Jonathan0880
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Xdrive

Potential new buyer

A:37
S:M
L:Ottawa, Ontairo Canada (gatineau)

Currently in the market for a new/used vechile...recently had the chance to test drive a 2016 X1 xdrive28i, brown exterior, Mocha interior, sport seats, 8" infotainment, pano sunroof, I believe it had most of the tech pack options optioned for that year. ~ 43K km's. Overall vehicle was in VERY good condition, interior almost looked showroom new. Outside, great condish, usually small stuff associated with 3 years of usage.

I LOVED the vehicle, super easy to drive, loved the seat adjustability, very comfortable ride, just enough power not to get into trouble and I loved the interior spec, has lot's of character with the mocha color etc. which is what attracted me to it in the first place. It will need new disc brakes. Small indie dealer, asking 29,870$CAD, no warranty.

obviously I will browse this site to see what sort of issues people are having but I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about this deal?
What should I expect in terms of maintenance costs, reliability and potential gremlins with this model year etc.

I really love it, but for me, it's still a lot of money after all is said and done and I'm a little weary about not having a warranty to fall back on.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:30 AM   #2
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

You might check this topic - https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1598332

There seems to be a common transmission problem with 2016 X1s, so maybe get yours checked for that before you buy it.

Other than that, the X1 seems to be a pretty reliable car so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:21 AM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
You might check this topic - https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1598332

There seems to be a common transmission problem with 2016 X1s, so maybe get yours checked for that before you buy it.

It's unclear as to whether that is a transmission problem, or an "operator error issue".

I have a Jan build 2016 X1 25i (same as 28i in NA) with similar specs, nearly 60,000km. No major issues although it was subject to a couple of TSBs (front suspension).

As documented in my posts elsewhere, it is a really nice car on 18" wheels with non-RFTs
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

I looked at the Carfax for the vehicle you're considering (it was linked through the ad on Kijiji). Apart from the open recall (driver's seatbelt) it looks good, but the original in-service date appears to have been September 2016, which means the car still has a year of factory warranty left. Also, BMWs in Canada come with four years of no-charge scheduled maintenance, so the balance of that coverage should apply as well (brakes aren't covered).

Our 2019 only has 2100 km on it but we're very happy with it for many of the same reasons you stated.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
skaterpunk
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I don’t seem to be the norm on this forum, but I have had numerous issues with my 2018 x1 and the dealer never could fix. Everything from Bluetooth issues with iPhone to brake pads and rotor issues at 900 miles (total on car). Also BMW customer care is a nightmare to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post

thanks, looked through it, hard to say if it would affect this model...
I looked at a few of the VIN's people listed and they were different sub models. But the transmission #'s were the same so just not sure...
Really good to know going into this though.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
It's unclear as to whether that is a transmission problem, or an "operator error issue".

I have a Jan build 2016 X1 25i (same as 28i in NA) with similar specs, nearly 60,000km. No major issues although it was subject to a couple of TSBs (front suspension).

As documented in my posts elsewhere, it is a really nice car on 18" wheels with non-RFTs
Good to know. Thanks for sharing this.... I get the feeling, it's sort of like that with BMW, people's experience run's the gamut sort of thing...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #8
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
I looked at the Carfax for the vehicle you're considering (it was linked through the ad on Kijiji). Apart from the open recall (driver's seatbelt) it looks good, but the original in-service date appears to have been September 2016, which means the car still has a year of factory warranty left. Also, BMWs in Canada come with four years of no-charge scheduled maintenance, so the balance of that coverage should apply as well (brakes aren't covered).

Our 2019 only has 2100 km on it but we're very happy with it for many of the same reasons you stated.
Yeah, I was fully aware of the recalls, the seat belt thing is no biggy, I'm a single driver anyway, I'm sure I could get that fixed without issue..

Yes, I guess you're right about the warranty going until 2020. Never crossed my mind, a definite point towards getting it...

