BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 19" Audi Rep Wheel fitment question

01-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Well now that we've had our X1 for a week I'm already thinking about replacing the stock 18" wheels with some 19's with better offsets. I just think the stock 18's fitment leaves a lot to be desired. My research shows that the selection out there is kind of thin so I've moved into looking at some Audi reps. I like this one in particular from Hartmann. They have some good reviews for reps kind of like VMR. I'm eyeing the 19 x 8.5 ET38. Can anyone chime in on whether these would fit fine. Not looking for the pokey look and I've read in some other threads that an ET40 would give me a flush look. I figured 2 more mm's of offset shouldn't be a deal breaker. Comments?

http://shop.achtuning.com/hartmann-h...di-q5-sq5.aspx
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

There is 27mm in the front and 33mm in the back to work with before they will start poking out. So your wheels would be 1 inch wider (so half of that goes on the outside so 13mm wider), then you add another 13mm for the offset (51 minus 38). You get 26mm wider over stock so just about perfect.

I'm a bit worried about the bolt warnings on that website. The Audi uses different bolts (14x1.5 vs 14x1.25) so you can't use them.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
There is 27mm in the front and 33mm in the back to work with before they will start poking out. So your wheels would be 1 inch wider (so half of that goes on the outside so 13mm wider), then you add another 13mm for the offset (51 minus 38). You get 26mm wider over stock so just about perfect.

I'm a bit worried about the bolt warnings on that website. The Audi uses different bolts (14x1.5 vs 14x1.25) so you can't use them.
I'll have to do more research on the bolts. I know I can't use the Audi bolts due to differences in the thread pitch. I was hoping to reuse my stock bolts but it looks like Audi has a "ball seat" style bolt where BMW has a taper style. I'm thinking I would need new "ball seat" style bolts with the stock thread pitch.

I figured actual fitment should be super flush being 26 mm more outboard than stock but I'm worried I won't like the look due to the body tapering inboard as you go down the car effectively looking "pokey". I'm contemplating going with a higher offset like say ET43.

Would be nice to see pics of someone with a similar setup but I'm finding wheel fitment interest and information on the X1 is slim at best
Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      01-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Here's all the info you need on the F48 X1's wheel specs..

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/x1/2017/

You need to match up bolt pattern, center bore (or if your selected wheels have a larger bore..get correct centering rings)...and you need proper lug bolts for the wheels (conical or ball lug bolt seats?) that match the X1' s 14 X 1.25 pitch hub threads....There are websites that will show you dimensions of wheel tire combos to make sure you don't have clearance issues with suspension etc...if you stick with stock tire size and just go for wheels that move the face outward to "flush the face" you don't need to worry about these issues since you'll be increasing the space behind the wheel/tires...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpilot View Post
Here's all the info you need on the F48 X1's wheel specs..

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/x1/2017/

You need to match up bolt pattern, center bore (or if your selected wheels have a larger bore..get correct centering rings)...and you need proper lug bolts for the wheels (conical or ball lug bolt seats?) that match the X1' s 14 X 1.25 pitch hub threads....There are websites that will show you dimensions of wheel tire combos to make sure you don't have clearance issues with suspension etc...if you stick with stock tire size and just go for wheels that move the face outward to "flush the face" you don't need to worry about these issues since you'll be increasing the space behind the wheel/tires...
Yeah I've been to that site as part of my research in the last few days.

I wish BMW would have stayed with the 5 x 120 bolt pattern as it's severely limiting the after market wheel selection (basically no aftermarket BMW wheel will work).

Thank god the bolt pattern and hub bore matches Audi. So just need to get the offsets and bolts right and the Audi wheels should do fine. I know it may be sacrilegious to put an Audi wheel on a BMW but these I believe would look good.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamookie View Post
I figured actual fitment should be super flush being 26 mm more outboard than stock but I'm worried I won't like the look due to the body tapering inboard as you go down the car effectively looking "pokey". I'm contemplating going with a higher offset like say ET43.

Would be nice to see pics of someone with a similar setup but I'm finding wheel fitment interest and information on the X1 is slim at best
You are right about the tapered shape of the fenders. What's flush at the top is well out of the fender on the bottom. My winter tires are seriously bulky despite being the same size as stock (225/50/18). With the wheels sticking out the car gets dirty really fast. I installed mud flaps but it didn't help much. Here is an album
View post on imgur.com
- stock wheels, bulky tires, 15mm front spacer, 20mm rear spacer. With these tires I can't imagine pushing the wheels out by another 11mm, with normal tires (something like 245 on 8.5 rim) it could work for very aggressive look. There is another wheel/tire thread on this forum and bimmerfest that has some good photos.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
Yeah I've been to that site as part of my research in the last few days.

I wish BMW would have stayed with the 5 x 120 bolt pattern as it's severely limiting the after market wheel selection (basically no aftermarket BMW wheel will work).

Thank god the bolt pattern and hub bore matches Audi. So just need to get the offsets and bolts right and the Audi wheels should do fine. I know it may be sacrilegious to put an Audi wheel on a BMW but these I believe would look good.
I know..but don't worry about Audi wheels...I have a nice set of Mini Cosmos on my X1...with Conti DWS tires way better than the OEM tires in the rain/slush/snow. I wanted less ride harshness and tire noise... and going to the Contis with a 55 profile, I got all that! Handling is more than I can use running on the streets and highways around here. The set of wheels off Craig's List were less than 1/2 the price of one OEM wheel and they were spotless...and gloss black so less brake dust hassle!...I got a set of "Alpina" wheel center caps off Ebay that fit the center holes...so no one will be the wiser!
Appreciate 1
coh661191.00
      01-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Well after some research i'm thinking inorder to make the Audi wheels work on my X1 i'll need these adapter's for the bolts.

https://www.ti64.com/product-p/6741.htm

I could not find bolts anywhere that are 14 x 1.25 R12 Ball seat.....These adapters provide a ball seat conversion and will allow me to use my stock conical seat bolts (14 x 1.25"). i just need to make sure I still have 7 turns on the threads. If not i will just buy longer bolts. Hope this helps anyone else who wants to go with Audi wheels on the X1.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #9
bmw_xone
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 28i xDrive F48

Quote:
Well now that we've had our X1 for a week I'm already thinking about replacing the stock 18" wheels with some 19's with better offsets. I just think the stock 18's fitment leaves a lot to be desired. My research shows that the selection out there is kind of thin so I've moved into looking at some Audi reps. I like this one in particular from Hartmann. They have some good reviews for reps kind of like VMR. I'm eyeing the 19 x 8.5 ET38. Can anyone chime in on whether these would fit fine. Not looking for the pokey look and I've read in some other threads that an ET40 would give me a flush look. I figured 2 more mm's of offset shouldn't be a deal breaker. Comments?

http://shop.achtuning.com/hartmann-h...di-q5-sq5.aspx
I'd love to hear how you make out with this Audi setup. I was thinking about doing the exact same thing. Those are one of the best wheel designs Audi has produced imo!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

We are running some BBS SR's for our winter setup in 18's with an ET of 33. I used to run them on my Audi as well as our Golf. The only thing we had to change out was the centering hub. They do look smaller than the 19's that came on the car, but the ride is so soft, especially with winter rubber.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 06:52 PM   #11
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
We are running some BBS SR's for our winter setup in 18's with an ET of 33. I used to run them on my Audi as well as our Golf. The only thing we had to change out was the centering hub. They do look smaller than the 19's that came on the car, but the ride is so soft, especially with winter rubber.
How wide are those rims? Do you have pics?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #12
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

The wheels are 18x8

Here are a couple of pics

Appreciate 0