BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Limes Watches

01-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Limes Watches

Limes - German made, Ikler cases (http://www.ickler.de/en/about-ickler/), ETA or Sellita inside. Various styles, but I'm partial to their dress/everyday model -- Chyros -- because of the 3D styling of the dial/face and because the case is a little different and yet conservative and elegant. (1500 Euros give or take) You can see the detailing and care that goes into these watches.

If you like Damasko, you should definitely check out Limes, but either is a brand well worth considering in the ~$2000 (give or take) price range. IMO, however, either brand is a better choice than Tag if for no other reason than that neither will have the amount marketing overhead that must necessarily be in a Tag.

Note for Tag fans who hate that I "rag" on Tag:
Yes, Tag makes some good watches, their Calibre 36 models come readily to mind (http://www.onthedash.com/thoughts/ca...k-full-review/), even if it is really Zenith's El Primero to which Tag purchased the rights, but they make a lot of watches that aren't any better than anything else and that are distinguished only by having Tag's name on the dial.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Hmmmmmmm. The problem is Tony, when someone asks you what watch you wear and you reply "Limes", they won't know what the fuck you're on about. Bit like driving a Lexus, posh Toyota, good but no cigar.
Germans don't make watches in the same way the Swiss don't make cars.....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Hmmmmmmm. The problem is Tony, when someone asks you what watch you wear and you reply "Limes", they won't know what the fuck you're on about. Bit like driving a Lexus, posh Toyota, good but no cigar.
Germans don't make watches in the same way the Swiss don't make cars.....
If that matters to you, well, I guess it does. My take is that if they ask what kind of watch it is, and I tell them, they'll either ask me for more info, or they'll behave like a typical "label seeking" dullard and just say, "Oh," and have not one thing intelligent to say or ask after finding out the brand.

I could not care less if someone asking me about my watch knows what it is or doesn't know abut my watch. If the person genuinely likes the look of the thing and has never heard of the brand, at least I know they are complimenting me for a sincere reason instead of because they happen to know I spent this or that sum (roughly) on it. If the person asking is genuinely interested in the watch alone, they'll move to further discussion about it

When folks bother to say "nice watch" about my Arnold & Son or Franck Muller, I thank them and ask if they are also into watches or perhaps, should I notice they too have on a "watchie" brand of watch, I may ask them something about theirs that I don't know or had wondered about their watch. If they compliment my Calatrava or Submariner, I just say thanks, turn and go on about my business unless they have something interesting to say besides "nice watch."

I'm pretty good at communication and it won't take me more than a minute to figure out what the questioner is about.

Social Climber/Status Hound/Casual Observer:
Them: I like your watch.
Me: Thank you.
Them: You're welcome. (walks off)

or

Them: Nice watch.
Them: What kind is it?
Me: Limes
Them: Oh. Well, nice talking to you. Have a nice day. (walks off)
Sincere Observer/Inquiry:
Them: Nice watch.
Them: What kind is it?
Me: Limes
Them: I've never heard of that brand. How do you like it?
Me: Yes, I don't see many folks wearing them either. It's made by a small German company that isn't widely known. I'm very pleased with it. Are you something of a watch collector?
Them: I don't know if I'm a collector, but I like watches. I just noticed that yours looked rather unique. Is it hard to get service for it?
Me: No, not at all. It's very solidly made and uses the same movement as many of the major brands you've probably heard of like Tag and Baume & Mercier. Pretty much any jeweler or watch repair shop can handle anything related to the movement, bracelet/strap or crystal. But, of course just like any other watch, if you damage the case itself, you'll have to contact the factory for repairs or replacement. But it's made from stainless steel, so it's going to be as tough as anything else made from steel. But then again, I don't use it for target practice either. What kinds of watches do you like?
Them: I have ......
Me: [something complimentary about one of their watches..perhaps I'll even ask a question about them if there is something I want to know. Maybe I'll offer a tip about a place I know that has one or more of those brands at better than average prices or that has a better than average selection. Maybe I'll mention something about service and share or ask for insight about a good place to go for service/repairs....it all depends...]
Them: Well, I have to get going. Thanks for the info. Have a nice day.
At some point, depending on their response (and other factors), I may take it off and let them see for themselves what they think of it. Or, I might grab my phone and offer to text the website or brand name to them. About the only thing I won't discuss, except in the broadest of terms, is the price of the watches -- their or mine.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0