could be?

Video link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZoPPMWxKr9hJgn176
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 11:32 PM   #2
blakeusa
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 28I

Power steering pump or hydraulic lines or fluid.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:18 AM   #3
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeusa View Post
Power steering pump or hydraulic lines or fluid.
It won't be any of those; the X1 has Electronic Power Steering. It's assisted by an electric motor, not hydraulics.

Is the noise something that could be coming from the steering motor working harder, or more mechanical?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Was the car wheel aligned after the control arm/bushes work? Possibly, one of the strut top bearings has been moved or loosened.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:26 AM   #5
victorngcm
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsehati1 View Post
I have a 2016 X1 with 18,000 miles, and I started noticing a groaning noise when turning the steering wheel right. It doesn't happen all the time, and is very obvious in below 40*F weather and almost not present in 55*F+ weather.

I had the control arms and shock bushings replaced as a warranty tsb courtesy about 2 weeks ago and only noticed this sound since then.

Any ideas what it could be?

Video link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZoPPMWxKr9hJgn176
I got sound from the steeling colume I think..
but not as loud as yours. only a small sound and little bit vibration
can be fixed if I free the wheel lock and push back and fore then lock again
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 01:24 PM   #6
BahamaYellow
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Steering noise

Nsehati1 Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a similar problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:58 AM   #7
Wadadli Cooler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive25d Msport F48

Mine was making a creeking sound when turning at a crawl. It was the suspension top mount on the drivers side which is a very common issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #8
ukpsbx1
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I noticed mine doing this at slow speeds when turning the steering left and right. Is it something to be worried about? It sounds like it's coming from inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 11:52 PM   #9
kote4ka777
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Any resolutions of this problem? My wife's 2017 f48 (around 60k on a clock) started making exact same noise on driver's side. All started last winter, getting worse by now. At the beginning it was also just when you turning steering wheel left/right on low speed. Now it make creeking/squealing noise even in stop&go traffic. Checked/tight top nuts on a strut - they were just fine, my manipulation didn't do any good or bad. Removed the wheel, visually inspected suspension, all looks normal. Jacked up front left suspension (to mimic normal load) and tried to replicate the issue by applying force on different suspension components with pry bar - couldn't replicate the sound. Again, I'm not a professional mechanic so I might miss right point where to push, but from my judgement it really feels like the problem comes from uptop. Someone did mention about common issue with strut mount. Any details on that? What exactly is the problem and how to fix it? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 11:56 PM   #10
kote4ka777
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadadli Cooler View Post
Mine was making a creeking sound when turning at a crawl. It was the suspension top mount on the drivers side which is a very common issue.
Wadadli, are you referring to strut mount? Did you replace it and it resolved the issue for you?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 11:12 PM   #11
kote4ka777
Registered
Rep

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kote4ka777 View Post
Any resolutions of this problem? My wife's 2017 f48 (around 60k on a clock) started making exact same noise on driver's side. All started last winter, getting worse by now. At the beginning it was also just when you turning steering wheel left/right on low speed. Now it make creeking/squealing noise even in stop&go traffic. Checked/tight top nuts on a strut - they were just fine, my manipulation didn't do any good or bad. Removed the wheel, visually inspected suspension, all looks normal. Jacked up front left suspension (to mimic normal load) and tried to replicate the issue by applying force on different suspension components with pry bar - couldn't replicate the sound. Again, I'm not a professional mechanic so I might miss right point where to push, but from my judgement it really feels like the problem comes from uptop. Someone did mention about common issue with strut mount. Any details on that? What exactly is the problem and how to fix it? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
So finally figured out where the noise is coming from - Right Lower Control Arm Ball Joint. Had to buy a stethoscope to locate the problem (very handy thing when it comes to locating source of sound). Under further investigation showed little pinch on a rubber boot of the joint, looks like all the grease came out of that hole. Took little syringe and injected couple mils of motor oil (like my grandad used to do with his USSR made car ) and the noise is gone for now. Looks like some of old tricks are still applicable with new cars. Of course this is just temporary solution since the boot is compromised and needs to be replace eventually. The problem is that ball joint is stamped to control arm, which means that whole control arm needs to be swapped. Looking at it's design I really don't see any logical explanation on why would BMW stamp ball joint to control arm except reaping people off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 12:01 AM   #12
victorngcm
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F48

I changed a pair of new control arm but the problem is not solved.
Appreciate 0