BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2 months in - moving from an Evoque

03-07-2017, 03:33 AM   #1
Gavlenko
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (F48) M Sport 2.0d

2 months in - moving from an Evoque

Ok, I've owned my 2.0 X1 M-sport x-drive for almost two months after changing from a relatively new 2016MY evoque due to quality issues.

Initial thoughts on the X1 is that it is a much more driver focussed car with a great engine (far more responsive) albeit slightly gruffer on idle.

I'm loving the autobox (sooo smooth) and the reversing camera is really useful. A few initial teething problems around using the connected drive system - not being a bmw regular but I'm getting to grips with it and all seems good.

Things I miss however are heated front screen, puddle lamps, front sensors and the higher driving position - but I'm a convert and can see me driving this car for many years to come.

I'll post some more pics in time.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:44 AM   #2
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Congrats Gavlenko.

Interesting to hear your comments on the Evoque as I would have been considering Evoque if there had been a Petrol engine version without totally breaking the bank.

First time we sat in an X1 in showroom it just felt right. 10 months later I know I made the right choice. My first BMW but absolutely no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:44 AM   #3
TC3
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xdrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavlenko View Post
Ok, I've owned my 2.0 X1 M-sport x-drive for almost two months after changing from a relatively new 2016MY evoque due to quality issues.

Initial thoughts on the X1 is that it is a much more driver focussed car with a great engine (far more responsive) albeit slightly gruffer on idle.

I'm loving the autobox (sooo smooth) and the reversing camera is really useful. A few initial teething problems around using the connected drive system - not being a bmw regular but I'm getting to grips with it and all seems good.

Things I miss however are heated front screen, puddle lamps, front sensors and the higher driving position - but I'm a convert and can see me driving this car for many years to come.

I'll post some more pics in time.
Congrats on the new car. I am guessing you got it 2nd hand as you are missing a few options you would have liked it would seem?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I was considering an Evouqe before getting the X1 for my wife as it is a striking looking vehicle, but a few things put me off...

It's got odd dimensions, short but very wide

The underlying chassis is quite old, basically an old Freelander

Rear legroom is tight

Quality concerns, my sister has one and it's spent a lot of time at the dealership

Driving dynamics not great

All in all I'm really pleased with the X1
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:47 AM   #5
Gavlenko
Enlisted Member
Rep

No - I bought the car new but it was a stock car and although I got a cracking deal it did miss a few of what I would term desirable (but not essential) options. That said having driven a variety of cars over the years this is by far the best driving machine I've ever owned and the x-drive system (I know there has been other posts around the system) really makes you feel confident on any road surface in any condition. I am very very pleased and don't miss the constant warning lights and visits to the dealership which I encountered with the evoque.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:50 AM   #6
Gavlenko
Enlisted Member
Rep

Beastie boy of the evoque owners forum how are you keeping what model of X1 did you purchase and how long have you been running it. My wife drives a 2 series active tourer (m-sport) which is very very similar inside to the X1 and has loads of interior space and kit as she bought it as ex-management - she has extended light package front and rear sensors sliding bench seat folding mirrors sports etc
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #7
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

When I brought my X1 home for the 1st time, my neighbour came out for a chat about my new car. He mentioned his daughter had had an Evoque but changed it after only 6 months. He said they were unhappy with the lack of room in the car. From what's being said here, maybe there were other issues too.
Had my X1 xDrive20i M-sport for 6 months now, done 5500 miles, no issues (so far )
      03-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #8
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavlenko View Post
Beastie boy of the evoque owners forum how are you keeping what model of X1 did you purchase and how long have you been running it. My wife drives a 2 series active tourer (m-sport) which is very very similar inside to the X1 and has loads of interior space and kit as she bought it as ex-management - she has extended light package front and rear sensors sliding bench seat folding mirrors sports etc
You may have me mixed up with someone else... never had an Evouqe. We have an X1 20i M Sport MW on Mocha. Had it for 10 months and had no issues at all, although I don't drive it too much myself I've been off work recently so have spent more time in it. I really like this car, a great family vehicle with lots of space but compact external dimensions. I've also really enjoyed having a petrol engine again after years of diesels.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
Gavlenko
Enlisted Member
Rep

sorry beasty am I bad - glad to hear that you are enjoying the X1 and I'd agree it is a great vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

The Evoque, while interesting looking, with a fairly nice interior, seems really impractical and cramped, and doesn't have the driving performance to match its somewhat sporty looking exterior. Not sure what it's going for, other than having the Land Rover tag and cool name and eye catching usual design. The X1 wins out in every driving category, and practicality, except interior design looks and lame base seats. Oh and price!