BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) '17 X1 M-Sport / One Week Review

12-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
NLDoc
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi / 2019 X3 30i

'17 X1 M-Sport / One Week Review

Since I read every review here that I could before purchasing, I thought I'd throw my own thoughts into the mix. Hopefully it'll help someone.

We bought a 2017 demo (14,000 kms) for my wife primarily, and so had no say in options, really. The car has 18" RFT, and is the 28i as we get in Canada.

After purchase, I promptly left for a 1500 mile/2500km road trip, where I really got a chance to try it out. We also have a 2008 X3 and 2011 328xi for comparison.

PROS:

* The interior is really quite good, the best we've owned. The interior lighting is very nice, and all materials seem up to standard. HVAC still has buttons, which I prefer over everything being touch. Temp is in 1c increments, which I actually prefer over the .5c increments on the 328. Less turning of knobs.

* The iDrive system, which I dreaded a bit, has turned out to be quite intuitive and not at all hard to learn. I appreciate the number of things you can do with it, such as split screen, sport display (HP/Torque), and configuring things such as lighting and door locks.

* The M-Sport steering wheel is excellent in all regards.

* The sport seat backs are really good in all respects. The adjustments are great. The bottoms, not so much; more below.

* Exterior styling, always so subjective, is to my mind very nice. They've really done a good job with this one. The Estoril Blue helps this one stand out.

* The car handles very well. Better than our X3, as expected, and not quite as good as our 328, as expected. But better overall than I anticipated.

* The engine is very responsive, especially in Sport Mode. It is also very smooth. I get from 80-120kph more quickly probably than in the 328, but without the satisfying sound or "punch" that one expects. I do miss the 6s that are in both other cars; a turbo 4 will never be quite the same, IMO. Maybe I'm just missing the lovely sound from that straight 6.

* HUD is excellent and well worth it.

* Comfort Access works very well and is a wonderful feature.

* The stereo system is good, but I would have upgraded to the HK system were I buying new.

* Door lock button is moved from the centre stack on past models, to the doors where it belongs

* I have not encountered any of the transmission quirks relative to shifting that some have reported. I've driven it in all 3 modes - ECO STD SPORT - and found it worked very well.

CONS:

* By far, and almost a deal breaker, are the narrowness of the seats, particularly the bottom cushion. We have the sport seats but it's still very narrow.

(My sense is that the BMW seat tester is a chap who wears pants with a 28" waist, and is skinny enough to sit comfortably in his own hat. They sent him out for coffee, and he returned in 20 minutes reporting the seats were fine. I'm not at all wide across the posterior, but sit as men do, with legs spread. This causes the outsides of my legs to ache where they meet the raised edges of these narrow cushions. Perhaps buying a bungie cord and strapping my knees together would do the trick.)

* Very minor - the heated steering wheel button is placed immediately behind the lever to adjust the steering wheel. A very odd choice of placement.

* We've lost the ability to have a separate air temperature coming from the vents in the centre stack; I used this often in the past.

* The car really rides a touch too firm, even on Standard mode, and I've concluded that were I ordering, and when it comes time, I'll go with non-run flats. That will likely put it in the sweet spot for me.

* Heated seats are considerably slower to warm than on the either the X3 or 328. Not sure what's going on there. When it's -25C, that's a bigger deal than one would think.

OVERALL, I'm very pleased. It's a fine car, excellent as SUVs go, seems very well built and upscale. We are not disappointed.

While it does everything well, it does seem to have lost some of the soul of BMW. I'm not sure if it's the front wheel drive, or turbo'd 4, but the driving feel or experience of either the X3 or 328 is not quite there. Engine/trans are just so smooth.

It's almost as if BMW has gone and built the perfect...Honda CRV.
Appreciate 3
simon.922.00
      12-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
lousnook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Nice review. Thank you.

Watch this video, the head designer explain who's the model he used to design the interior dimensions. ( including the seats I assume )

Appreciate 2
      12-14-2017, 01:13 AM   #3
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Thanks! Very valuable!

I am monitoring this site, waiting for X2 M35i (300+bhp, 4 pot) to be introduced.

My main concern is Aisin, because I am spoiled by current ZF. Also somewhat concerned by FWD-biased AWD, but since also SAAB owner not major concern.

Missing "cool" air centre outlet: you can get better="cooler" temperature at head, by increasing fan, lowering temp 1degree and directing more air upwards. Old SAAB trick
Appreciate 1
NLDoc6.00
      12-14-2017, 02:14 AM   #4
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: X1 X-Drive 20i Med Blue

Yes great review and video from Australia.

Wish our roads were like that.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 05:44 AM   #5
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Thanks! Very valuable!

I am monitoring this site, waiting for X2 M35i (300+bhp, 4 pot) to be introduced.

My main concern is Aisin, because I am spoiled by current ZF. Also somewhat concerned by FWD-biased AWD, but since also SAAB owner not major concern.

Missing "cool" air centre outlet: you can get better="cooler" temperature at head, by increasing fan, lowering temp 1degree and directing more air upwards. Old SAAB trick
I'm curious, have you driven an X1 AWD yet? You're always moaning about the X1.

I driven an X4 a number of times and I far prefer the X1 to drive. The X4's NVH is far better, but that's it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #6
Tjalle
Major
Rep

I have done a testdrive with a dealer X1. Overall OK impression, but Aisin and engine sound not up to X4 35i. I can live with engine sound.

In what way is X1 better to drive? Handling, acceleration.....?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #7
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have done a testdrive with a dealer X1. Overall OK impression, but Aisin and engine sound not up to X4 35i. I can live with engine sound.

In what way is X1 better to drive? Handling, acceleration.....?
The X4 I drove was a 20d ( so I can't comment on the 35i ), the front never felt quite 'right' to me, reminded me of an old Honda CBR600 when going around Brands Hatch, just waiting for the front end to give way.

The 25d X1 ( which is a mini really ) is for me, a better drive, I prefer smaller vehicles for the types of single-track roads I end up in. The complaints about the Aisin are over-blown IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
Tjalle
Major
Rep

I was a bit disappointed with steering precision and side wind sensitivity, but after lowering with H&R, steering precision is OK (20") - even better than my 9000 Turbo (18")

You should not drive at Brands Hatch with shitty STD (18"?) Run Flats.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You should not drive at Brands Hatch with shitty STD (18"?) Run Flats.

https://www.bikepics.com/pics/2007/1...25694-full.jpg

^ Is a Honda CBR600 ( not my old one ), I don't recall RTFs being an option ;-)
Appreciate 1
Vogit92.50
      01-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

I thought it was just me about the narrow sport seats. Reason I'm not getting an X1.