I've been researching vehicles for the past few years and nothing really excited me enough to get into a car payment again (no payment is bliss).....but this is SUUUUUUCH a nice vehicle though. Especially with all the options this one has...it's the only vehicle that has got me excited about spending my hard earned money.......we speced out what a similar 2019 would come out to, basically 60K worth of car.... but I'm still just not sure....with the warranty being up in a year, just worried about stuff creeping up as the mileage get's up there...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #9
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterpunk View Post
I don’t seem to be the norm on this forum, but I have had numerous issues with my 2018 x1 and the dealer never could fix. Everything from Bluetooth issues with iPhone to brake pads and rotor issues at 900 miles (total on car). Also BMW customer care is a nightmare to deal with.
hmmm...interesting...

what sort of issues are we talking about though, just minor niggles or serious $hit that makes it undrivable??....

I'm not to bad with small glitches on the electric or software side, as long as they're minor though...I can live with some stuff not working properly. Just don't want anything where I can't drive because of it.

Curious, what sort of brake pad and rotor issues @ 900 miles? Brakes and rotors are consumables so figure they will need fixing eventually .... I noticed the rotors on this one had some gouging and rust on the edges, they looked like 40% through their life so I told them if I bought it, I'd want them changed as part of the deal....just that much less to spend in a year or two...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #10
skaterpunk
Rep

Mine is 2018 xDrive. At 900 miles brakes were vibrating and clicking so I brought it in. It has been in 4 times already for the same thing and they haven’t fixed it. They have:
Sanded rotors
Replaced pads
Added squeal gel
Replaced bearings

And the brakes still click.

Like I said most people seem to like their x1 but their are some duds out there
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #11
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Mine is 2018 xDrive. At 900 miles brakes were vibrating and clicking so I brought it in. It has been in 4 times already for the same thing and they haven’t fixed it. They have:
Sanded rotors
Replaced pads
Added squeal gel
Replaced bearings

And the brakes still click.

Like I said most people seem to like their x1 but their are some duds out there
yeah that's weird. Do you drive on gravel alot? I know rocks can do that....Did they provide any possible explanations atleast?

Anything else you can elaborate on in terms of issues....?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #12
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan0880 View Post
I've been researching vehicles for the past few years and nothing really excited me enough to get into a car payment again (no payment is bliss).....but this is SUUUUUUCH a nice vehicle though. Especially with all the options this one has...it's the only vehicle that has got me excited about spending my hard earned money.......we speced out what a similar 2019 would come out to, basically 60K worth of car.... but I'm still just not sure....with the warranty being up in a year, just worried about stuff creeping up as the mileage get's up there...
I get it - I'm a believer in going with a vehicle that you're excited about owning and driving. Still, you have to make your own decision about the cost vs tradeoff of going used vs. something you could get new with a full warranty for the same $30k. Anitber route to consider would be to look at what local BMW dealers have in stock as certified pre-owned vehicles - you might end up paying more but you'd have the comfort of extra CPO warranty on top of any remaining factory coverage. That said, though - as long as the one you buy has factory warranty left I believe you're still allowed to add an extended warranty through BMW, so there's another potential route if you're concerned about repairs.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
skaterpunk
Rep

That’s everything so far. The bmw dealership couldn’t explain it and pretty much told me nothing was wrong. I’m in upstate ny and have only driven on clean roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #14
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
I get it - I'm a believer in going with a vehicle that you're excited about owning and driving. Still, you have to make your own decision about the cost vs tradeoff of going used vs. something you could get new with a full warranty for the same $30k. Anitber route to consider would be to look at what local BMW dealers have in stock as certified pre-owned vehicles - you might end up paying more but you'd have the comfort of extra CPO warranty on top of any remaining factory coverage. That said, though - as long as the one you buy has factory warranty left I believe you're still allowed to add an extended warranty through BMW, so there's another potential route if you're concerned about repairs.
All great points....for sure I'll give a local BMW dealer a call and enquire about the extended warranty, If that's possible, I think that make alot of sense. Thanks again.

Last edited by Jonathan0880; 09-21-2019 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
That’s everything so far. The bmw dealership couldn’t explain it and pretty much told me nothing was wrong. I’m in upstate ny and have only driven on clean roads.
Ok, thanks. That's weird, anything is fixable though. Try bringing around to some local mechanics, try to get hold of a BMW engineer (I know, that's probably impossible) but they'll have some answers for you for sure...
Cheers
Appreciate 0