07-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0i x-drive Sport AW

12v Sockets

Where is the 12V socket in the boot????
The handbook seems to show it in exactly the same place as the seat folding switch, but all I can see when I look is the switch. If it's there it would be a handy place to run my inverter to charge my wheelchair or scooter batteries.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

On this video (go to 30:50) it shows the 12v socket located in the boot to the right-hand side; the car in the video also has the power folding seat switches.

Is yours the same?
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Many thanks SDB. I realised where it was just after I posted the question.
Thats what happens when you looks for things on a hot day after a few painkillers. (Don't worry folks I don't drive when I'm on them)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No worries
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I seem to be missing a 12v socket in the compartment below the centre armrest, right where you would want to store a phone! It's shown in the handbook, but it's definitely not there; I've got a USB socket and an Aux In socket, but no power socket underneath them where it's supposed to be

There's an outlet in front of the two cupholders, one in the rear of the centre armrest for rear passengers, and the one in the boot. But not having one in the centre armrest is going to be a pita for charging phones!

I'm assuming / hoping that there's another one under the passenger footwell for the dashcam. Is anyone else missing the under-armrest outlet??
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL
I seem to be missing a 12v socket in the compartment below the centre armrest, right where you would want to store a phone! It's shown in the handbook, but it's definitely not there; I've got a USB socket and an Aux In socket, but no power socket underneath them where it's supposed to be

There's an outlet in front of the two cupholders, one in the rear of the centre armrest for rear passengers, and the one in the boot. But not having one in the centre armrest is going to be a pita for charging phones!

I'm assuming / hoping that there's another one under the passenger footwell for the dashcam. Is anyone else missing the under-armrest outlet??
Don't think they have had them in the console at all?

Guess run from one under the pax dash board & try &route the lead neatly to your phone.

Or use the USB in the armrest to charge?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
AFAIK there's never been one there in the F48.

In every X1 I've driven/sat in/looked at online, I've only ever seen an Aux-In & USB connection in the front armrest.

There are 4 12v sockets, one by the front cupholders, one by the air vents for rear passengers, one in the boot and one in the front footwell/under the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I was getting my hopes up based on reading the handbook before I got the car. That suggests that there is / was one but maybe it's market-specific or just a discontinued option now... I plan to keep one of several USB thumb drives loaded with music files in the USB socket, so the armrest outlet seemed like a good choice to power a phone or phones. As you say I might have to loko at running a cable or just using the compartment in front of the cup holders for charging. The armrest would have been a better location though
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:
I was getting my hopes up based on reading the handbook before I got the car. That suggests that there is / was one but maybe it's market-specific or just a discontinued option now.
I watched a review on YouTube of the F48 X1 done by a chap in Malaysia. He did some detailed shots inside the car and you could clearly see a 12V socket in the compartment below the armrest (along with the USB & Aux inputs).
As you say, this is either market specific or has been discontinued.
      07-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
BimmerX1
Rep
Drives: 2016 F48 X1 SDrive 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post

Guess run from one under the pax dash board & try &route the lead neatly to your phone.

I guess maybe it's market specific. I have one, and mine is an s drive 2.0d base level car. In India we don't get to build it to spec. Mine is the lowest trim level.
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #11
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I was getting my hopes up based on reading the handbook before I got the car. That suggests that there is / was one but maybe it's market-specific or just a discontinued option now... I plan to keep one of several USB thumb drives loaded with music files in the USB socket, so the armrest outlet seemed like a good choice to power a phone or phones. As you say I might have to loko at running a cable or just using the compartment in front of the cup holders for charging. The armrest would have been a better location though
Same as me Clive, the handbook says it's there but it definitely isn't. There is one under the passenger footwell ideal for dashcam. I run a small cable from the rear passenger socket through the gap under the armrest to my phone in the centre console. It's all so much tidier than my last car which only had one socket, I had to use one of those "can" things that fit in the cupholder to give me extra sockets to plug in the dashcam, phone,satnav. If I then needed my inverter I had to unplug everything.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #12
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:

I don't have it either. Based on MrTracey comment (Malaysian review) and BimmerX1 (India), I'd agree it's market specific.

I've been using the under-armrest USB port to charge my iPhone without any problems. In fact, it's powerful enough to charge my iPad too. The phone mount is next to the A-pillar, connected via a long braided Belkin Lightning cable and one of THESE to relieve any tension on the cable/socket. I've had it for nearly five years now. It's an absolute life saver.

There is one under the glovebox. See the dash-cam thread for more photos.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #14
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
I don't have it either. Based on MrTracey comment (Malaysian review) and BimmerX1 (India), I'd agree it's market specific.
Yeah... It's market-specific. US version is missing the 12v outlet under the armrest as well. Not clear on the reasoning behind it...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #15
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It's interesting to see that it's not just the UK that's missing this socket. And sorry for hijacking the original thread Saintsman

I've ordered a dual-socket 12v adapter with USB outlets with an angled connector that I'm planning on using in the footwell socket, and then run my dashcam out of one socket, and then running a hidden cable along and under the central console and up to the armrest. Hopefully with a bit of cable management this should be neat and tidy, and will reduce the projection out of the footwell socket, as the dashcam plug is quite long and with this adapter I should be able to mount it horizontally and reduce the chance of an accidental kick...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
ScottishX1
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16 X1 F48 25D M-Sport Estoril

Garage List
Quote:

Mine is the same, rear boor, rear seating console area and front of console next to cup holders, which it a silly place since trailing cables then interfere with the cups in the holder......that's the 3 i have found so far, will update if i find any more
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #17
ScottishX1
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16 X1 F48 25D M-Sport Estoril

Garage List
Actually just checked mine using above pic and i have a 4th above passengers feet under the glovebox, might try to remove this and glovebox and try to run cables for phone/dash cam up behind this panel so its all hidden, don't want passenger kicking the cables sticking out of the socket.
Appreciate 0