BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) $3 BOV Mod?

05-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
Kennyboy3668
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 M sport

$3 BOV Mod?

I have seem people do that mod on their 3/4 series. Has anybody done it on their X1? Video?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
18BMWX1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMWX1

I am wondering the same thing i want to do this, is this possible? Also is the golf tee mod possible on a 2018 X1? Thanks would love any feedback!!! I can hear a faint whishh between shifts but not loud enough for me lol
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

I've concluded that this mechanically operated valve is strictly for noise reduction, while others have said everything from engine torque increase at lower RPMs to that it allows the cats to warm up quicker... don't know/don't care. Its no "golf tee mod" but it isn't difficult to do with a piece of stiff wire. The exhaust now sounds just a bit louder but with more of a pleasant, lower frequency pitch. Oh, and there's no rasp or burble to it, but best of all, there's also no drone at highway speed. Just nice to see both pipes blowin' smoke on a chilly morning during warm up. My concern was that I would throw a code if I just unplugged the electrical connection. I just loosened the 3-10mm bolts holding the actuator assembly just far enough so that I could remove the spring clip that couples both assemblies. Then I bent a piece of welding electrode (flux removed) that matched the width of the slot on the valve shaft into a "Z" shape, slid it into position in the valve's slot after fully opening the exhaust flap, then secured the ends of the wire to the mounting bracket by bending. Oh, save the spring clip that you've removed - it's $10US to buy if you ever want to revert to OEM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
I've concluded that this mechanically operated valve is strictly for noise reduction, while others have said everything from engine torque increase at lower RPMs to that it allows the cats to warm up quicker... don't know/don't care. Its no "golf tee mod" but it isn't difficult to do with a piece of stiff wire. The exhaust now sounds just a bit louder but with more of a pleasant, lower frequency pitch. Oh, and there's no rasp or burble to it, but best of all, there's also no drone at highway speed. Just nice to see both pipes blowin' smoke on a chilly morning during warm up. My concern was that I would throw a code if I just unplugged the electrical connection. I just loosened the 3-10mm bolts holding the actuator assembly just far enough so that I could remove the spring clip that couples both assemblies. Then I bent a piece of welding electrode (flux removed) that matched the width of the slot on the valve shaft into a "Z" shape, slid it into position in the valve's slot after fully opening the exhaust flap, then secured the ends of the wire to the mounting bracket by bending. Oh, save the spring clip that you've removed - it's $10US to buy if you ever want to revert to OEM.
I agree with your theory that this is purely for noise reduction. I wish there was an option in i-drive to leave the valve open (could be only in sport mode). I would rather have it open all the time as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
18BMWX1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMWX1

Your talking about the exhaust valve mod, and not the BOV right? Anyway to make the BOV louder like the chair cap mod?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:31 AM   #6
ramonE90-NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: bmw F30 320iA

Like to know this bov mod as well.
Appreciate 0